Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ghost Rider
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone devised some decent covers for the sissy bar mounting holes on the fender base plate? I don’t want a sissy at this time and would like to dress these up.

Juan

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Juan,

I plugged the luggage rack holes with a chrome snap cover and covered the sissy bar holes with an allen hole plug. I siliconed both of them in. I think it finishes it off nicely.

Attachments

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
I have given this some thought as well, I have yet to come up with a slick solution. In the mean time, I just purchased chrome button head allen screws for the holes!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Slick. Looks great! What brand did you use or where can I purchase them on line? :biker:

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
VROD AL, the snaps I had laying around - can be bought though at most hardware stores. I bought the allen hole plugs from HD - part # 94130-93T

·
Registered
439 Posts
fehrc said:
VROD AL, the snaps I had laying around - can be bought though at most hardware stores. I bought the allen hole plugs from HD - part # 94130-93T

THANKS!!!
:thumb:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Manhorse said:
ACE Hdwd sells chrome hex head screws that will fill those holes.
THANKS!!! MANHORSE

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I found some tiny red lights at Auto zone for dashboards.Three to a kit.Bought 2 kits.These kits have a battery installed and are wired, so you can run um before you buy um.I used a drill bit the same size as the bulbs and drilled at an angle pointed towards the rear into the s.bar mounting holes so that the lights will just poke out.they will be running lights.Maybe 2 for signals.I will have this idea finished on the weekend along with a slight modification to the dogs butt.And chrome rear sgnals in the factory positon.
Also was looking at old Fury 111 hood mount bullet signal indicators.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Ghost Rider
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Elrod, thats a good idea!. Post some pics of how it comes out. I was thinking of getting a badge of some kind to mount on both sides or probably a reflector for when I change my rear fender.

Juan

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I installed the little LED's today.Man do they light up.they look better than I expected.I drilled the holes progressevly.The last drilling left some small burrs at the chrome.I just left um like this so that the chrome didn't start peeling.I cut the doggy butt at an angle.0 at the front and down to the back leaving the stock mounting ovals for the signals.I painted(base-clear)the butt to match the frame.Also the inner fender up by the tank.I put some chrome door edge guard on the part that was cut and installed the chrome signals with red lense.The paint is gloss and gives a nice contrast.I'll figure how to make some small beauty rings for the lights.I'm happy.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
:notworth: Pics please, I had the same idea for the D/A.Except painting it blue like the fender and going with a chrome plate cover. :mrgr:

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
The biggest surprise is that it is reasonably priced as well Craig, if I hadn't already bought them from Ace hardware..I would go with what you showed a link to! :cheers:

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
I just installed that kit. Looks better that the original bolts. Cleans it up a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
:soapbox: Yeah Pi$$ed me off when I opened the package with my luggage rack in it and found a nice chromd rack with zinc plated screws and spacers. Had a friend at work make the spacers out of 316 stainles and bought 4 S/S buttonhead screws, polishd them up and put it on. Looks much better.BTW bought a Gardner-Wescott chrome bolt Kit for Alt,Sprocket,and clutch covers(got em off Ebay) Would'nt you know it the water pump bolts are'nt included and Harley does'nt sell the pump bolts as a seperate package. Can't really complain too much though, I go the Cam cover kit and the oil filtr/starter kit with the cover kit for $91 incl : :cheers: . shipping.

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Good to hear your feedback on these hardware kits guys. My solution (snap covers siliconed in temporarily) was just for the show. If I do ever plan to use my luggage rack again I will need to find something that can easily be taken off and put back on - sounds like the HD bolts look good so they might be the way to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts