Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I have put together, albeit, not very scientific, there is a definite correlation between broken/ejected taillights and having no dog's ass (license plate holder/signal mount/ugly plastic thing) on your bike.

While the dog's ass is considered to be a hideous appendage by some, it actually does serve a purpose besides holding the license plate and being a host for the signals to attach to... it supports the rear lip of your back fender and keeps it from flopping around. I have seen several taillights come in for repair that show obvious signs of contact with the inner fender... these two parts should not be touching!

So, if you are planning on scrapping the dog's keester, take this suggestion... trim all of it away except for the lip that supports the back edge of the rear fender. Or, if you are the creative type, fabricate a support to keep the fender skin from flopping around.

You have been informed.

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,093 Posts
Ya' mean they spent money to design that part for a reason? It wasn't just for the aesthetics? Whooodathunkit?

·
Living Free...
11,581 Posts
Interesting!!!

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
It appears to be a combination of a weird harmonic, and touching. I hate to hack up a stock part, but it seems to be required. Might be another business opportunity, Joe!

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
so is this just on the 07's or is it the same for the 08's?
Thanks

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
all years.
The metal inner fender on my 02 seems to go back all the way to the end of the fender. Is it really possible it could fall out, or does it eject out the top?

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
right out the top... the fender skin flexes, bumping the bottom of the taillight into the inner fender and POP!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts