Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was riding the posted 45mph in heavy traffic down Blanding Blvd in Orange Park, FL. Anyone around here will vouch about the peril of Blanding Blvd.

I got in one of those sitches that we all face- the yellow light comes on just as I'm approaching the intersection. Do I stop or run? Because Clay County just recently erected cameras, I decided to stop. The minivan behind me didn't... at all. The minivan passed between me and the truck in the adjacent lane at 45 mph.

The driver in the car to the right rolled down her window and uttered her disbelief at what she just saw. The driver of the truck to the left motioned with his hands that the minivan missed me by 6 inches.

I am soooo glad that I adopted the practice of stopping at the edge of the lane instead of the middle. If I would have stopped anywhere in the middle of the lane, I would have been crushed.

Make it a habit to stop as far to the outside of your lane as you can so that drivers behind you will have an escape route. That habit may save your life someday too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That was obviously good thinking on your part. I have wondered though just how far over to be in the lane so that cars behind me still recognize that I am still actually in that lane, you know? Did the driver maybe think it was a clear lane? Lots of defensive driving techniques to think about on roads like Blanding.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,147 Posts
Glad to hear you are well and thanks for the advice.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
When I approach a traffic signal, even if it's green, The first thing I do is check my rear view mirror to see just what is behind me and how far behind me it is. Helps me make the proper decision as to whether to run it or move out of the way etc.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I approach a traffic signal, even if it's green, The first thing I do is check my rear view mirror to see just what is behind me and how far behind me it is. Helps me make the proper decision as to whether to run it or move out of the way etc.
I did check my rear view mirror. The minivan was far enough behind me to stop safely. I caught up to it after the light changed and the driver was holding a cell phone in her hand. I believe that she was texting. Naturally, I couldn't tell that in my rear view mirrors.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did check my rear view mirror. The minivan was far enough behind me to stop safely. I caught up to it after the light changed and the driver was holding a cell phone in her hand. I believe that she was texting. Naturally, I couldn't tell that in my rear view mirrors.
Texting. Who are these fools? I was about 3 cars behind a crash Friday on A1A that was prob due to that or cell phone blabbering. Your observation reminds us we need to be even more defensive when riding!

·
boredom kills
2,323 Posts
Texting - the stupidity of drivers doing this is very common where I live.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,147 Posts
I see people texting all the time while driving to work, just last week the young woman in her lexus on the expressway not even looking up. I was in the right lane and looked over and couldn't believe this. It was like 10 seconds of looking down.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This is a good reality check to remind some of us. I do try to accelerate on through lights if at all possible (safely anyways) to avoid being crushed.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I honestly believe that a motorcycle's quick acceleration is a safety device. Regardless of what a bunch revenuing cops say I think running yellows (not reds!) and always staying a few mph faster than the flow of car traffic is the way to go on a bike.

Glad you weren't murdered by that stupid *****.

·
boredom kills
2,323 Posts
...staying a few mph faster than the flow of car traffic is the way to go on a bike. .....
Actually the older NY DMV drivers manual used to state that.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Dave:

Glad you're OK. Did you change your underwear?? I guess the first beer is on me at the Rooster.

We may need to get you a flashing module for your tail light. It seems to be the only thing that get the cell phone and texters attention most of the time.

See you Sunday.

Regards

Jerry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts