Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 VRSCF
I just wish these Harley dealers service department were a little bit more up front with me.
It woulbe so much easier to trust them.
Now that I have vented a little, I would like to ask if anyone out there could tell me what the DTC code # 0113 actually is, I would appreciate the information so much because they will be here to pick it up Thursday. It would be nice too know before they get me for another half a K.
Thanks for hearing me out on this.
Dino

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
2014 VRSCF
I just wish these Harley dealers service department were a little bit more up front with me.
Now that I have vented a little, I would like to ask if anyone out there could tell me what the DTC code # 0113 actually is, I would appreciate the information so much because they will be here to pick it up Thursday. It would be nice too know before they get me for another half a K.
Dino
That's the IAT sensor code. Intake Air Temperature sensor is mounted in the lid of the the air cleaner box. If you are seeing it as a historic code then it is most likely the bike has been started with the airbox lid removed, but if it keeps coming back after it has been cleared so is a live code then you need to check to see if the sensor plug has been left off or is not pushed all the way on.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
That's the IAT sensor code. Intake Air Temperature sensor is mounted in the lid of the the air cleaner box. If you are seeing it as a historic code then it is most likely the bike has been started with the airbox lid removed, but if it keeps coming back after it has been cleared so is a live code then you need to check to see if the sensor plug has been left off or is not pushed all the way on.
Or you can be like I did the other day. Forgot to plug it in after mucking around in the air box. LOL
Ron

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks seems like it might just be the club to be in lol.
I can't help but to wonder what John at the service dept would have charged me for that, him and a few of the other guys would've loved that

·
Greg
604 Posts
Interest
2014 VRSCF
Dino
Interesting
2014 VRSCF
Dino
interesting thread. If I got this right, you called a Harley dealer and scheduled an appointment for them to come and pick up your bike because it was throwing a code? Then you post on a forum in search of a solution, and basically insult all Harley dealers? Glad you found the answer but next time your bike throws a code I advise you check here first before you call the dealer!

Reactions: Chencho

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You don't have it right, you have made more than one assumption and we all know assumptions are the mother of all screw ups.
Let me clarify for you.
1. Yes I did call the dealership that I had trusted enough to do over 6000.00 dollars worth of work on my Harley just a little over a month ago.
2. I never once said anything negative about my dealership whom I have a great amount of respect for.
3. I asked service what that code was all about and the service writer told me that we should get that v rod in there and offered to pick it up.
4. I asked again what the definition of the code was and if he couldn't tell me then let me speak with my mechanic. The mechanic couldn't come to the phone, understandably so.
5. He scheduled the pickup.
6.we said good bye and hung up.
7. I came on the forum and found out that the reason was because of my own doing. Hence the expression of humility.
8. I called the service department and canceled the pickup and explained way.
9. We ended our conversation with a good laugh.
10. Now the point of all of this is it all could've been avoided if he would've told me what the code was.
11. In addition to that point it brings back to a individual who is critical and assuming. Much like yourself.
Maybe next try not to read between the lines.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
You don't have it right, you have made more than one assumption and we all know assumptions are the mother of all screw ups.
Let me clarify for you.
1. Yes I did call the dealership that I had trusted enough to do over 6000.00 dollars worth of work on my Harley just a little over a month ago.
2. I never once said anything negative about my dealership whom I have a great amount of respect for.
3. I asked service what that code was all about and the service writer told me that we should get that v rod in there and offered to pick it up.
4. I asked again what the definition of the code was and if he couldn't tell me then let me speak with my mechanic. The mechanic couldn't come to the phone, understandably so.
7. I came on the forum and found out that the reason was because of my own doing. Hence the expression of humility.
10. Now the point of all of this is it all could've been avoided if he would've told me what the code was.
11. In addition to that point it brings back to a individual who is critical and assuming. Much like yourself.
Don't know about why the dealer didn't know what the code was. As with most of us it's etched into memory and it's just part time fixing for us. Basically it's a code most of us never even look up any more, knowing what it is. Now you know that too from now on. Standard HD and a few other brands temp sensor EFI code. Mind you, the v rod is more susceptible for this error due to the air box, but still. Anyway, glad it's sorted out.
Ron

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, I do know now and have written it down in my manual.
Likely even at my age I will not forget, but still a chance I may.
I have had my bike serviced in many different states from west to east and back again and quality of work does vary in different degrees.
I like to think I'm a good steward concerning my bike and though there are a few things I do myself because I love the hands on, I leave most of the work beyond detailing to the professionals.
I don't use any one other than a v rod certified technician for most of my work, tire replacement is another thing, but even after that I still check rear wheel alignment and belt tension and adjust if needed.
I have a good v rod tech now and wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone.
I can say this that not all Harley dealers are so detail minded and I have three dealerships across the country I know are dedicated to quality.
I've been to many many more than three over the past nearly 6 years of travel.
Not every dealer would I give such a recommendation too, but would say you'd do better more times than not to stick with Harley dealer service than any other.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dtc codes are generic. All manufacturers use the same ones. Bikes, autos, whatever (with the exception of some European manufacturers who generate their own stuff, but that's a whole nother discussion) point being you can google ANY dtc code and at a minimum it will point you in the correct direction.
Good luck, and happy you got it resolved.

John

·
Registered
294 Posts
Let me clarify for you.
- 10. Now the point of all of this is it all could've been avoided if he would've told me what the code was.
Beg pardon but:
1. Honestly, you could have just Googled VROD DTC code # 0113 and avoided writing a thesis paper.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly I did Google and YouTube it multiple times and never got a definitive answer, that was the very 1st thing I did.
So what other suggestions do you have?
I exhausted all my personal resources before I contacted my Dealer.
I'm sticking with my original statement .
Something as simple as what that was I believe my mechanic would have told me had he been allowed to speak with me when I called.
I have no doubt that the service writer if he even knew what it was , was only doing his job of bringing in another few dollars.
If I had not been so frustrated with what happened and not finding any results in my attempts to resolve the problem and spent more time online I might have stumbled across it.
I still stand with my assessment that even as a courtesy of just telling me what the code meant after I had just already invested enough money to buy another used Harley would have been a good thing towards customer satisfaction and relationship.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts