Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to put good old fashioned risers and drag bars on my VSCR-A. I also want to just hang regular guages from the bars. How do i know what size risers fit into the triple tree?

·
9 second club member
2,326 Posts
:vrodforu:

None. You will have to drill the top triple tree to get a set of riser to work. Not hard. Our bars are held by 2 12mm bolts and the standard riser is a 1/2-13 bolt. after drill then any riser will work the hard part is fiting the guages.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am also in the same boat but im not sure i understand about all the drilling ect..

I just got off the phone with the HD dealer ship and he said you cannot fit just any drag bars no the 05 vrsca. he told me that the risers and bars are one peice.. this sounds like BS to me but i could be wrong.

Ive changed bars on my bikes before and this is usually was the cheapest and easiest mods done on my ride.

so the ?? is will i have to buy new risers to put on drag bars or just buy the bars?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Travis for the vrsca the riser is made on the bar. You have to change to a two piece like mattj mentioned to do it with a vrsca. Now they do offer a drag bar for the vrsca that has the riser on it so that is an option.

Max

·
John
2,700 Posts
The bars on the "A" are 1 piece riser & handlebars welded together.

V-Mod.com sells the "A" version drag bars at a reasonable price.

Rizoma has a set for 750.00 which includes a new gauge housing.

If you retrofit risers to work on the "A" as mattj describes above you can then use any handlebar set up you want to use (up to a point where you'd have to rewire the controls because the bars are too long).

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you are just looking to change the bars, you can also get the B-model risers and clamshell. That way you can use standard 1-inch bars, but you do not have to mess w/ the instrument panel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i was just doing some research and i see that the bars are just welded onto the stock risers..

A cheaper rout would be to just buy a set of drag bars and run down to my local shop and have them cut off the current bars and weld the new ones on.. any local machine shop can do this with quickness.

has anyone ever tried that?

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
travis5000_99 said:
i was just doing some research and i see that the bars are just welded onto the stock risers..

A cheaper rout would be to just buy a set of drag bars and run down to my local shop and have them cut off the current bars and weld the new ones on.. any local machine shop can do this with quickness.

Just make sure they cut them straight. You'll have to grind the old weld out and make sure the "fishmouth" cuts are even again.

·
Banned
787 Posts
homemade dragbars...

travis5000_99 said:

I did this. Cut off stock bars at the top of the risers. Cut off the instrument housing mounting bracket. Bought straight 1" Stainless Steel dragbar with same bend at the handlebar ends and same width of about 30". Welded onto risers. Drilled handlebar and hid wiring inside. Rotated brake lines slightly toward handlebar. Installed instument pod. Looks great for $35 vs. $200++++...

·
Registered
817 Posts
I got a set of Burly T-bars with the same rise as stock and just trimmed the clamshell to fit over them. They are for standard Harleys so the holes in the upper triple clamp have to be drilled to accomodate the larger standard sized bolts.

·
Registered
137 Posts
What size drill bit is needed to drill through? If you drill can you go back to using the stock handle bars ?

·
Registered
439 Posts
What size drill bit is needed to drill through? If you drill can you go back to using the stock handle bars ?
This is a pretty old thread, but 1/2 inch bit for standard riser bolts and if you decide to go back to stock then just put a bushing in and go to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts