Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Passion required.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, that didn't work. I installed a $90 Dakota Digital water temperature gage. I put the sensor for the sending unit in the tube where the air bleeder screw goes. The air bleeder screw is 10X1mm thread, and the sensor is 1/8NPT. (National Taper Pipe thread, if you're not familar with the designation) There is only .003 difference in the pitch, so it seemed like I could just snug the brass sensor, and it would seal at some point on the tapered section, and provide a good ground as well. You can't use teflon tape, or any non-conductive sealant, or the sensor won't be properly grounded. The gage is mounted under the tube directly under the sensor (There is a picture in my gallery. http://www.1130cc.com/gallery/files/9/3/8/0/P5110020.JPG) I would have been ok if I had mounted the gage in a different location, but it looked good there, even if I had to bend to the side to read it. There is antifreeze in the coolant, and over a six month period, tiny drops leaked around the sending unit, and down into the gage, which is not waterproof, and it quit working. (The $159 version, plus $29 for the sensor is designed for motorcycle use {water resistant}. I'm a cheap bas**rd.) I had nothing to loose, so I submerged the gage in hot water, soaked it overnight, and blew it out, and let it dry in the hot sun for a couple days, and it partially fixed it. Now it reads "water" across the bottom, but there is no temperature display. Makes me wonder if the sending unit is kaput. Dakota Digital has a two year warranty, but it doesn't cover stupid, so they will fix it for about $50, plus shipping each way. The tech rep was great - said not to seal up the new gage, as moisture then gets trapped inside, and does worse(?) damage. I will very carefully tap out the bleeder hole to 1/8-27NPT, after I drain the coolant (so I can suck out the chips from the tap), and install the new sensor with some kind of electrically conductive sealant (any recommendations?). I'm thinking of grinding up a penny, and mixing in a little waterproof grease to use. Or hammer a little strip of silver solder flat, and wrap the threads with it. Like I mentioned, I'm cheap. :banghead:

·
Registered
964 Posts
I wouldnt tap the bleed hole.

I would think that the two threads while similar will only weaken the seal if tapped from one to another, as well as there will be no taper on the npt now since it was tapped 10 x 1 previously.

there is cheap today and cheap overall.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts