Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dealer told me that drilling stock exhaust would melt dowm motor
anyone had any experence in this area.if so hows the sound,just need to buy time till can afford pipes.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
pads said:
dealer told me that drilling stock exaust would melt dowm motor
anyone had any experence in this erea.if so hows the sound,just need to buy time till can afford pipes.

There are a ton of members that have modded the stock exhaust without any problems. Depending on how you do it you may need to remap your ecm to compensate. Check out this thread:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35835

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Works Fine Not A Problem, They Just Say That So You Will Buy New Ones Thats All Ive Had Mine Drilled 1/12 Now Runs And Sounds Great.you Can Put The Chrome End Caps On And Still Sounds Great Bdvrod.

·
Registered
512 Posts
No your motor will be fine!!! There are hundreds of guys here who have done the mod with no problems

But i think his brain has already melted just before giving you that advice:chair:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Over 5,000 miles since I bought it in Jan 07 and no problems

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
As long as you are drilling and not de-baffling you will be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, As for waiting till you can afford pipes,checkout tabperformance.com just got their turnout pipes and fuel tuner,AWSOME, for the price of force streetfighters,and they sent me a free K&N filter.Love the pipes,and the install was EASY! 463.00 total price gotem in 3 days.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
pads said:
dealer told me that drilling stock exaust would melt dowm motor
anyone had any experence in this erea.if so hows the sound,just need to buy time till can afford pipes.

Yep, drilled pipes and the motor jus melted away, didn't even have to start it.

·
Fisher of Men
905 Posts
Same drilled pipes with no problems. I only have 1000 miles on her but I drilled the pipes the second day I had her! Not satisfied with the sound but it sure beats stock! Will V-Mod mine soon, just need the K&N & figure out the best topless setup. Good Luck!

Ride safe & God Bless, JC

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
yep... drilling them doesnt change the air/fuel mixture enough to really make a huge difference.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
mtlwrk said:
What if you started out with smaller or not so many holes to try and get a sound you like. Has anyone tried that?
i tried that.. i started off with 1 hole then went to 2 then 4 then made them larger... then I drilled the other 4 in each but with a small drill bit. Eventually ended up with more hole than i had metal.

IMHO I thought with the smaller hole it sounded good at full throttle, but at about 30% throttle in cruising it sounded like a 4 stroke 4 wheeler with a pipe on it. The bigger I went with the holes, the more "harley like" the sound got

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
mtlwrk said:
What if you started out with smaller or not so many holes to try and get a sound you like. Has anyone tried that?
mine are 3/8" I was worried about some reports of popping, so I worked my way up from (8) 1/8" holes. I'll probably goto 1/2" soon. I've got about 3k on my drilled pipes with nothing but good things to say.the discoloration was already startwd before I drilled them.
[/IMG] Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Car

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Just drilled mine this past weekend - started with 1/8 pilot holes; then 1/4 and finally 1/2. Put 8 - 1/2" holes in each and boy, did sure change the sound!! Very happy with the results for such a cheap, easy mod! Sounds a lot more 'Harley' at idle and lower RPM's - highway wasn't too obnoxious either and sounds more throaty. Starting to feel the itch as very has mentioned - that once you drill you look for more..... Trying to decide if VMod is the way to go or if it would be too loud.

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
gday said:
Thanks Mate ....

A Picture tells a thousand words ...

I take it by going up to 1/2 you are trying to get a deeper sound.
yeah, it still sounds like a 750 honda shadow on steroids at certain revs, but it has gotten noticeably better after drilling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any limit on the size of hole drilled

Thanks guys

By the sound of things the bigger the hole the better the sound.

Has anyone gone any larger then 1/2 ????

Say instead of 8 1/2 holes ... What about 4 1" holes .. ?? :guns

Just wondering what the limits are and if anyone has tried ...:sinister:

:cheers:

Stu

1 - 20 of 22 Posts