Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i got back from HK over the weekend and have been straight back on the bike all this week. I forgot how bad these stock tyres are in this weather. Pieces of shite.

·
Registered
962 Posts
to be honest i have ridden on both Dunlops and the Cobras on the Vrod in the wet and both are bad !

i was a confindent rider in the wet on my sportsbikes ,but the Vrod is shockingly bad in the wet compared , the back end is horrible in the wet, so dont expect the Avon's to be any better in the wet , they way better in the dry tho !

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I love when someone gets on here and says something true instead of just babbling about how awesome something is.

Convincing one's self that something is perfect and is the greatest thing ever after spending a bunch of money on it must just be an American thing.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I run Metz and the backend slides with them.

So long as you know what the bike is going to do, you can have fun.

I know if I create too much torque on the rear wheel when it is wet it will over take me.

It puts a big smile on my face, and a look of horror on the faces of other road users. :D

On the other hand, the front end is really stable.

I guess that the key is learning to ride in the wet :hidesbeh:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

So long as you know what the bike is going to do, you can have fun.

I know if I create too much torque on the rear wheel when it is wet it will over take me.

It puts a big smile on my face, and a look of horror on the faces of other road users. :D

On the other hand, the front end is really stable.

Very true indeed. Almost every time i pull off from the front of a queue of traffic my bike tries to go sideways. The scariest shit is when you go around roundabouts and you can feel the bike slipping underneath you.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Very true Ben!This is not a good bike to ride in the wet.But have learned to live with it.

·
Red Rod Rider
244 Posts
Mine had Dunlops fitted when i bought her & she'd spin the rear wheel in the dry on cold days.. changed them for Metz ME880's, much better in all conditions..

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
The Dunlops were absolutely horrid in the cool, damp, and especially the wet riding conditions. I found Metzeler to be a huge improvement over the Dunlops in all conditions. for my style of riding on this 700lb beast of a bike. Dry roads I would place Pirellis a good 25% above the Metz. No comment on wet conditions for the Pirellis as I don't consider the "rain" we get in CA to be a fair comparison to the rain riding I did back east.

·
Registered
962 Posts

i love it when the ego takes over ! i know you perhaps meant this in jest ! but i have ridden many bikes in the wet and raced at club level on track in the wet, lets see if you can keep up on the "rod"

the Rod is the worst bike i have ever ridden in wet weather, thats not saying i cant ride it in the wet.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
i love it when the ego takes over ! i know you perhaps meant this in jest ! but i have ridden many bikes in the wet and raced at club level on track in the wet, lets see if you can keep up on the "rod"

the Rod is the worst bike i have ever ridden in wet weather, thats not saying i cant ride it in the wet.
Evenin' all. I sold mine 18 months ago, the wet behaviour is the reason i couldnt have another.I had 2 front wheel lock ups,The rake angle makes it too easy for the front tyre to glide across the surface,whereas my xjr1300 tyre pushes down into the road when i brake hard.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts

:)

Never thought of it as an ego thing.

hey ho.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So i need a new back tyre - stock tyres are on now and the front is almost new (shop fitted it when i bought it) - was thinking of Avon but now wondering.....

Never had a problem in the dry - got to go for MOt tomorrow so we will see what it is like in the wet and very cold

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
anything but Dunlop and you will be quite happy.
I finally got caught in a real rainstorm with the Pirellis for two hours. They performed excellent at all speeds from 0 to 100mph. My sustained speed was 80mph with not even a hint of losing traction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts