Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Another tire thread... Before I get flamed, I did use the search and found a lots of threads with contradicting info... Hence this post

So i would like to know if the Metz (marathon 880me) is a tire that will get me more performance or more durability?? I'm having a hard time picturing a tire that will offer both since softer coumponds offers better grip but less life and vice versa... Well you know the deal

So all I get from this point are contradictory infos... My dealer tells me the Marathon is a harder coumpound and will last longer than the D-207 (dunlops) but that the d-207 offers better performance... Which contradicts most of the posts I have read here... But the same posts also report higher mileage... That don't add up to me. Unless the best of both worlds exists in one tire?

So can someone tell me what time it is ??

P.s: I value performance over durability so input from those of you who ride a little harder would be appreciated. Avon's are rare breed up here so there pretty much out

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
In my personal experience, the Dunlop 207's don't inspire my confidence. I have experience slippage on roads at times when I shouldn't have and also the occasional unexpected rear brake lock up. They also developed a flat spot on the rear tire after just a few thousand miles. The front tire also started cupping pretty badly. They do make for a nice burnout though...

The Metz 880's are much more reliable, didn't develop a flat spot and are much more trustworthy in the corners. To me they felt stickier and I thought there was a better feel for the road. The front tire is wearing great as well.

But like I said, that's just my personal experience. I ran proper air pressure in bot sets of tires and I don't ride like an absolute maniac.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
I had the 207's on my bike when first purchased and didn't really care for them. Put Metz ME880's on as a second set and really liked them. Now I have Dunlop 208's on and they seem to be a good tire as well. I rode with those at Deal's Gap and they got sticky as hell and had no issues with performance on the curves or traveling there and back.

For me, if I buy another set, I will go with the Metz. Like Nightmare said, they seem to wear better and have better all weather performance.

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers guys... I know this subject has been beatten to death :banghead:

NightMare said:
In my personal experience, the Dunlop 207's don't inspire my confidence. I have experience slippage on roads at times when I shouldn't have and also the occasional unexpected rear brake lock up. They also developed a flat spot on the rear tire after just a few thousand miles.
I get the exact same symptoms with my D-207.. I was set on the Metz until I walked into the stealer this morning and the guy at counter bragging 30 years plus on the road told me the metz were definetely harder than the D's and that I should expect more mileage but not better performance... I am nOOb so what do i know??

With a few uneasy slips in corners, it kinda threw me off because I'm looking to get sticky in the corners... I'm starting to push a little harder in the corners and had a few heart stoppers that i'd like to avoid in the future

·
Vrodder since 2004
4,514 Posts
NightMare said:
In my personal experience, the Dunlop 207's don't inspire my confidence. I have experience slippage on roads at times when I shouldn't have and also the occasional unexpected rear brake lock up. They also developed a flat spot on the rear tire after just a few thousand miles. The front tire also started cupping pretty badly. They do make for a nice burnout though...

The Metz 880's are much more reliable, didn't develop a flat spot and are much more trustworthy in the corners. To me they felt stickier and I thought there was a better feel for the road. The front tire is wearing great as well.

But like I said, that's just my personal experience. I ran proper air pressure in bot sets of tires and I don't ride like an absolute maniac.
:them: The Metz outperforms the Dunlop in my opinion and the wear is definately more even with no cupping.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Irréductible said:
I get the exact same symptoms with my D-207.. I was set on the Metz until I walked into the stealer this morning and the guy at counter bragging 30 years plus on the road told me the metz were definetely harder than the D's and that I should expect more mileage but not better performance... I am nOOb so what do i know??

With a few uneasy slips in corners, it kinda threw me off because I'm looking to get sticky in the corners... I'm starting to push a little harder in the corners and had a few heart stoppers that i'd like to avoid in the future
That's because the DEALERS carry Dunlops as stock...they "have" to push them. The first time I walked into the dealer looking for Metz, they said they couldn't get them, even though there were a ton of aftermarket books on the counter. Uh, yeah ok, so I walked out and bought them online myself. NOW, the dealer will get the other tires. Figures.
Get what you want based on your research.

(get the Metz! :) )

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
Yup.. Get the Metz.... Stickier and better wear IMHO.

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NightMare said:
That's because the DEALERS carry Dunlops as stock...they "have" to push them.
That's what I figured but I thought it wouldn't hurt to double check before making a 500$ blunder :dance:

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Salut mike,

Metz rear (180) 198.99$CAD @ motointer vs 154.95 $US online
Metz Front 147.99$CAD @ motointer vs 119.95$US online

I don't think it's worth the trouble to order online unless you have a good pointer for me :deal: .. What do you think?

Thanks!

P.S: won't go with the 200... I want to keep the bike agile as possible

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vrod-Mike said:
The Metz are so much better then the Dunlops. Especially in the rain.
Another good reason... Also had a few scares locking the front on wet surface. Got better control now with some experience, but that was even scarier than rear slip-up in a curve :wazzup:

·
1130cc.com PITFA
2,883 Posts
I'm on Dunlops and have had 0 problems, but, I have noticed that the tread on my Duns do not match some of the tread patterns on the V's that do still have Duns on them. I don't know if the DX came with a better tire or a different tire than the other models came with.

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kamots881 said:
I'm on Dunlops and have had 0 problems, but, I have noticed that the tread on my Duns do not match some of the tread patterns on the V's that do still have Duns on them. I don't know if the DX came with a better tire or a different tire than the other models came with.
It should say D-207 on the side (Big letters) or otherwise

·
1130cc.com PITFA
2,883 Posts
Front: D208F F120/70ZR19 60W
Rear: D419 240/40R18 79V

Different numbers, not being a tire person....exactly what does that mean?

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
Yup.. buying it at moto inter makes sense since you will want them to install it unless you own a tire installer.

Front 120/70ZR19M/CTL 60W ME880F - 34 PSI - 3.0 INCHES
Rear 180/55ZR18M/CTL (74W) ME880 - 36 PSI - 5.5 INCHES

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hey Irreductible,

I agree you should go for the Metz but be sure to go for the Z rated tires. They make the 180/55 Z rated for the V-Rods and you can find 200/50 Z rated on the web. I'm sure you can order one at Moto International/Harley Montreal if you ask. It will be cheaper on-line but you'll pay duty/import taxes.

Now about the conflincting stories. It is true that the D-207 is a softer compound tire. And in some applications will be a better tire. For example a perfectly smooth race track on a hot day. These are sticky tires and they don't last long. They have a tendancy to overheat and wear out. That causes the flat spot and cupping everyone is talking about. It's not a great tire for such a heavy bike and it's not touring freindly!

The Metzlers are better because they have the perfect combination of tread design, rubber compound and wall construction that allows the tire to last long, perform well in tight turns, and perform well in wet weather. They are better for most heavy bikes.

Now if you put the D-207 tires on a Buell that's another story...

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Irréductible said:
Ok Another tire thread... Before I get flamed, I did use the search and found a lots of threads with contradicting info... Hence this post

So i would like to know if the Metz (marathon 880me) is a tire that will get me more performance or more durability?? I'm having a hard time picturing a tire that will offer both since softer coumponds offers better grip but less life and vice versa... Well you know the deal

So all I get from this point are contradictory infos... My dealer tells me the Marathon is a harder coumpound and will last longer than the D-207 (dunlops) but that the d-207 offers better performance... Which contradicts most of the posts I have read here... But the same posts also report higher mileage... That don't add up to me. Unless the best of both worlds exists in one tire?

So can someone tell me what time it is ??

P.s: I value performance over durability so input from those of you who ride a little harder would be appreciated. Avon's are rare breed up here so there pretty much out
I disagree with most saying, the Metz are the better tire, My Dunplops thanks to the Dragon are getter rather worn. I'm going to a 200mm Avons. Avons are a true radial and 90% of the SuperBikes are winning trophies on Avons. Avon use to be a car/bike tire, but now they concentrate on bikes only. You say Avons are a rare breed, I disagree with that too, here's your contact: phone# 801-487-6733 MotorSports Inc. the rear tire is $158.95 plus $21.95 for shipping. The next time the Dragon calls me, I'll be shoe'd with Avon Venoms!:notworth:

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the input Peter

Moto inter has the Z rated and I'm ordering today... As I was set to do this morning before beeing set off course..

I'll take you up on the ride shortly Peter... I handling the tire change and getting the rear fxed this week (some m*r*n crashed me form th erear while i was stopped at a light... sorry didn't see you)

Mike, what i was thinking... Thanks for your help!

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
My weekends are pretty booked up the next several weeks.. but if you guys want to do an evening get together somewhere, let me know.

We could invite Laconia76 as well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts