Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that the ECM stores the VIN.

The only reason I can think of is for theft issues.

So, is this true?

If it is, do you need to go to a dealership after swapping ECMs to have them change the loaded VIN?

Why do I want to know? Well, to test the ECM from my project bike I swapped it out. So, if the VIN is loaded I'll have to rotate them.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
IDK. I have a R cluster I want to put on my roadrod, and need to swap. Joe

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I'm aware of the marrying process. I swapped ECMs. So, I know the boxes need to communicate over the bus. However, this internal communication password or handshake can be based on the chip serial number, not the vehicle VIN.

Does the ECM know the VIN?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
... Does the ECM know the VIN?
The ECM in my 2002 VRSCA has the frame stamped VIN encoded. I assume this was done at the factory or by the dealer. The SERT tuning software allows you to read the VIN that’s assigned to the ECM but doesn’t allow you to change it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so this confirms it. It would be good to know if the dealer can adjust it.

I will swap ECMs before adjusting with the Mastertune. I want it to sync with the one I'm going to use for the project.

·
enigmas
340 Posts
stever975...simply put, if I wanted to change the ECM for another one, is it simply 'plug and play' or are there cryptic codes that need to be entered at some point?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
stever975...simply put, if I wanted to change the ECM for another one, is it simply 'plug and play' or are there cryptic codes that need to be entered at some point?
I’ve never done this so I can only parrot what’s mentioned in the EDM (Electrical Diagnostic Manual).

An ECM from one bike can be used in another as long as the TSM/TSSM/HFSM (the turn signal module) is swapped in also or the password learning procedure is performed (if required) so the ECM and turn signal module can communicate.

If the ECM being swapped in was previously mated to a TSM (bank angle sensor but no security system) and the bike it’s being installed in also has a TSM then no password learning is required.

Password learning requires 30 minutes of ignition “on time” if you don’t have a dealer’s Scanalyzer or Digital Technician software so you need a good battery and I’d suggest pulling the LIGHTS fuse.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Password learning requires 30 minutes of ignition “on time” if you don’t have a dealer’s Scanalyzer or Digital Technician software so you need a good battery and I’d suggest pulling the LIGHTS fuse.
Good point and best to pull the fuse before you begin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts