·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Yea, Tires can kill you.

Had an Avon rear tire on my Triumph triple that got a separation within the right side of the tire carcass that made it difficult to steer to the right - also noticed a small thump thump at certain lower speeds - no visual clues of anything wrong so when I got back from a trip to the mountains I jacked it up and rotated it, right side had a 1/4 to 3/8 rise and fall separation, but no visible cracks. I checked the NHTSA website and found earlier tires than mine were involved in bad accidents and recalls. I called Avon to inform them that my newer tire had a separation and was met with a Ho Hum like I was trying to get something for free, and was told to just buy a new tire, which I did, no further problems with Avon tires but yea, tire production can be a sweatshop business with iffy quality. Also had a front tire that while riding lost air, when I pulled the front brake hard to avoid a van the tire spun on the rim, yanked the inner tube stem out, and blewout on an old Goldwing, we almost had a head on. Check your pressure before every ride, inspect tires when cleaning your bike, and if you feel something a little strange go with your instincts jack it up asap and don't keep riding - your life might depend on it. Oh - and don't trust tire companies, and don't ride on tires older than about 6 years - it's just not worth it. :blahblah: :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts