Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered Used
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I dropped the forks and steering stem out to fit Hyperpro springs and re-grease the steering bearings.
All went great.
But, and here's the rub, when I re-fitted the steering column and triple tree the star wheel stripped the steering stem thread.
F***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
And I DIDN'T cross the threads.
It screwed on really smoothly for a good 15-20 threads, but seemed to tighten up a little.
So I tightened it a bit with a spanner.
Big mistake.
As I was tightening the star wheel it was stripping off the threads from the steering stem.
F***!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
So what do I do now?
I cant undo it as the stripped threads are trapped in the threads of the nut and I can't continue tightening it as this will strip all the threads.
Goddamn ally steering stem. What a stupid idea of someone at Harley..
Any HELP would be appreciated.
Cheers

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
Harley actually makes a steel steering stem for our bikes, you can replace it with the steel one.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Cut off the excess sticking up through the nut and then knock the stem through. Should go easy because the threads are gone. Replace with the steel version.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Does the steel stem really fit our triple clamp? Has anyone done this already?

·
Registered Used
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for the advice everyone.
But does the steel stem fit a Streetrod?

Does anyone know what the part no. is for a steel stem?

So is it just a case of pressing the old stem out of the bottom of the bottom triple clamp OR as usanigel seems to infer from the TOP of the bottom clamp.
I've never had to do this before so is it a job I could do myself?
Again thanks for the advice,and maybe the steel stem could cure the dreaded clunk.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Stem is replaceable and stupid money #46781-06A retail in the Usa $281. The "A" means updated part so it may well now be steel. From looking at the parts book there is a retaining clip on the underside. To me this suggests it can be pushed apart and replaced.
New nut looks to be #48324-00 $11.30. 20% off from some of the USA dealers.

No idea the prices in the UK but might be cheaper shipping from here. (I'll help arrange if you like)

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Would be nice to know if that 46781-06A is steel before you buy it. The bok does show the retainer on the bottom so it should come out...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You can't purchase a replacement stem. The stem comes with the bottom clamp. Hence the high cost for a basic part.

Don't cut the stem. Use a dremel or hacksaw to cut the star nut. Remove the circlip from the bottom and tap the stem out. You need to support it around the hole so you don't damage the bottom clamp.

Take the stem to a local machinist and have him turn one (stainless would be nice). Threads are 24 and inch on 1" diameter. Other than the threads, the only thing fancy on the stem is the groove for the circlip.

On the project, the stem was partly sheered off so it needed some harder "tapping" to remove the stem.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
You can't purchase a replacement stem. The stem comes with the bottom clamp. Hence the high cost for a basic part.

Don't cut the stem. Use a dremel or hacksaw to cut the star nut. Remove the circlip from the bottom and tap the stem out. You need to support it around the hole so you don't damage the bottom clamp.

Take the stem to a local machinist and have him turn one (stainless would be nice). Threads are 24 and inch on 1" diameter. Other than the threads, the only thing fancy on the stem is the groove for the circlip.

On the project, the stem was partly sheered off so it needed some harder "tapping" to remove the stem.

DON't do stainless, it will stretch, don't ask how I know

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I replaced the triple tree on my '02 with one with a steel stem. I don't remember what it cost, but I don't think it was more than the $200+ discussed here. Of course, it was chrome. I am using the original nut with '08 torque specs, and have experienced zero fall-away or clunk issues since.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
no one has one in stock in the states....

·
VRSCDX Comuter
392 Posts
Once you have it apart why not fit a grease nipple also. Not sure if there already is one but if there isn't that might be nice, right?

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Once you have it apart why not fit a grease nipple also. Not sure if there already is one but if there isn't that might be nice, right?
You'll have to plug the holes in the frame too, I think Elrod did this mod to his bike.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts

Are you sure the stem comes with the lower triple clamp? Has anyone actually held these parts in their hands? I cannot recall ever seeing a lower triple clamp, new, for only $281. That would be a steal. Most bikes lower triple clamps cost double that. I'v paid prices like that for a used one.
Stems should be pressed out with a hydralic press, and usually with steel stems I heat the triple clamp and let differential expansion of aluminum and steel release the stem from the lower clamp. Ditto when pressing the new stem into the lower clamp. For a lower clamp with an aluminum stem I do not know if heating would do any good, but I would use a press, and use it carefully, before I would bang something out with a hammer.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
In the parts book the stem is shown as a separate piece. With this being the R model its 50% higher in price!

If possible I would warm the parts to disassemble and half the parts to reassemble. Just as Philthy suggests.

·
Member #415
1,712 Posts
Stem IS Attatched to lower clamp. I got a Chrome (w/ steel stem) complete set for 165.00 shipped. It was a couple years ago so may be a bit harder to find.
Good Luck !

1 - 20 of 77 Posts