Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Lone Wolf
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys quick question for you..... Mind you the V-Rod is new to me , been around bikes my whole life. But I'm shocked !

2006 Night Rod, 7486 miles , CFR 2 into 1 (HD head pipes), K&N filter , Dyno tune for (07V069002403 , high flow air cleaner & Rinehart 2 into1) , HD slipper clutch , other than that bike is all stock to my knowledge.

I've gone 31.7 miles and used just OVER a 1/4 tank of fuel !!!

Does this sound about right to you ?

If this is correct , this think will have to be someone elses ! I drive 30 miles each way to work, I can't be filling up every 2 days.

Any Thought ..... Thanks Much !

·
F2NV
1,786 Posts
The fuel gauge on the vrod is generally inaccurate. Go by mileage, most fill up at 130ish, some push to 150 miles.

If tuned properly the bike will get 32-40mpg depending who you ask.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
OK guys quick question for you..... Mind you the V-Rod is new to me , been around bikes my whole life. But I'm shocked !

2006 Night Rod, 7486 miles , CFR 2 into 1 (HD head pipes), K&N filter , Dyno tune for (07V069002403 , high flow air cleaner & Rinehart 2 into1) , HD slipper clutch , other than that bike is all stock to my knowledge.

If this is correct , this think will have to be someone elses ! I drive 30 miles each way to work, I can't be filling up every 2 days.

All too common with some tunes. Reminds me of a dealer tuned bike I demo'd before buying my bike. Ran half a tank on a short run and had me rethinking if I wanted a v rod. I tuned my bike with PV, not that that matters but it gets 38 mpg and will tickle 40 mpg at times cruising in warm weather. Stock, I think they list them at 37 mpg. This area needs to be purposely tuned for economy, not just slap fuel to it all over the place which is what most shops do.
Ron

·
Lone Wolf
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys .... I really had hoped that a "modern" FI bike would do considerably better on fuel that that. I've had 3 and 4 cyl liter bikes that do better than that AND can carry much more fuel. I quite bummed out about this now! Anyone interested in a 06 VRSCD ??

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Thanks for the input guys .... I really had hoped that a "modern" FI bike would do considerably better on fuel that that. I've had 3 and 4 cyl liter bikes that do better than that AND can carry much more fuel. I quite bummed out about this now! Anyone interested in a 06 VRSCD ??
Power cruisers are not known for great economy. As an example, V max was no better for milage, likely worse so basically if economy was the goal, you picked the wrong bike.
Ron

·
F2NV
1,786 Posts
I hear the Street 750 gets around 50mpg.

·
"Vrod King"
923 Posts
You could change the drive pulley. Go with a 30 (or higher) tooth pulley instead of the 28 tooth pulley. You'll lose a little getting off the line but with gain mpg. :hmm:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Just don't go the other way! I had a 26 tooth pulley on for a short while, but without a 6th gear it was running like 6K rpms at 65 mph. Sold it to someone on this forum.

Like the others said, the tune is the likely culprit, not that we buy these bikes for their fuel economy anyway. I have mine tuned quite rich, but it runs the way I want it. I don't care what the gas mileage is as long as it runs right.

·
Lone Wolf
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I get that ..... my commute to work is approx 33 miles each way. I'd be fueling up every other day ..... that is a PIA !

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Did a quick 1/4 tank check on mine the other day. Gauge is quite consistant, although I always use odo for fueling. I was showing about 41 miles to the quarter. There was one hard take off during that which don't help economy much.
Ron

·
119WHP/88lbsTQ
138 Posts
Well..get used to it is all I can say..If I go out for a two hour ride, I am filling back up on the way home...

·
Warming sceptic
127 Posts
Sorry but as an economical commuter, especially with a tune, you've simply bought the wrong bike. The 30 tooth will help a bit but by no more than a mile or two per gallon.

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
The fuel gauge on the vrod is generally inaccurate. Go by mileage, most fill up at 130ish, some push to 150 miles.

If tuned properly the bike will get 32-40mpg depending who you ask.
No no no no no!!!! :spank::spank::spank:

You better stop at 100 miles. You have a 2006 which has a smaller (3.7 gal) gas tank than what thetryal has on the bike pictured in his profile pic.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I get better mileage with my RoadGlide than with the VRSCF but I didn't buy it for MPG. The way I drive it my corvette gets better mileage :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Did a quick 1/4 tank check on mine the other day. Gauge is quite consistant, although I always use odo for fueling. I was showing about 41 miles to the quarter. There was one hard take off during that which don't help economy much.
Ron
That got me chuckling. Most of my miles are on the highway. I'd dare say there is not a time I get on my bike when I don't flick the throttle up to at least 100 mph once or more. Hard take off - 50% of the time.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,633 Posts

Assuming your numbers are correct, 31.7 miles for 1/4 tank, so a full tank would be 126.8 miles. Divided by the 3.2 gallons is 39.2 mpg which is pretty good for a big power cruiser. Since you didn't state gallons added and only said 1/4 tank I assume your numbers are not good. How about actually measuring your MPG using your odometer and gas pump, then ask your question.

To directly answer you question. Yes, Someone buying a Harley, ANY HARLEY, without doing actual research on the bike is not only normal but is some sort of rule for first time HD buyers. Pardon me if I didn't quite get what you were asking.

·
Lone Wolf
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And you know that I’m a first time harley rider ....... it’s experts just like you why I don’t post much on forums .....

I’ll bet i’ve ridden more Harley’s than you’ve ever sat on ! However that said as you know , since you know everything , the V-Rod in most all biker circles not considered a Harley for numerous reasons. Unless you’ve immersed yourself in the V-rod since it’s inception , it’s tough to “research” them as up here in the Northeast there are not big numbers of them around. I was unaware that in order to ask any question on this forum you were required to know all there is to know about every aspect of these bikes. I apologize for creating such a situation that you had to type that big long response , in order to make me look like an idiot and you like a freaking genius.
I’ll try and refrain from posting any more questions on this forum as it obviously bothers you when people ask simple questions!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey there rider... Relax. We don't know you or about you. If it came off wrong to you, just realize folks get really passionate about what they love.
These bikes respond to that right handle grip as much or as little as you want them to. Drive gently and they usually do very well for a 600+ lb motorcyle. They just want to go quick and fast so alot of us don't overly concern ourselves with fuel economy. Just drive her gently with a good tune and she'll do well. With the ability to get as froggy as you want to.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts