Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I thought it was normal but now I'm thinking maybe not.

Whenever I start engaging the clutch in first gear, right near the end, as the bike starts going under way and I'm about to fully let off the clutch, my bike stutters a bit and kinda surges. It lasts for about a second. The only way to get off really smooth is for me to really ride the clutch out.

Is this normal? If not, any suggestions as to why it does this?

07 DX
3K miles

Thanks in advance.

Bill

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
Don't know if its normal or not but it sometimes happens with my 03 when pulling out from a stop behind slow vehicles. I think it just wants more RPMs. Had to train myself to let vehicles in front get a couple car lengths in front of me before taking off.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
These Revo motors need some RPM to take off smoothly. Sounds like you just need to get used to your new baby.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
same here...needs more RPMS then my little sporty ever did...not much torque on these REVOs down low when taking off....I also ride it out longer then airhead bike...

its tricky riding with my MP3 player and quiet pipes still....just asking to stall it!

Dan

·
1 Person Biker Gang
287 Posts
When you change your oil to a good synthetic oil the clutch will smooth out pulling off.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
robbwest said:
Had to train myself to let vehicles in front get a couple car lengths in front of me before taking off.
Ha, that's what I'm finding myself doing!

Thanks guys, nice to know this is normal....I think.

·
Carbon Yeti
4,598 Posts
W-w-w-what do you m-m-m-mean by stutter? I n-n-n-n-never noticed anything.

Like everbody else said, keep the revs up.

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,093 Posts
Rev it up n' let er rip. Remember, the redline is 9000 and it doesn't start to breathe until it hits 4000. On your sporty, you were shutting things down just where the VROD is beginning to get going.

·
Fitzy - 1302
1,083 Posts
:them: MY 07 aw does it too!

·
Registered
318 Posts
My 08 NRS will do this also. If I rev it alittle more its ok, I think the large rear wheel may take more power to get underway. A couple of my friends have jap bikes that they added large (wide) tire kits on.
They say they need to rev more on take offs to pull away smoothly since the swaps.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm, it did have synthetic in it from 1K miles until I changed it yesterday (went with whatever the dealer puts in) and didn't seem to notice a difference.
Maybe I'll have to try the Mobil 1 next time.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Although I use and swear by synthetic oils, I dont see them making any difference in how your bike needs more RPM to pull away from a stop. The motor may run smoother, but stuttering (lugging) is just a fact of needing more RPM to pull these heavy bikes from a stop.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
whylee said:
Although I use and swear by synthetic oils, I dont see them making any difference in how your bike needs more RPM to pull away from a stop. The motor may run smoother, but stuttering (lugging) is just a fact of needing more RPM to pull these heavy bikes from a stop.

does the synthetic cause abit more "SLIP"???...since its a wet clutch and within the oil area....maybe it slips more then dino oil?...

i could be totally off here...just a guess but i doubt it.lol

Da

·
1 Person Biker Gang
287 Posts
When I switched to Mobil 1, the bike pulls off smooth at any rpm. It is not necessary to blast off every time just because the bike can. If you are in heavy traffic you must sometimes pull off slower even if you are young and full of p&v. Mobil 1 will make it smoother. It's a fact, don't really care if you believe it or not, just trying to help.

·
Registered
318 Posts
drodder said:
When I switched to Mobil 1, the bike pulls off smooth at any rpm. It is not necessary to blast off every time just because the bike can. If you are in heavy traffic you must sometimes pull off slower even if you are young and full of p&v. Mobil 1 will make it smoother. It's a fact, don't really care if you believe it or not, just trying to help.

Like I said it may run smoother but it will not solve a fuel delievery stutter, thats what fuelers are for.
If you lug any bike with or with out synthetic oil it will still lugg and pop, its all in the fuel delievery.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
I agree there is so much lean surging on my bike its crazy....it idles up and down irratically....and mine stalls about every 10th stop when city riding and shes real hot...i really hope my dobeck will sure all this..cause stock mine is really tought to keep running at all...

and i do beleive this attributes to the need for hi rpm takoffs to not stall...

Dan

·
Registered
318 Posts
ROCKERDAN said:
does the synthetic cause abit more "SLIP"???...since its a wet clutch and within the oil area....maybe it slips more then dino oil?...

i could be totally off here...just a guess but i doubt it.lol

Da

I have not seen a clutch start slipping with syn oils, not to say they cant. I have seen them slip when molly type additives were added.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So whylee, are you saying that I can correct this stuttering in 1st with my PCIII?

·
Registered
318 Posts
chenner said:
So whylee, are you saying that I can correct this stuttering in 1st with my PCIII?
No, im not saying that will cure your problem for sure. But you have more of a chance curing a fuel problem with a fuel tuner than by changing oil.
I know its not a harley but my Honda RC51 had a hard time leaving the line unless it reved alittle. After I installed a PCIII and had it tuned, I can now pull away with very little revs.
If the fuel delivery is right you will be amased at how nice the bike will run, they come from the factory very lean as it is.
Im not saying syn oil didnt solve the problem for someone, I just dont see how it could do it. I use syn oil in all my bikes and vehicles and they do run smoother with it so dont think im trying to start something here. I just want to see your stuttering go away.
My Dobeck tuner arrived today and ill let you know how it goes on my bike.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts