Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came up with a better idea for drilling the stock exhaust. Looks alot cleaner then other ideas ive seen on the forums. You cant really tell ive done anything other than the inner pipe are cut short so you can drill the holes in the pipe to get into the muffler and extract the sound

Sorry i didnt take pictures of the process.

But as you can see in the pictures i posted i drilled holes in the inner pipe both sides (5 holes per pipe)

Just so you know for those of you who want to try this you will need a die grinder and a steel grinding bit. its impossible to start a drill bit at an angle.

Also you will need to cut the inner pipes shorter with a hack saw or a saws-all with a metal cutting blade.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about deburring the holes but you really cant see them unless you get down on your knees and shine a light in the pipe.
As for the sound its a 100% improvement. Im still planning on buying aftermarket pipes at a later date but this will due until then.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would like a step by step process please - getting new pipes - so wouldnt mind trying this just for shits and giggles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1) Remove the four bolts
2) Remove the end cap
3) Use masking tape to protect the end of the pipe
4) Use a hack saw or saws all to cut the inner pipe down as short as possible.
5) I used a die grinder with a metal grinding bit to grind the holes inside the pipe.
6) Replace the end caps hit the road and enjoy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not a bad idea. Debur the holes and paint in there with some flat black heat paint and you would really never notice.

·
VRSCF User
127 Posts
Great idea ...

I have TAB slip-ons ... but the cops in here are not cool with aftermarket slip-ons (even with baffles on) ....so I could do this to my stock pipes and put them on when I go to work ... or just run in the neigbourhood ..... :moped:

·
Registered
244 Posts
1) Remove the four bolts
2) Remove the end cap
3) Use masking tape to protect the end of the pipe
4) Use a hack saw or saws all to cut the inner pipe down as short as possible.
5) I used a die grinder with a metal grinding bit to grind the holes inside the pipe.
6) Replace the end caps hit the road and enjoy.
How does it sound and run with this set up?
can you post a video?
Some times you need something not so Fn loud, this may be the trick to something in between the TABs or V-H's
TABs and V-H can wear you out on a long ride.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Ti-Moo,

Did you also get a ticket for your after market pipes?

I got one for my V&H. I installed the quiet baffles but it does not change anything. I will be adding packing around my baffles today, in hope to make it civilized enough to avoid getting cops on my back.

Are you located in Quebec City, or in Montreal?

Depending on where you are, maybe we could ride together once in while...

Cheers!

MT

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nevermind Ti-Moo... I did some searches and found out you're in Rimouski.

This means it is unlikely we will ride together... Unless you happen in Quebec City.

Happy riding anyway!

MT

·
Registered
329 Posts
If anyone is interested in purchasing stock pipes for a muscle let me know.

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
Elbow Grease is free lol plus it always feels good working on your bike.
Seriously. I have been without my bike for a week now... I miss tinkering with it so much that I went over to my buddy's house yesterday and hollowed out the muffler on his VTX1800. LOL I have an unreal desire to be working on bikes....

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
After doing this would the bike need to be tuned?
are you referring to the vrod or his vtx? The vrod has a harley computer in it that only tunes when the bike is within certain operating conditions. Ie stock configuration. With only a few holes drilled you don't need to retune the vrod because toot haven't lost enough backpressure.

The mod i just posted about does not require the bike to be retuned on the vtx because you do not lose enough backpressure and honda designed it right. They aren't out to charge you for every little thing they can.

·
VRSCF User
127 Posts
Hey Ti-Moo,

Did you also get a ticket for your after market pipes?

I got one for my V&H. I installed the quiet baffles but it does not change anything. I will be adding packing around my baffles today, in hope to make it civilized enough to avoid getting cops on my back.

Are you located in Quebec City, or in Montreal?

Depending on where you are, maybe we could ride together once in while...

Cheers!

MT
I never had a ticket with my F .... but I don't ride downtown .... everytime I ride ... I ride outside Rimouski ....or I ride to work ....

In Quebec city ... it does not seems to be a problem to have aftermarket pipes ....

If I go to Quebec for a ride ...I'll send you a pm :p

·
Registered
118 Posts
I never had a ticket with my F .... but I don't ride downtown .... everytime I ride ... I ride outside Rimouski ....or I ride to work ....

In Quebec city ... it does not seems to be a problem to have aftermarket pipes ....

If I go to Quebec for a ride ...I'll send you a pm :p
Tab now sells a 1 3/4 inch baffle for the muscle pipes on their site for $80.
Should be quieter than the 2 inch stock baffle.
Not sure the decibel limits of each area but I think anything above 92db is the limit around some areas I've heard of.
I am curious what the 1 3/4 inch baffle reads in db....it also give back a little more back pressure no?

Sorry op for the hijack, I just wanted to give my 5 cents on the tab loudness.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts