Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"The first rule of Drop Club is... you do not talk about Drop Club".

I have a friend who dropped his new vrod twice in the same weekend... thought he might be cheered up a bit by reading some posts from anyone else who wants to share their story.

Did a search and couldn't find this thread topic before, sorry if I am duplicating an existing thread. Would be an interesting topic to make sticky.

As for my story... I have not dropped my vrod, but my previous scooter hit the pavement once. On the day I brought her home, I was sitting in my driveway, engine off. I decided to call my wife out of the house to take a picture. Turned my head, leaned a little too much, didn't pay enough attention... and down she slowly went, with me fighting the whole way. At least I laid it down gently and didn't do any damage.

My wife certainly got a picture, though not quite the one I had in mind...

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
where's the pic come on you know you got the bike laying on the ground you trying to pick it up. I haven't dropped mine and hope I don't. :cheers:

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Mine tipped over on my lift yesterday after my oil change. I had my hand on the grip so it never hit the ground. It flipped my peg up and the bike rested on it. No damage to it, thank god I'm a strong man. It pays to go to the gym and bench press 385lbs. So I used leverage to pick it back up, no easy task. I'm stronger than anyone I know and I barely muscled her up. the moral of the story...................Don't drop it. :banghead: :banghead:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Old rider friend of mine, the one who taught me to ride has a saying. There are 2 types of bikers, Those who HAVE and those who WILL ;) I asked him what that meant and he said the missing words are "Gone Down" but he refuses to say those words in the same sentence. Superstitions run deep :D

BTW, I'm a member of the HAVE club (thankfully not with the V-Rod) :ithappen:

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
VrodRick74 said:
Mine tipped over on my lift yesterday after my oil change. I had my hand on the grip so it never hit the ground. It flipped my peg up and the bike rested on it. No damage to it, thank god I'm a strong man. It pays to go to the gym and bench press 385lbs. So I used leverage to pick it back up, no easy task. I'm stronger than anyone I know and I barely muscled her up. the moral of the story...................Don't drop it. :banghead: :banghead:
I'm not a weight lifter and at 48, not really in great shape but the bike is balanced so well, that I almost dropped it once but was able without to much effort to right it. The low center of gravity on these bikes help in that department, plus the fact that with new paint, you get super human strength when necessary lol.

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
Came home one night with a bit of a buzz shall we say, pulled into the garage, put down the sidestand, bike kinda moved forward and fell to left with me still straddling, trying my best to catch it, slow reactions. I guess I didn't properly put the stand down, lock it. Anyways, it fell left and my wooden weightbench caught the rear cylinder head fins and stopped my baby from hitting the concrete. No damage other than the corner of my bench wood, got an imprint of the head. What a lucky dick, I was quite relieved and learned to be more carefull with that jiffy stand, and a buzz. I generally keep the rubber side down.

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
Not too long after I'd started riding, I dropped my Sportster in front of a restaurant window full of folks eating breakfast. Realized I'd forgotten the side stand just AFTER I'd already swung my leg off. Was able to hold on to her juuuust enough to slow down her descent and didn't hurt anything when she touched the ground (except for maybe my ego!)

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
I pressed the start button while standing at the side of the bike (no to look cool as another thread suggests, but to warm the engine) It was in gear. Shot forward, lost the jiffy, fell over to the left, landed on a steel barrier, dented the airbox cover.

Another time I forgot to remove the disc lock, moved 6 inches, stopped abruptly, fell over to the right. Luckily it rested on the peg and did no damage either to the bike or the car parked right next to it.

I check for neutral and the presence of locks religiously now :D

Christine

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
I've dropped it twice when I was riding alone on business trips with the bike fully loaded and top heavy because of my t-bag and other gear. Once was doing a u-turn and once making a left-hand turn from a stop sign. I had to unpack the bike to get it back up after the latter drop. Dropped it again at another stop sign when my foot slid out from under me on gravel.

All I can say is that I'm sure glad for my engine guards and leather saddlebags. Minimal damage to the bike, none to me from any of these. I didn't try to fight it -- just hopped out of the way once I felt it was unrecoverable. I had gone over on my sporty and wrenched my neck pretty hard and got my foot trapped under the bike once before, so decided I'm just not strong enough to fight it beyond a certain point.

Maybe I'll be done with this in my second year of riding here???

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I dropped mine, with the wife on the back, in a 1mph panic stop ("where the hell did he come from?") in front of the house. Like you, Val, the engine guard and soft bags prevented damage to the bike. I did get a rasberry on my knee, and the wife's wrist was sore for a while. Those front brakes really work! Don't lock them while in a slow turn!

The incident on "the dragon" is another story.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
polizzio said:
Came home one night with a bit of a buzz shall we say
What a lucky dick, I was quite relieved and learned to be more carefull with that jiffy stand, and a buzz.
If you have seen the wrecks I have due to someone having a Buzz you would never get a buzz or get drunk and drive a Bike.
Not saying driving anything but when your drinking 4 wheels is better than two.
Dont get me wrong I like to drink as much as the next person, But never Buzzed or drunk on a Bike, I owe it to my family to be there for many years to come.
A Three Beer limit for me while on a Bike.

Trying not to sound like a Activist type, But I belive in the slogan "Dont Drink and Drive" ((While Riding A Bike)) :spank:

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
It was a few beers, not up in smoke. Sometimes, bike night catches up with me and I do things I shouldn't. I try to be a responsible adult, but I can be irresponsible at times....I'm getting better at it. I do hear what your saying...thx.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
polizzio said:
It was a few beers, not up in smoke. Sometimes, bike night catches up with me and I do things I shouldn't. I try to be a responsible adult, but I can be irresponsible at times....I'm getting better at it. I do hear what your saying...thx.

Been there and done that too, Until I seen A certian Wreck with my Friend.

That was a Slap in the face with some Reality.

I am just Irresponsible in everything else now. :laugh:

·
4,638 Posts
VrodRick74 said:

VrodRick74,
Looks like you have been in the Gym for a while......
:plause: :plause:

Attachments

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
LOL I have never dropped my v-rod but can understand people not posting when they do.

·
03 V-ROD\ 74 FLH
78 Posts
Droped the rod while stoped to help someone else, it was on a hill and the bike slid backwards and high sided the stand. fell over all by it self (I had left it running). Small scratch on the pipes dent in the air box from the turn signal, and broke the front brake lever. So much for mr. nice guy

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
muldoon said:
Droped the rod while stoped to help someone else, it was on a hill and the bike slid backwards and high sided the stand. fell over all by it self (I had left it running). Small scratch on the pipes dent in the air box from the turn signal, and broke the front brake lever. So much for mr. nice guy
NEVER STOP ON A DOWN HILL! :bash: I did that on my Duc and the kickstand collapsed and fell over!Man was I PISSED! :soapbox:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Drop Club

Well Last summer I was driving off out of my parking stall in a huge empty parking lot. Beautiful day I remember as i looked at my speedo just crossing the 1000 km mark. Just put my screaming eagle pipes 16 gauge double barrels on two days prior. Not a car in the parking lot except for one white buick grand prix backed in the stall. Sure enough the F---in C--ks--kin b--t--rd pulls out of his stall without lookin right in fron t of me. It was either hit the bastard or put the bike down on its side. I chose putting the bike down as i flew off and hit his car in front of the front tire with my helmet!! Moral of the story even though I scraped up my brand new v-rod it wasnt my fault. i ended up getting a fair settlement straight from his insurance company which allowed me to mod out my vrod like no one elses business!
A large road rash and riding a dented up bike for a few months sucked but at least my head ache was someone elses fault and not mine. As for lifting the bike, I didnt even notice how heavy it was under the circumstances, I was kind of in shock When I liftred it up bent the lower right frame into place and road home with blood blowing off into the breeze.WOuldnt recomend this to anyone!
James

1 - 20 of 161 Posts