Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back a year or so I installed the Muscle wheels on my DX, I have noticed on real hot days I get a almost bearing sound squeel coming from the rear of the bike. I used some ivory soap on the drive belt went back out and the noize was gone so at least it was not a bearing. I did some searches on google and found where die-electric grease can stop the noize. It does but on for a few hundred miles. I only here this on real hot days and noticed the belt is close to the left (outside) edge of the pulley. My belt tension is correct, I have the 10lb gauge to verify plus the factory shop manual for any additional info. Does anyoone know how to get the belt to stay centered? I know the belt tension adj is only on one side so its not like it can easily be setup crooked I would think. Or is this something we just live with? It really sounds bad on a hot day when your pulling up to a stop light or slowing down. just looking for some sound advice or do I take it in to a dealer, which I don't wish to do if I can avoid it. thanks Mike

p.s. I had the wheel bearings and shims installed by Zanotti where I bought them and I can't remember if my stock wheels the belt tracked to the outside or not? I can put the bike on my lift and push on the belt as the wheel is rotated and it tracks back to the middle.

·
Jarhead
598 Posts
Sombody hit the rear tire of my bike in June and I noticed this happening to my bike along with a slight pull to the right. I filed an insurance claim with progressive. Turns out it was the swing arm. There is a small bead that is supposed to be sticking out on each side that keeps the rear tire centered and the pulley on track. The bead was pushed in on one side. The swingarm has been on backorder for the last 2 months.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
You make a comment that may give the answer: 'the belt tension is only on one side...'. It sounds like you are missing a tension cam. You should have cams on both sides, contacting hardened pins set in the swingarm. If you have only one, your wheel assembly is probably not straight, causing the belt to ride toward one side on the pulley.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Sombody hit the rear tire of my bike in June and I noticed this happening to my bike along with a slight pull to the right. I filed an insurance claim with progressive. Turns out it was the swing arm. There is a small bead that is supposed to be sticking out on each side that keeps the rear tire centered and the pulley on track. The bead was pushed in on one side. The swingarm has been on backorder for the last 2 months.
Two for one here: You don't need a swingarm, just push the pin back out where it should be and reassemble. That "bead" is just a hardened pin pushed into a hole in the swingarm. Your dealer just doesn't know or is screwing you.

·
Jarhead
598 Posts
Two for one here: You don't need a swingarm, just push the pin back out where it should be and reassemble. That "bead" is just a hardened pin pushed into a hole in the swingarm. Your dealer just doesn't know or is screwing you.
Well the total damage is over my $500 deductible anyway. I hope they are screwing progressive. It took them two weeks just to send an adjuster out to the shop to look at it. Here it is two months later and my Vrod is still down for repair. All my chrome pieces were sent out for repair instead of being replaced. $3000 chrome coverage my ass. Screw Progressive for all they're worth. :chainsaw:

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
The area of the bike needs a really good cleaning. I find that the brake dust and road grime has a way of making the belt and cush drive make noise.

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
Back a year or so I installed the Muscle wheels on my DX, I have noticed on real hot days I get a almost bearing sound squeel coming from the rear of the bike. I used some ivory soap on the drive belt went back out and the noize was gone so at least it was not a bearing. I did some searches on google and found where die-electric grease can stop the noize. It does but on for a few hundred miles. I only here this on real hot days and noticed the belt is close to the left (outside) edge of the pulley. My belt tension is correct, I have the 10lb gauge to verify plus the factory shop manual for any additional info. Does anyoone know how to get the belt to stay centered? I know the belt tension adj is only on one side so its not like it can easily be setup crooked I would think. Or is this something we just live with? It really sounds bad on a hot day when your pulling up to a stop light or slowing down. just looking for some sound advice or do I take it in to a dealer, which I don't wish to do if I can avoid it. thanks Mike

p.s. I had the wheel bearings and shims installed by Zanotti where I bought them and I can't remember if my stock wheels the belt tracked to the outside or not? I can put the bike on my lift and push on the belt as the wheel is rotated and it tracks back to the middle.
I had squeal from the back end on hot days after long rides. Sounded like bearing failure but I loosened the belt slightly and the noise went away. Give that a try and see what happens.

ALSO. You should not have to grease your belt to get it to shut up. Something is wrong. Make sure your pulleys are properly aligned by taking a straight edge like a fluorescent tube and press it up against the two pulleys. If the pulleys are in align the straight edge should contact the two pulleys in four places (2 on each pulley). If there is a gap of more than 1/16" on one contact point then your pulleys may need adjustment. At any rate their should be at least three contact points and one maybe a little off.

The belt on my VRSCX rides a little to the outside but not enough to cause it to ride up on the pulleys outside flange.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the info all. I really did not mean to say the belt is riding up the side of the pulley like its trying to climb off but its very close to the outside, probably double what the gap to the inside is and its probably less than a 16th on the inside so not much room either way. As for cams to adj, both sides have one but one side is welded so you basicly are just using one to either loosen or tighten. As I recall from my old dirt bike days and even some old street bikes each side could be adjusted seperate, this type can't as I can tell. I also can push on the belt while rotating the tire while on my lift and the belt will run back on center. I used my belt tool and tension and it looks to be good for the 10lbs at 8mm but I can try the belt slightly looser and see how that does.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
mine does this too , sounds like a bad bearing on hot days , i have both cams but it is still off a hair

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
thanks for the info all. I really did not mean to say the belt is riding up the side of the pulley like its trying to climb off but its very close to the outside, probably double what the gap to the inside is and its probably less than a 16th on the inside so not much room either way. As for cams to adj, both sides have one but one side is welded so you basicly are just using one to either loosen or tighten. As I recall from my old dirt bike days and even some old street bikes each side could be adjusted seperate, this type can't as I can tell. I also can push on the belt while rotating the tire while on my lift and the belt will run back on center. I used my belt tool and tension and it looks to be good for the 10lbs at 8mm but I can try the belt slightly looser and see how that does.
That is exactly the same as my vrscx.

The cams adjusters are set up so turning the axle on the left side will move both cams in unison keeping the wheel in alignment.

To adjust start by releasing all tension on the cams and push the wheel as far forward as it will go.
turn the axle from the left side until desired tension is achieved
Tighten axle nut on right side being careful not to turn the axle any more
Recheck for proper tension

If the tension is to tight start all over again by loosening the cam tensioners and push wheel all the way forward. Then re-adjust for proper tension. This will prevent the wheel from inadvertently getting cocked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts