Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience using these drop in baffles at the connection from head pipes to muffler?
Seems as though there is a need for back pressure with aftermarket exhausts as well.

If anyone can chime in with some knowledge or experience that would be great.
This sizing would work with my application

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
I was tempted by those to quiet a Bub7 2-1 but I thought to use them on the muffler exit not at the head pipe to muffler connection - might work but 60 MM seems small for a 2.5" pipe but using I.D might be OK they should be tight so measure pipe I.D. first then order - that honeycomb core must be quite restrictive but hey you never know till you try - at that price give 'em a shot are you intending on trying to use two on a stock V Rod 2-1-2 muffler exhaust ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This would be going into a custom danmoto pipe. The size seems right for my setup. But like you, I’ve been thinking of an end cap type baffle to quiet it down.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
All I can say is the REVO engine likes to have an open exhaust - short stroke & high Rpm require the exhaust to exit without too much restriction to take advantage of collector scavenging for the other cylinder. Yes, a bit of back pressure is needed maybe a couple PSI to retain torque but if it's snubbed down too much it'll steal high Rpm Hp - this is a balancing act - how short a pipe can your right ear stand and how much will you restrict it and reduce performance to kill the noise ? I've come to the overall conclusion ( at least for me ) that the exhaust / muffler needs to go to the rear axle in length - this way it kills the noise in the length of the pipe / muffler, not with restrictive back pressure put on a shorter race pipe - there is no free lunch with exhaust flow & noise abatement - just ask me - I've got a BMW M3 Car SS / Carbon resonator grafted onto my Bub7 2-1 pipe to take the right eardrum destructive noise outta the pipe - and it works ( just barely ) with a 4" O.D. and 3.5" I.D and I put in SS Wool packing in to replace the fiberglass crap that blew out in 250 miles - I've got a final reducer to weld on the exit to keep noise inside the pipe and that's it - I'm done for now - I only got like 80 man hours in this solution so far - (y) :geek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Likewise. I’d love to see the setup!
Great info btw.
Ideally, I’d like to have a removable baffle. That being said, the end cap based silencer I think will best suit my needs.
I do plan on dyno testing my exhaust setup, so I’ll have to do a couple runs with and without the baffle.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
No, I've never posted a photo of my exhaust setup - in fact I've never even posted a photo here, I'm a bit busy now at the airport during this new year 2021 kickoff but when I get time I'll take a pic and see if I'm smart enough to post it - (y) :LOL:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts