Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Vic Jacoby
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to drop a note to say I did the dragon's tail last week. I've been there on a bike a bunch of times, but this was first time on the NRS -- kinda slow the first time, tho' not as slow as some I got behind. The more you ride it the quicker you get, until next thing you know, you're watching out for the troopers, who were out in force!
:moped:

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Cool, I just got home a couple of hours ago ( 6 hour ride home to Ky. ). We went friday and conditions were perfect. This is my second summer taking the DX. My CFR always gets scarred up, but this year I installed a 1 inch spacer on my mount to raise it up a bit. It worked pretty good, I ony scraped it once this time. I saw a couple DX's this weekend. One DX was just pulling off the Foothills parkway when I was leaving.

gat2010 002.jpg

gat2010 007.jpg

gat2010 008.jpg

·
Vic Jacoby
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love the foothills parkway and Cherohala skyway too! Which we had some roads like that around here. I rode all the way home last weekend in one day -- 11 hours and 40 minutes; hit a bad thunderstorm in Jackson, MS and had to go 30 mph for a bit. The DX did a couple thousand miles in 5 days without a hitch.

Attachments

·
Vic Jacoby
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now ride the Dragon behind Phil and Dale and you will see how the Dragon is really traversed!
I always enjoy riding behind a well-seasoned rider -- you can learn a lot following their line... until you lose sight of them!!:notworth:

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
Now ride the Dragon behind Phil and Dale and you will see how the Dragon is really traversed!
i kinda miss rolling thru The Gap on a sportbike. Great road. Havent had the DX there yet. Hopefully before the rweather gets cold this yr I will make it back there for a weekend.

·
Vic Jacoby
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha!

dude, your helmet is awesome! what is that?
It's just some chinese crap offa ebay. My buddies laughed at the DOT emblem. I like it 'cause it has a quick release buckle on it (and, I thought maybe it really was DOT approved.)

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
He likes it now. Wont like it so much if his head bounces off the ground and it splits like a coconut.

I am helmet retentive.... lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
S[acer

this is for "dmack". could you tell me more about the "one inch spacer" you used to raise your mount? i live by the dragon and drag all the time. thanks,,jt

·
Registered
342 Posts
this is for "dmack". could you tell me more about the "one inch spacer" you used to raise your mount? i live by the dragon and drag all the time. thanks,,jt
To begin with my bracket is mounted upside down to help raise the pipe. Went to hardware store and bought a 1 inch copper spacer(looks like a copper washer that is 1 inch THICK) that fits between the bracket and muffler tab and a longer bolt to slide through the spacer. Then I used all the strength I had to raise the muffler with one hand while I slid the spacer in and ran the bolt down through. It's hard to tell how much its raised until you ride it. It seems to do the trick or at least help. :D

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My favorite quote:

"Thou shalt not take parts from the Tree of Shame."
I love that.

·
Vic Jacoby
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He likes it now. Wont like it so much if his head bounces off the ground and it splits like a coconut.

I am helmet retentive.... lol
You don't mean to tell me that motorcycle riding is dangerous, do you? Could I really get injured?

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
You don't mean to tell me that motorcycle riding is dangerous, do you? Could I really get injured?

My comment focused solely on the non DOT helmet that most likely would offer no protection in the event of a wreck.

We all know its dangerous.. :blahblah:

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Midnight Dragon Tail run

I'm a "Night Shifter" and interested in riding the Dragon @ midnight.
A few questions:
Are there troopers out past midnight?
Are there to many deer or nocturnal animals roaming on the Dragon course @ this time?

I'll be mounting and testing "Clearwater" LED driving lights.

BTW:Good pix and thx for posting.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Lots of critters out at night including drunken mountain men, bears, beaver, etc. I wouldn't think the LEO would be out though.

I don't know if the road is open all the way due to the slide yet.

·
COLEROD
334 Posts
I'm a "Night Shifter" and interested in riding the Dragon @ midnight.
A few questions:
Are there troopers out past midnight?
Are there to many deer or nocturnal animals roaming on the Dragon course @ this time?

I'll be mounting and testing "Clearwater" LED driving lights.

BTW:Good pix and thx for posting.
I have rode it several times at night and have never seen a LEO at anytime. They usually leave around 5 or 6pm. Not many bikes on it then so you have it all to yourself. As for the creatures? James is right.....I have seen a few of them. They usually are quick enough to get out of the way.:)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Lots of critters out at night including drunken mountain men, bears, beaver, etc. I wouldn't think the LEO would be out though.

I don't know if the road is open all the way due to the slide yet.
Road is open all the way now. Fully accessible from both ends. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts