Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry if i appear to be thick !:chair:

but had my DX for 2 years and have never ridden any bike without clip-ons before , so only used to the DX and sportsbikes

i have been trying to decide on a set of drag bars and it seems there are different types ?????

i'm after a flat look so no rise , but do not want really wide bars , i have read post after post and websites and some appear to say it relax's your riding postion , i'm after a more agressive riding postion as i have very long arms !

i want to learn more forward , and the Rizoma bars are perfect (as sat on Dx with them) but cannot afford the ££££££ and i am after a cheap mod , i have posted before and the replys have been about GR bars and V-mod , but these read they relax the riding postion and seem very wide to me ?

i almost want a straight bar with a bit of pull back but don't know what sizes are best for width and pull back etc... as never ever ridden a bike with bars like these only sportsbikes and the DX , am after a compact and low look (not my arms spread out wide) but then what about brake lines ? have heard the screaming eagle v-rod bars are like this can any one verify ?

any help would be great !

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Why dont you get a local engineering firm make you a set its only 1" stainless and since there areno bends to speak of should be cheap and easy to do.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thanks should be easy , i was just hoping that someone with this set up could advise on specs like width and pull back etc... and whether i could keep the same lines etc......

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Maybe bars from a Street Rod would be an option, on the 07 model they come in black. Not much rise or pull back, the 06 are chrome and not as wide.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
photo update

found these this is the look i'm after , these are 31 inch wide with 8 inch center , could these be fitted with no mods (i.e fitting new lines)

not worried about being black as will cover them with the "el fatbar mod"

Attachments

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
you can put them on and use the same lines/cables, they'll be a little long but not that bad.

·
Registered
181 Posts
you might have to just relocate you brake cable out side of your forks

where did you find those?

·
Chad
263 Posts
found these this is the look i'm after , these are 31 inch wide with 8 inch center , could these be fitted with no mods (i.e fitting new lines)

not worried about being black as will cover them with the "el fatbar mod"
Just ordered the ones from V-mod (should be here soon) very similair only black, flat 30 inches wide with 4 inches of bend. also read countless threads and 30"-32" should fit fine shorter creates a little problem thats why I didn't go with the Destoyer bars (I really liked them). Well good luck with your search and if I have any problems with useing the stock cables, I'll post up.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah them bars have "rise" i'm after no rise , want a low flat look but without having to change any cables/lines , just after a quick cheap easy mod !

the bars pictured above are on Ebay, what was throwing me was when reading from GR customs site , it says relax's your postion , so it must be the "pullback" that does that , i want to sit more forward , so it looks like bars with a width of around 30"-32" are OK its just chossing the pull back ?

it sure is hard cus you almost need to sit on a bike to feel if OK , like i say sat on a DX with Rizoma's and it was perfect in terms of postion etc... just wanted to replicate those measurments as best i could.

i have to be careful as well as the overall bar width cannot be wider than the stock DX bars as these just go through my gate into my workshop hence i i do not run bar end mirrors else i would !

·
Registered
400 Posts
ahh ok fair one.

If it helps the rizomas are 773mm (30.5 inches) long x 70mm (2.75 inch) rise x 25.4mm ( 1 inch) bar diameter.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I think bone stock bars from a 2007 VRSCX would be exactly what you want. No rise, very little pull back and they're narrower than any other bars I've ever seen on a V-Rod. Be careful ordering as I recall that Harley Davidson had accidentally swapped the X bar part number with the DX bars in an early parts manual.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow great photo !

thats exactly the look i'm after ! that to me looks close the Rizoma postion.

thanks a lot this hs sealed it , off to HD dealer to order , any chance anyone would know the "correct" part number

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I don't know the number. I can't say for sure that your hydraulic lines would work either. Too long maybe? Someone here knows I'm sure.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
found some threads on the cx bars and they say the bars fit no probs to the DX , you just need to slightly loosen the lines to roatate at the switchgear and re-tighten.

found the correct part number cheers.

·
Registered
400 Posts
what is the correct part number please NFN? I am liking the look of those as well.

·
Chad
263 Posts
I wish that I would have seen a pic. of the X bars before ordering the V-mods (recieved yesturday :banghead:), those were exactly what I was looking for. Well if it helps anyone, the correct part number for the X bars is - 55898-07

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah thats the correct part number spent hours on the forum last night reading old threads etc.....

does anyone know if you slighty cracked the clutch/brake line nuts to the cyl's too slightly rotate them as needed for install and then tightened them back up , would you need to bleed the system ?

(only talking about loosen them enough to turn slightly)

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have these bars on my DX for the money you can't beat them.... all i did was loosing the claps that hold everything to the old bar and slid everything off and installed the new one i didn't disconnect any lines or anything. vary easy took me about 20 min. they look great and feel great... def. a better look for the DX

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wicked ! although i have never changed bars i had a feeling that you need not dismantle anything , hence my thread to find out !

mine are on order £62 + 20% VAT

1 - 20 of 29 Posts