Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drilled my exhausts per the how-to post for drilled exhaust. Sounds much better, but not loud. I have the NRS so my exhausts had the black caps on since new in 2008.

Can I leave off the caps and shine the mufflers?

How do I shine the muffler ends where the caps used to be?

Also I broke a drill bit and it is inside the muffler, how do I get it out?

I want to save the caps intact, seems like I could re-install them and quiet the sound a little and keep the factory look?

Attachments

·
Harley Guy
14 Posts
My bolts sheared off in the mufflers on mine, and I couldn't get the brownish marks off so I taped off the ends and painted them to look like the stock caps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for responding. I was thinking of painting the whole thing. Never liked the look of those caps anyway. I suppose I could drill holes in the caps? What kind of paint did you use, and did it last?

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
Thanks for responding. I was thinking of painting the whole thing. Never liked the look of those caps anyway. I suppose I could drill holes in the caps? What kind of paint did you use, and did it last?
when i had my dx i have made hole in the caps all around on the edge inside the cap, 1/8 holes about 12 of them look's good take your time be careful with the angle of drill not to hit the end of the cap when in motion, you will damage the metal, and leave a mark

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
the paint will peel off if you don't use the right thing
you need hight temp paint.

even then powdercoating is required 1200 degree powder;
i have done it on my dx last year

·
Wishes he was riding
91 Posts
I left the caps off and painted mine with flat black grill paint from walmart. Cleaned them up really good first but I have put about 1000 miles on them and even hit heavy rain and it hasn't chipped off yet. I'm planning on it chipping off at some point.

http://picasaweb.google.com/olivr2/DrillPaintExhaust#

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I left the caps off and painted mine with flat black grill paint from walmart. Cleaned them up really good first but I have put about 1000 miles on them and even hit heavy rain and it hasn't chipped off yet. I'm planning on it chipping off at some point.

http://picasaweb.google.com/olivr2/DrillPaintExhaust#
John, that looks great! I'll try it, I am using hi-temp engine paint in flat black. I hope mine come clean as yours, gonna scrub 'em tonight.

·
Flyin-By
125 Posts
Are ya gonna post some pictures when you're finished!?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pics when finished?

I'll post pics when finished, if I don't screw it up! LOL I also recvd my A model light assy, gonna install that with HID setup as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is one of my winter projects! I have never liked the look of the stock cans. I think they look much better painted. I used Hi temp manifold paint from O'Reillys on the shields and its a perfect match. I can just picture some harley tech painting a new one with a rattle can. haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts