• 1qt in 3k miles

Votes: 36 4.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your bike use oil? If you answer yes do so by selecting the amount per 1k miles

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
No, not at all which is surprising!!

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
ha ha not unless the oil filter gasket lets go. I didn't use any oil before my oil blow out and I don't use any after. Now my fuel system thats another subject.

·
Registered
215 Posts
We Use Amsoil 20w50 ...not A Drop In Either Bike...just Changed Both Vrsc's....over 7000miles, Not Even Dirty

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
No, why, should I put some in??? It does seems a little squeaky at times. :)

·
Banned
191 Posts
When my bike was new it used some (@.5 QT/3000 mi). After about 6000 it never used a drop. When I put the 1250 Kit in, it has used @ .25 QT per 1500 miles, but seems to be leveling out. Just seems like the more time is on the motor the more the rings will seat up. IMHO don't think running the snot out of the motor will help seat them quicker, just takes some time and miles. When I did the tear down, I was shocked to see how well the sleeve looked. You could still see the original "FACTORY" hone marks like it was new. Never ever take a hone to these sleeves; they are done at the factory.

Hope this helps

Mike

·
RIDE SAFE!!
615 Posts
not a drop yet and it has 15k now

·
Carbon Yeti
4,598 Posts
None at all.

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
oil usage

When I ran regular old HD20w50, my bike used about 1/2qt per 1500-2000 miles. I changed to Amsoil about 1500 miles ago and it hasnt used a drop since. I do run fairly hard at times. I have also noticed much smoother shifting since the Amsoil switch-over.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
As per the other thread. NOPE, no measurable use since I have been using AMSOIL after the break in period. That was 3 years ago!:D

·
Registered
182 Posts
1st 6500 with HDSyn 1/2 q every 2K, swithched to Amsoil,last 7k have used 1q. I think that the size of the pan vs the dip stick config makes accurate checking of the 'level' quite difficult at best.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Mine drank oil like it was gas when I follwed the HD "reccommended break-in." After that, it found the powerband big time and the oil consumption stopped cold.

Ruthann's 2006 Nightrod got a pretty good break in on the ride home from the delaer and it hasn't used ANY oil.

Fine, it's a case study, and doesn't have any significant power to the sample number of 2 bikes, but it makes for interesting discussion.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts