Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wazzup:

ok read the threads on drilling the holes in stock exhausts, i have a 07 vrcsaw wanna do it but still worried about engine damage and back pressur etc, has anyone done this to my type of rod and had no problems cus i aint got the money to mess up my baby
advice guys???
i know i know another thread bout this but has anyone done this long term with no ill effects?

and the dread of taking a drill to your pride and joy, just gotta be sure.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
MANY MANY MANY folks have done this with the stock cans and did not need a tuner. The general consensus here is that if you ONLY drill holes in the exhaust it is fine and no tuner is needed. IF you drill holes and mod the intake (topless, and or high flow air filter), then you SHOULD use a tuner to avoid leaning out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive done it on my 2007 Rod quite successfully, however I did buy a spare sets of exhausts on Ebay before drilling em :chainsaw:

But the sound and look is well worth the effort :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a query about my 05 VRSCA and drilling the exhausts. Brief background. Recently got the bike with what I think are Force turned out pipes, and a Power Commander fitted. It was just too loud. I like loud but this was to my mind crazy loud and after 15 mins of 50+ want off the bike. So I got hold of the original stock pipes and fitted them. Now it sounds like a Honda!

I have read other posts on drilling the end caps which sounds a perfect compromise. Yup that's for me. Problem is that I just looked at the end of the pipes and they don't look like what I expected. The end cap are not flat. Excuse the strange description here, but if you imagine a doughnut, half it to make two circles and one of the half's is a similar end cap profile - sort of! The end caps have pop rivits holding them on. Would the answer be to drill the rivits out and replace them with screws, and whilst they are off drill the end caps clamped on a work bench. Does that sound a sensible plan?

Incidently the Force pipes I took off are nothing more that a 12 inch long straight through bit of pipe. No wonder they are deafenining.

I don't know how to put a picture here, but there is a picture of the rear of the pipes in my album. Sorry for the hassle, but I would sure appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As you say it sounds easy - until you look at the practicalities ! And the fact that the end caps are at an angle.

I removed my pipes, carefully drilled probably 20 holes to form a rough circle, removed the centre section, then the rest is easy with the correct size hole cutter. When you drill just angle over to start off the drill straight, then once it has 'bitten' you can drill at the correct angle. I also used a punch to mark the drill point. I was left with the rough edges where I had drilled, which I just dremelled down to a smooth edge. I have to say I was pleased with the result.

Incidentally I was looking at buying some Force pipes, so if you are minded to sell - then let me know :deal:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the response Silverblade. Good advice. I am now a little confused. Where does the hole cutter come in? There is a pdf document elsewhere on the forum explaining what to do and from what I can see it is 8 holes drilled around the end cap. The diameter of the holes dictates the type of sound and the volume.

I will keep you in mind if I decide to sell the Force pipes and PCIII. I fancy hanging on to the PCIII in case I decide to mod the bike however.

I had a run on the bike last night which was the first time since going back to stock. First of all for me the quietness was a blessing - for now that is, but a bit more noise would be desirable so i will give the drilling mod a go. I felt that the power was down a bit going stock, but it's not a big deal as it's still plenty quick.

The Force pipe I have are not legal in the UK AFAIK and were imported by the previous owner. I would urge you to make sure that's what you want before buying similar as they are painfully loud at anything over 30mph and on a motorway at 70mph are intolerable. Even with earplugs I soon got fed up with it. To me they sound more like a rally car and certainly not the nice sound of a air cooled HD with say V & H.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
HDSBOB, Silverblade is describing a modification to the pipes generally referred to as "V-Modding", where you actually remove part of the internal structure of the pipe. This will make the pipes pretty loud, probably louder than it sounds like you want.

The drilling I think you are after is just that; drilling (usually eight) holes in the end of the pipe around the center outlet. This allows some of the gases to bypass the muffler, and produces the somewhat louder sound you are after. The number and size of the holes determine loudness.

It sounds like your pipes are fitted with HD bling end caps, which are purely decorative. Drill out the rivets to remove the caps, do your drilling, and enjoy. If you later get tired of the sound, reinstall the end caps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry if ive caused confusion ! I think vroder sums it up well, my bike is 2007 and I think has slightly different ends on the exhaust.

It sounds as if you can achieve your goal, without doing the major modifications I did to my pipes - basically you cant go back with my mod.

Thats why I bought the spare pair, as if I didnt like it (which I do ) then I could return to standard. I guess my pipes are already illegal with the noise - but hey its a Harley !

In respect of the Force pipes, I would only be interested in those, as I have a PC already. And I take your point about the noise, but its rather like a new flavour of chocolate - you dont know if your going to like it till you try ! So still interested if you do decide to sell, but perhaps you could confirm (if you are selling) are they the ones that turn out - as the picture you have seems a little deceptive, and they look like they might just go straight back.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
P.S. if you have an '06 or newer A or AW, I would pick up a set of pre '06 pipes to drill and save your current pipes. The inner baffles on the newer pipes are much smaller than the pre '06, and can be removed with a hole as small as 1-5/8", whereas the older baffles must have a 3" hole to be removed.
This is just in case you decide to do the full VMOD later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks everyone. Now I understand!

There is a photo of the bike fitted with the turned out pipes in my gallery/album on this forum Silverblade. Once I have done the drilling, I will know whether to sell the Force pipes or just hang on to them.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Thank you for this info,it really helps,I`m glad I came across this web site you all have been a real help.Mr Large

·
'06 VRSCA
65 Posts
I found a V-Mod how to on removing the inner baffle. Is there a how to on this drilling mod? I apologize in advance for this noobish question, but I'm getting my first bike this week and would like to do this mod. I'm a computer/network guy, never been much of a mechanic so it should be interesting.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Welcome Mobius570!

The drilling, not V-mod, is simply drilling up to 8, 1/2", holes around the outside of the exhaust port on the end of the muffler. I spaced mine fairly evenly around. Think of a clock face, and drill 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00. Then drill one more between each of those.

I stayed about 3/4" away from the muffler outlet, and just drilled deep enough to pierce the outer shell.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
drilled exhaust

I found a V-Mod how to on removing the inner baffle. Is there a how to on this drilling mod? I apologize in advance for this noobish question, but I'm getting my first bike this week and would like to do this mod. I'm a computer/network guy, never been much of a mechanic so it should be interesting.
I drilled my exhaust with the 1/2'' holes and wasn`t happy till I drilled them to a 3/4'' the sound is great for me and I also installed the pc3 which made my bike run alot better.

·
'06 VRSCA
65 Posts
Welcome Mobius570!

The drilling, not V-mod, is simply drilling up to 8, 1/2", holes around the outside of the exhaust port on the end of the muffler. I spaced mine fairly evenly around. Think of a clock face, and drill 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00. Then drill one more between each of those.

I stayed about 3/4" away from the muffler outlet, and just drilled deep enough to pierce the outer shell.

Is it fairly easy to get the pieces that are to be drilled off the bike? I haven't picked the bike up yet, so I'm not sure how it comes apart. I guess I was looking more of a how to to disassemble and reassemble.

Thanks for the response and that gives me an idea where to start after the parts are off.

*EDIT* - Never realized there were two How To sections. I found a PDF showing the pipes being drilled while on the bike. Is that what everyone is doing?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been there done that

It can be done, trust me. I followed the same pdf document that was available on this site and did mine with a hand drill. Sounds so much better and I haven't noticed any change in performance. I will attach a picture of mine so you can get another idea. Just make sure you get around the center pipe. Also be sure to drill the hole sizes up with at least three different size bits.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts