Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I drilled my exhaust as I feel these things need a little more noise and it's a quick fix until "expensive" pipes can be had.

I know this mod is nothing new and I don't take credit for the mod--I just made drilling the pipes alot easier and the chance of a screw up is very low.

I made a plate with a 3.675 OD and a 1.53 ID that is .495 thick. I then drilled 4 holes at .203 where your end caps would mount. Then I drilled 8 holes at .125 on a bolt circle diameter of 3.276.

If anyone wants to do the mod I will send the plate and drill bits (I'll send extra) free of charge.

I just ask that if someone else would like to do the mod the person that has the plate sends it to them.

The process-

1. I removed the end caps via the 4 socket head cap screws on each pipe.

2. Bolt the "template" to the pipe with longer socket head cap screws.

3. Use a .125 drill bit chucked in the drill then insert into the .125 holes in the "template"-then drill into the end of the pipe.

4. Removed the "template"

5. You now have 8 .125 holes that are completely concentric to the 1.5 pipe coming from your exhaust. You can now start stepping up the holes to whatever size you prefer. I then opened the .125 holes to .25 then to .375 which is where I stopped.

6. To do the end caps you just bolt the plate on to the end cap and use the same process. Leave the black inserts out when putting the end caps back on. I used black high temp paint to coat the inside of the end caps when I was done.

It's crude but it works better than paper and it's thick enough to get you started straight.

Here is the plate--

·
Registered
141 Posts
So I drilled my exhaust as I feel these things need a little more noise and it's a quick fix until "expensive" pipes can be had.

I know this mod is nothing new and I don't take credit for the mod--I just made drilling the pipes alot easier and the chance of a screw up is very low.

I made a plate with a 3.675 OD and a 1.53 ID that is .495 thick. I then drilled 4 holes at .203 where your end caps would mount. Then I drilled 8 holes at .125 on a bolt circle diameter of 3.276.

If anyone wants to do the mod I will send the plate and drill bits (I'll send extra) free of charge.

I just ask that if someone else would like to do the mod the person that has the plate sends it to them.

The process-

1. I removed the end caps via the 4 socket head cap screws on each pipe.

2. Bolt the "template" to the pipe with longer socket head cap screws.

3. Use a .125 drill bit chucked in the drill then insert into the .125 holes in the "template"-then drill into the end of the pipe.

4. Removed the "template"

5. You now have 8 .125 holes that are completely concentric to the 1.5 pipe coming from your exhaust. You can now start stepping up the holes to whatever size you prefer. I then opened the .125 holes to .25 then to .375 which is where I stopped.

It's crude but it works better than paper and it's thick enough to get you started straight.

Here is the plate--

Nice job. I have a couple questions...

1) Do you bolt the original end cap back on after you are done doing your drilling?

2) How does it run after drilling the exhaust? Does it need to be tuned at all?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It appears I neglected one part of the process. I will update the original post.

As far as the tuning goes I believe a member here named "Hanny" checked the engine running and said it was good to go. That means not causing a lean condition. Don't recall what method he used but pretty sure it involved a pc. I have no blue flames which would be lean. Mine runs great.

Updating the original post for completion shortly..

·
Registered
449 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the exhaust "post-modification"? I am trying to do this, but it would help me to see the finished product so that I am sure that I understand what you are describing.

Thanks,

Jimmy

·
Registered
446 Posts
Get in touch with Silver Muscle! God knows he needs it!

:rofl::rofl:

A couple times I forgot he was riding with us!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have any pictures of the exhaust "post-modification"? I am trying to do this, but it would help me to see the finished product so that I am sure that I understand what you are describing.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Here is a link to the thread which has pictures with detail. This is the same thing I have done but I made a nice steel template which makes the operation pretty easy and fool proof without the chance of getting the holes off making a guy do this :banghead:

The link---

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148708

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks. I was already following Hanny's instructions. I was just curious about what you used the metal plate for. Is it just for the purpose of guiding the drill bits?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I was already following Hanny's instructions. I was just curious about what you used the metal plate for. Is it just for the purpose of guiding the drill bits?

For guiding the drill bits and keeping it concentric to the 1.5" pipe. There is not alot of room for error as 3/8" holes get pretty tight.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Very cool. If I haven't done mine by the time Eagle's Fan gets done with it, he can forward it on to me. Thanks for the work Cohrs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts