Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
reservation dogs
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drilled two stock systems yesterday, a set of mufflers off an R/D and another set from an A/B/X. I put the same number and size of holes in both sets of pipes, and much to my surrprise they sounded completley different. The R/D are much louder and have a higher pitch, while the A style have a low rumble sound to them. I like the drilled A better than the D. It took about half an hour to do both sets of pipes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am still afraid to do mine because I do not have a fuel management device. And am already running a SE Air filter.

·
reservation dogs
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am still afraid to do mine because I do not have a fuel management device. And am already running a SE Air filter

No fuel management device needed when you just drill 8 holes in the end plate. The sound is perfect in my opinion, loud enough to hear but not bothersome.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi, you did 8 holes on the end plate of VrscA stock mufflers , What filter do you have? really you don't need a PC or DFO, what size of drilled holes (milemetres, inches)?

Thanks in advance

·
reservation dogs
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
taketi said:
Hi, you did 8 holes on the end plate of VrscA stock mufflers , What filter do you have? really you don't need a PC or DFO, what size of drilled holes (milemetres, inches)?

Thanks in advance
I drilled 8, 3/8in holes. I used a smaller drill as a starter, made it much easier. I am running a K&N filter and the drilled pipes with no fuel managment system,I am using this same set-up on all 4 of my V-Rods and no trouble with any of them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok , thanks for the answer,
What happens if you drill more than eight 3/8" size holes 8 with a wider drill? Will you then need a Fuel Optimizer?

Have you got a photo of your drilled pipes?

·
06 VRSCR
276 Posts
I drilled mine tonight and it's quite a bit louder. I went with six 1/4" holes. One thing I did notice that surprised me is that there is no packing material in the outer chamber where the holes are drilled. I could have sworn that other posts indicated there was sound deadening packing material stuffed in there. After drilling, I looked in there with a small flash light and so I know for sure there is nothing in there. I drilled the holes per Night Rod El Paso's How-to.

One extra thing I did was pulled both spark plugs prior to moding the exhaust. They both had white, non-glassy deposits which should mean not too rich, not too lean. I did not clean them up. Then, I put new plugs in and will run these for a couple hundred miles then pull and compare with the original plugs.

06 VRSCR

·
Registered
309 Posts
The reason some guys are getting some packing material coming out of the holes is because they drilled the holes too close to the outside wall. I don't agree that the holes should be drilled exactly in the center between the outer wall and the inner baffle. I drilled mine about a 3/16 closer to the inner baffle and have no problems. Once you have your holes drilled, you can look inside and see the steel barrier that is holding the packing material towards the outside wall of the exhaust. You can see that if the holes are drilled too close to this steel barrier that you could end up with some material getting by that barrier and coming out the holes. I know the directions posted say to measure to the center of the exhaust but IMO that isn't correct. Hope that makes sense.

·
06 VRSCR
276 Posts
COVROD said:
The reason some guys are getting some packing material coming out of the holes is because they drilled the holes too close to the outside wall. I don't agree that the holes should be drilled exactly in the center between the outer wall and the inner baffle. I drilled mine about a 3/16 closer to the inner baffle and have no problems. Once you have your holes drilled, you can look inside and see the steel barrier that is holding the packing material towards the outside wall of the exhaust. You can see that if the holes are drilled too close to this steel barrier that you could end up with some material getting by that barrier and coming out the holes. I know the directions posted say to measure to the center of the exhaust but IMO that isn't correct. Hope that makes sense.
I looked at mine again and there is a metal mesh material up against the outside wall of each pipe, but on my exhaust there is no way you could ever hit it no matter where you drilled unless you used a bit at least 3-4 inches long and purposely tried to hit the mesh.

06 VRSCR

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
josephthreedogs said:
I drilled two stock systems yesterday, a set of mufflers off an R/D and another set from an A/B/X. I put the same number and size of holes in both sets of pipes, and much to my surrprise they sounded completley different. The R/D are much louder and have a higher pitch, while the A style have a low rumble sound to them. I like the drilled A better than the D. It took about half an hour to do both sets of pipes.
Most likely there is a size difference in mufflers.. this would change the tone.. if there is more volume the sound will be deeper.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
COVROD said:
...and that means EFI issues as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dude, you haven't heard anything yet. I started with what you did, then took them all the way out. Straight Pipes, knocks the morter out of the wall at my office, seriously. I will tell you that I went ahead and put a PC III on it just to be safe and it started running a hell of alot cooler.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts