Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pretty well settled in with the idea of having an all metric bike, until I went looking for titanium fasteners to go with my BST wheels for the rotors and cush drive.

Lo and behold - rear wheel compensator bowl & rotor bolts are SAE. I oftentimes wonder WTF the rocket scientists in Milwaukee are thinking sometimes.

They must despise V Rod owners as much as the airheads do...

The search continues (or I stick to stainless)...

Rick

(sigh - almost done). Fork tubes back from PVD coating friday, up to cyclerama Monday for a (hopefully) correct dyno base tune on my ThunderCrap (or it gets chucked into Tampa Bay), then up to Atlanta to get my AK-20's installed at Traxxion Dynamics. Get the BST's & Lyndall composites on an this project is DONE! (right)...

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
You aint been around the business very long,have you?
This is just a nick off the block of what is involved in twisting wrenches for a living.All you have is one vehicle.I run into dead ends almost every single day.I do all of it.The book keeping,parts ordering,sales,phone,technical,shop and vehicle maintenance,pickup and delivery,plus I rebuild 1 or 2 transmissions a day,along with a custom job on a motorcycle every now and then.
In a few minutes,when I'm done playing on this computer,I'm going to mix 10 80# bags of concrete for a slab and roof that will house my new hot tank for cleaning parts.the phone will ring 25 times every 15 minute,but not until I have a bag of concrete over my shoulder.:)

Finding a bolt is easy.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
how do you like your rims?

·
Registered
627 Posts
The headlight is a prime example. It takes a 15mm socket and a metric allen to remove the faring. Then if you want to take the headlight out, its mounted with 1/4-20 allen head standard bolts.

·
'04 1300
3,071 Posts
It's not a hard/fast rule of thumb, but typically anything on the VRSC that's shared with the other HD models is SAE, and anything that's V-rod specific is metric.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how do you like your rims?
Seems like I have to re-invent the wheel to use them.

Rotor offset for front wheel is WRONG. Been on the phone with Brock - Sharkey is great, love him to death - but rocket scientist he ain't. Haven't even gotten to play with the rear wheel, but it looks ok (on paper at least). Decided I'm NOT going to paint them either, they just look too good to cover up (even though I'm going for the blacked out look).

Rotors mounted on stock wheel measure 5.393" (136.98mm) from outer surface to outer surface. Rotors mounted on BST wheels measure 5.653"(143.59mm) a difference of .26" (6.61mm). So the hub face(s) need to be machined .13" (3.3mm) on each side. (Not) Coincidentally, the rotor sits .118" (2.99mm) HIGHER than the surface of the mounting boss - meaning - despite the fact that the wheel hubs measure out EXACTLY to the spec sheet published by BST - the fitment is WRONG.

Need to skype South Africa in the morning to get advice/written permission (so I don't void the warranty) to have the hubs rotor mounting point(s) machined to the CORRECT DIMENSIONS - as I am NOT going to mod the stock calipers or forks to accommodate the offset of the rotors.

Haven't gotten the correct ceramic bearings in hand yet for these either - so I haven't even gotten close to "dry-fitting" the wheels for properly sizing the spacers.

So yes - titanium hardware and the fact that (said hardware) for the front wheel is Metric and the rear SAE is really the least of my worries. If I don't get some satisfactory answers by weeks end - these wheels are GOING BACK, and I'm either sticking with stock - or perhaps the reactor wheels (which WILL just "bolt on").

Don't have any issues really doing the research, due diligence and engineering to make these wheels work - and they are really bad-ass wheels, but I refuse to have to "re-invent the wheel" (so to speak) to be able to use them.

OTOH, while the BST spec sheet says -2006 V Rod, and aside from the spacer/bearing changes to accommodate the ABS system, not a helluva a lot has changed on this setup.

Thank the internet gods for SKYPE...

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts