Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm slowly making small changes and trying new things with the DX (very slowly compared to past bikes, it's hard to improve on near perfection).

Latest changes are dropped mirrors (wife hates em, I love em...perfect), front signal relocation, blacked out screens, PM/Renthal grips ($$$ but they rock!), and a more subtle version of the Kieron pinstriping experiment (whatcha think?)....

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Blacked out screens.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did you do the screens or have them powder coated? What did you use to re-lo the front turn signals? I am looking into that. I need to post some of my mods. I have been going crazy.

·
knit whit
1,413 Posts
Looks good! :thumb: Dunno why they just didn't do that from factory to begin with. I did the same thing. Pinstripe good. Not to much, not to little, jussst right.

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the screens myself using gloss black and clear coat (rattle can). Brake screens were easy. Intake screens weren't too bad because they were big enough to handle (the screens are held in my bent tabs, which are a pain to deal with). The coolant hose screen was the worst, and if I did it again I'd just mask it off and shoot it instead of removing it. Getting it back on took me forever.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks good. What did you use to do the orange pinstripe? Really considering doing something like that myself.

·
#1 Red Wings Fan
138 Posts
That looks sweet..... Your on to something here... Is the pinstripe tape or paint? That's the perfect touch for the denim....

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's cheap tape (red) from the local auto parts store, just like Kieron did. Once I decide on the look, I'll have it painted on.

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
Looks great!!! I like everything you did :)

Would like to get my turn signals tucked in like yours, that looks much better.

How do you like the mirrors that way? Can you see better behind you?

·
Back in Black
212 Posts
Most cool. The blacked out screens look really smick. :thumb:

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The signal relocation kit was from Drag Specialties. It's puts the signals tighter than the HD version.

Visibility is WAY better with the mirrors underneath, although it does take awhile to get used to looking down to check behind you.

·
INVICTUS
127 Posts
I had some questions before reading the whole thread. Looks good.

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The grips were expensive ($148 with shipping) but I love them. They fit the bike perfectly and are very comfortable.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Finch,

You actually improved upon perfection... I too think the pin-striping job you did is better than Kieron's, no offense to K, but you're is just a little more subtle and to my personal liking more.

I've got the black levers coming next week...

As for the screens, nice touch, but I'd have gone with flat black as they're easier to touch up than the gloss.

I really dont care for the upside down mirrors, but's thats just me... it just seems goofy! yeah, I know the reason why, but part of this bike for me is about "image", and I think upside down mirrors make people say "hey look at that dork", not that you're a dork, just what others might think... again, just my opinion which doesnt count more than 2 cents or the next post.

Anyway, great job on your mods...

You just need pipes now! Make it sound as good as it looks!

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
Mark Ducati said:
...people say "hey look at that dork", not that you're a dork, just what others might think...
People say that to me...after I take my gear off :)

Ah, but for a time, while I am riding (and covered head to toe) I am not a dork ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
For the front turn signal relocators from Drag Specialties:

Are these the ones you got? Do we need the 41mm or 39mm set? Less than $30 bucks seems like a great deal!

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll try to find the part number for you, but those aren't the right ones. The kit I used just replaces the fork pinch bolts with a bolt that will take the signals on the ends.

The pipes are gutted, so there is plenty of sound there. :D

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70294

1 - 20 of 32 Posts