Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I idle the engine in gear with the bike on the jack and rear wheel off the ground I get some nasty clattering noise out of the transmission. Anyone else see this? Normal?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
When I idle the engine in gear with the bike on the jack and rear wheel off the ground I get some nasty clattering noise out of the transmission. Anyone else see this? Normal?
Probably normal backlash chatter in the gears as you are taking the load off the driven side of the transmission by having the wheel off the ground letting both driveside and driven side have movement. Is it all normal and quiet when you ride it?

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Just about all bikes will do that. As explained, the engine pulses are rattling the gear lash. Nasty sound, isn't it?
Ron

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
(y)Ya, for the last three years I've been assuming it's normal gear lash but I've made assumptions before that came back and bit me. Thanks!
I no longer run my bike in gear on the stand for that reason. The sound drives me nuts. For what it's worth, my softail did it, my buds Bandid and my bike all made the same sound. Basically it's rebounding within the gear lash and dogs. Needs a hair of load to set the contact points in the system. If you hear this while driving, by all means you can shit a brick. LOL
Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts