Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· AMF
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am looking for some assistance in making the final decision about either applying the HD download or buying the PowerCommander.

I decided to go with the V-Mods, received them Friday and installed them Sunday (Very Easy to Install) and I love the sound especially when compared to the stock quiet mufflers. I also have purchased the K&N air filter but have not installed it yet. The only remaining issue is the download. Reading the various posts it seems to be very easy to use the Powercommander and with the availability of different maps, I like the idea of being able to unplug it and revert back to stock. I am keeping my stock mufflers for when it maybe necessary to go to the shop. I don't want to have issues with the dealer about any mods I may do.

$150 for the download plus $50 to install versus $320 for the Powercommander and unlimited changes as they may become available. The extra $120 seems small with the ability to revert to stock for warranty purposes. I have a 3 year extended that came with the bike so I am looking at a total of 4 years of warranty time.

Sorry for the wordy question.

John

· AMF
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mjw930 said:
John,

It sounds like the PCIIIr is the best bet for you. Shop around, you can find them for less than $250 on eBay and I think Steve sells them under $300 too.

Mark
Thanks for the EBay info. I did'nt even think to look there for the PC. Did a search this morning and found it for $259 + shipping. Saved over $50

Would anybody recommend finishing with a dyno run to tweak the final settings after installing the PC ??

John

· AMF
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not looking to maximize every last pony, I am more concerned with making sure that the mods I am doing do not cause any short or long term damage to my engine. I work in the automotive service industry and I have seen some half baked mods to newer vehicles that have caused damage. Having been in the postion to deny warranty coverage to someone, I do not want to be on the receiving end of "Sorry that is not covered by your warranty" :(

· AMF
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the PowerCommander, received it in 1 day from Eastern Performance Cycles in Gambrills, MD. They sell on EBay.

Had it installed in about 20 minutes including dowloading the 020 map to it. I could really feel the difference after installing it with the new V-Mods and K&N filter. Can't say enough about how much of a difference this setup is from stock. I used to ride past people and never even get a look, now they hear me coming and going from a mile away.

:icon_twis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.