Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AMF
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am looking for some assistance in making the final decision about either applying the HD download or buying the PowerCommander.

I decided to go with the V-Mods, received them Friday and installed them Sunday (Very Easy to Install) and I love the sound especially when compared to the stock quiet mufflers. I also have purchased the K&N air filter but have not installed it yet. The only remaining issue is the download. Reading the various posts it seems to be very easy to use the Powercommander and with the availability of different maps, I like the idea of being able to unplug it and revert back to stock. I am keeping my stock mufflers for when it maybe necessary to go to the shop. I don't want to have issues with the dealer about any mods I may do.

$150 for the download plus $50 to install versus $320 for the Powercommander and unlimited changes as they may become available. The extra $120 seems small with the ability to revert to stock for warranty purposes. I have a 3 year extended that came with the bike so I am looking at a total of 4 years of warranty time.

Sorry for the wordy question.

John

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
John,

It sounds like the PCIIIr is the best bet for you. Shop around, you can find them for less than $250 on eBay and I think Steve sells them under $300 too.

Check out the Techlusion, Kaz reported good success with one on his bike. You can't change the timing but the stock timing isn't that bad. The Techlusion is easy to set up without a Dyno too.

I'm partial to the factory downloads but your warranty concerns are valid and you have to do what makes you comfortable. I have v-mod SE's, SE filter and the race tuner and my dealer raves about my setup and has no issues with warranty since it's all HD parts.

Mark

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
vrodjohn go with the Power commander from the list of options you have given. The dealer will not really have a flash for the v-mods and even the slip ons flash will be a little lean for those pipes. You might also consider the Race Tuner as another option.

Max

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
John,
If you wish to have the most amount of control, get the race tuner. For 80% control, get the PCIIIr (and don’t pay over $300!!!). No matter what the last choice would be the H/D flash, because that is a one shot deal and it costs too much $$ for what you get!

My :2cents

Mike

·
AMF
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mjw930 said:
John,

It sounds like the PCIIIr is the best bet for you. Shop around, you can find them for less than $250 on eBay and I think Steve sells them under $300 too.

Mark
Thanks for the EBay info. I did'nt even think to look there for the PC. Did a search this morning and found it for $259 + shipping. Saved over $50

Would anybody recommend finishing with a dyno run to tweak the final settings after installing the PC ??

John

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Hi John,
There is a download for your set up (M809-020). IF you want to squeeze those extra couple of ponies out and you have a tuner you know is really good, go for it, but it's really not necessary. You would be better served going for a 28T pulley if more performance is what you are after.

John

·
AMF
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not looking to maximize every last pony, I am more concerned with making sure that the mods I am doing do not cause any short or long term damage to my engine. I work in the automotive service industry and I have seen some half baked mods to newer vehicles that have caused damage. Having been in the postion to deny warranty coverage to someone, I do not want to be on the receiving end of "Sorry that is not covered by your warranty" :(

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Just go to the dealer and ask them if buying a Race Tuner from them will void the warranty. If not, have them install it. My dealer said it will not void the warranty. The RT system gives you an edge over the PC independent of other add ons , I think.
Have dealt with PC on other bikes, this is my first Harley. Reading the RT manual and playing with the software just makes it worth the price.:cheers: To me bikes ARE supposed to be playtime.:cool:

·
AMF
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the PowerCommander, received it in 1 day from Eastern Performance Cycles in Gambrills, MD. They sell on EBay.

Had it installed in about 20 minutes including dowloading the 020 map to it. I could really feel the difference after installing it with the new V-Mods and K&N filter. Can't say enough about how much of a difference this setup is from stock. I used to ride past people and never even get a look, now they hear me coming and going from a mile away.

:icon_twis

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
I'm gonna get rid of my pcIIIr over the winter and switch over to the Race Tuner.Alot more tuning can be done with the RT.

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Double checking!
What map is the one I need to start with just an SE filter and topless?
105GQ017-A0.MT2 or 3260702-A0.MT2

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Eduarprmd,

If you haven't upgraded your exhaust then either map will be too rich.

The 105GQ017-A0.MT2 is for international (HDI) bikes. 105GY001-A0.MT2 (update to 3260702) is for US bikes. Both are for the SE slip-ons with the SE filter, topless. You need to determine if your bike is US spec or International spec. I don't have the identifiers handy but I'll look them up if you don't already know how to tell the difference. I think the build plate will say USA or US Spec and/or have HDI somewhere to identify the difference.

Mark

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
I have the Race Tuner right in front of me in a box and the 28T pulley down in the garage somewhere.
Bike is at the dealer for the in tank pump recall.
International? WTF. What's the diff?
If I do not have an exhaust when RT gets installed. What will they download into it?
I guess I need to finish reading the RT Manual. It's on the iPaq. Now I can take it to work.
Blinnng! Wouldn't it be cool if the iPaq could interface with the RT?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts