Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I haven't posted on here in a while since I got rid of my VROD. But I am at it again this time with my 2010 Ultra Limited. I am pulling out the stock 103 and putting in a 120R. So its not liquid cooled but it will have 120hp+ and the Harley sound I love. Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was the perfect VROD bike project for me. But the project was done and I got bored of it and was looking for a new project. So I did a 1948 Indian restore and sold that. Now I am on the limited and 120R swap. So I guess you can say I like doing projects more than keeping the results forever.

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
vanslam;2063648 .... So I guess you can say I like doing projects more than keeping the results forever.[/QUOTE said:
Well let us know when you get bored of this one.:D..

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Hey, me too! Batwing, this time. Comet is already painted, so, just need the bags and fairing. Got the floorboards, exhaust, saddle, giant headlight, and a variety of bits. Should be fun! Joe

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I've got my AW and picked up a Street Glide in the fall... Hadn't planned on keeping both, but... Guess my projects will be going on simultaneously. Best of both worlds.

The difference in handling, braking, performance, etc with the VROD is incredibly noticeable after I've been riding the SG. SG seems like a school bus. Only down side is getting used to the wind without the fairing.

I'm not complaining...lol.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Alex, fit a fairing on your AW. The Dressers (baggers) I rode for 30 years are slow, clumsy tubs compared to a V. I love the look, but hate the performance. Make it do what you want. Joe

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would be my Bike ..... Now . Good luck Vanslam , I see a Turbo in my future .
Glad you are enjoying it. I was thinking of a supercharger but never got there. Can't tell you how many people to this day still talk about the VROD - Road Rod. And the word sick is in every sentence.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alex, fit a fairing on your AW. The Dressers (baggers) I rode for 30 years are slow, clumsy tubs compared to a V. I love the look, but hate the performance. Make it do what you want. Joe
CPTJAM my 2010 Limited is a joy to ride and handles really well, the new frame is amazing. But then I owned a DX and that long low wheel base handled no where near the Limited.

Once the 120R is done I will be looking at approx. 125-130 Hp and 120-130 TQ. I don't think performance will be a problem. :D

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Just beware the heat. A couple guys in town had the 120R installed. "off-road" only - it is not designed to travel. Tom, from HD SE shop, put one in his SG. It made it to Sturgis and back to Milwaukee. Now he needs to rebuild it. Heat was the killer issue. Joe

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
also known as "nut roasters"

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah the heat issue was my concern as well or should I say the lean burning fuel issues. This lean burning heat issue is typical with all HD engines. HD does this to meet EPA limits. After some research and conversation with the guys at fuel moto (including Jamie - he is the one who set up the VROD's base PCIII map) I am going with the Zippers Thundermax Fuel Module with Autotune for my 120R build. The ThunderMax and my custom map will address theses concerns and allows for idle fuel flow mixture adjustments. I have also added an oil cooler. But I will be monitoring exhaust temp, cylinder head temp and oil temp and adjust gas flow accordingly.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Right Click to view

She's home. Actually rode her 40 miles from the dealer to home. First impressions goobs and goobs of torque and power. Acceleration is amazing. 6th gear is not needed under 75. The guys at Long Branch did a super clean job. The ThunderMax is spot on. I have some cleaning to do and it will be to cold to ride for couple of days, but I am a very happy camper. I will post pics later today. Oh yeah while stopped at a light, a guy rolled down the window in his truck and asked if I was cold? I said no, pointed to the 120R tag on the engine, and took off. I wish I had a picture of his face. Still not going over 4K rpm yet but man I can tell there is still plenty more there.

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
We had 5 to 8 inches of snow today. Long Branch was in the storms path. What did you do wait for the roads to vet plowed and then go pick it up? Freaking crazy man.

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
Nice! Probably pulls like a freight train down low.

·
The Instigator!
2,226 Posts
Hey guys I haven't posted on here in a while since I got rid of my VROD. But I am at it again this time with my 2010 Ultra Limited. I am pulling out the stock 103 and putting in a 120R. So its not liquid cooled but it will have 120hp+ and the Harley sound I love. Happy Holidays.
Vanslam makes some nice toyz - saw him and his ride a few times - one of the Jersey boys...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts