Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The belt on The B snapped the other day. I'm waiting on one I found on Fleabay. Does anyone know the deflection amount and how can I adjust properly? I don't have the stock lower belt guard with the marks but I do have the "adjusto tool"?

'Crewzr

·
EXCELSIOR
8,554 Posts
Wow, how many miles? I've got 75k on mine. I picked up a spare used one several years ago but haven't had to use it.

I've never tightened mine beyond how it was set when I bought it, traced around the cams with a Sharpie marker and always put it back there when I change tires.
From some of the posts that I've seen of guys that have trashed either pulley or tranny output bearings I figure loose is better than tight

·
Registered
826 Posts
The belt on The B snapped the other day. I'm waiting on one I found on Fleabay. Does anyone know the deflection amount and how can I adjust properly? I don't have the stock lower belt guard with the marks but I do have the "adjusto tool"?

'Crewzr
With the gage at the mark. I have mines at about 3/8 in deflection. Belt cold, Bike up right and unloaded. Anything more than that belt would chatter on mines

·
Registered
826 Posts
Wow, how many miles? I've got 75k on mine. I picked up a spare used one several years ago but haven't had to use it.

I've never tightened mine beyond how it was set when I bought it, traced around the cams with a Sharpie marker and always put it back there when I change tires.
From some of the posts that I've seen of guys that have trashed either pulley or tranny output bearings I figure loose is better than tight
Check it when its hot. Just to get a feel of how tight it gets. And as the belt gets older u might want to check it in different places. I have replaced my belt, pulley and sprocket. 85k is when I started having issues w my trans bearing. Could be as the parts wear the tension varies this is not good when belts gets hot. I to marked the eccentrics when I first bought bike.

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my second belt..the first broke to not being adjusted properly after replacing the rear tire (200mm). The current belt had a very small hole due to picking up a screw somehow and it lasted about 8 years. The belt broke at the tiny screw hole. I'm wondering how many "lb's of force" marked on the tool it needs. As stated I don't have the stock lower belt guard with the marks to go by.

'Crewzr

·
Registered
826 Posts
This is my second belt..the first broke to not being adjusted properly after replacing the rear tire (200mm). The current belt had a very small hole due to picking up a screw somehow and it lasted about 8 years. The belt broke at the tiny screw hole. I'm wondering how many "lb's of force" marked on the tool it needs. As stated I don't have the stock lower belt guard with the marks to go by.

'Crewzr
Well use a measuring tape. Hold it against belt, push up on tool to the line marked on tool till u get approx 3/8 in travel.

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts
10 lbs

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thanks guy's...belt should be here Saturday :)

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok thanks guy's...belt should be here Saturday :)
Thanks guys for the info..belt came a day early and my son gave me a hand installing it.Goes great and prolly saved close to 200 bux getting a S/H from Fleabay that is in perfect shape. Thanks again (y)

'Crewzr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts