Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new '04 V-rod Friday and drove it for about sixty miles. When I got home, I saw coolant splattered all over the engine. When I took the cover off of the bike to inspect the coolant reservoir, I saw that the hose had snapped off the reservoir cap. I'm no mechanic, but I believe that's the hose sending the coolant back into the reservoir from the engine. The coolant level was also extremely low. I'm not too worried about getting that fixed, as the warranty will cover it (seeing how the bike was purchased about two days ago). I'm worried, however, that I may have caused engine damage, especially since there's only about 60 miles on the engine. I rode very conservatively (following the break in procedures, keeping it under 4000 rpm and not accelerating like a wild man), and the temperature light never came on. Is my engine ok? Thanks.

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
Your engine should be fine Benko, probably didn't even run hot. That hose is for thermal expansion of fluid in radiator, engine, hoses, as engine heats up to normal operating temps. As engine cools, coolant to drawn back into coolant loop as coolant volume shrinks. What you saw all over your engine was this expansion liquid, not nearly all of your system coolant. Just get it fixed before riding again, and have them check coolant level in engine/hoses too(main cap).

·
Pete K
192 Posts
benko said:
I purchased a new '04 V-rod Friday and drove it for about sixty miles. When I got home, I saw coolant splattered all over the engine. When I took the cover off of the bike to inspect the coolant reservoir, I saw that the hose had snapped off the reservoir cap. I'm no mechanic, but I believe that's the hose sending the coolant back into the reservoir from the engine. The coolant level was also extremely low. I'm not too worried about getting that fixed, as the warranty will cover it (seeing how the bike was purchased about two days ago). I'm worried, however, that I may have caused engine damage, especially since there's only about 60 miles on the engine. I rode very conservatively (following the break in procedures, keeping it under 4000 rpm and not accelerating like a wild man), and the temperature light never came on. Is my engine ok? Thanks.
Had the same thing happen when my bike was 1 week old. Cap has been improved.New one will be better. You only lost the coolant that belched out from the motor after it warmed up. No worries, You could not have hurt anything I know of. Wash the paint well. The antifreese stains the powercoat if left on. :ride:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
polizzio is correct. You also have an overtemp light that would come on long before the engine did any damage.

Max

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Is my engine ok? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

When you have it repaired, you might double check with the service department to be sure they bleed the system of any air pockets. While on your ride home, the coolant likely expanded and when the engine cooled it might have drawn in air (like when your straw is too short when sipping a coke). Air in the system can cause hot spots and overheating. The normal procedure for pressurized coolant systems after a repair or coolant change is to fill the overflow bottle then remove the metal radiator cap, start the engine and run it until it reachs normal operating temp and the thermostat opens to allow circulation of the coolant. As the coolant expands, "burb" the system of air by slowly increasing the RPMs a few times. Any trapped air will rise to the radiator neck. When coolant tries to expand out of the neck, twist on and lock the cap in place. This procedure many not be necessary for our V-ROD engines, however, they do not seem to be any different than a standard pressurized coolant system.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
What he said^
That way allways work for me.
Yes a Temp light will come on.I've had it happen to me my first day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts