Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PC3 USB. I have done this many times when the bike was new and no issues. Today I keep getting a msg about can't connect by USB. Does this mean I need to reinstall the software on the laptop?

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

I tried two different lap tops and have the latest 3.2.1 PC3 USB loaded. I wonder if the cable is shot or the PC3.... Does anyone know what happens if the PC3 dies? Will the bike still run but like a default mode?
I had my bike in for the 12k service and when I went on a 200 mile ride over the weekend, I could smell gasoline, and the bike hesitated in 5th gear at around 65-70 mph. Now I can't get the PC3 to communicate. I will see about ordering a new cable.......

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Yes, the bike normally needs to be running to get a map. I suspect if your battery is really new and shiny it doesn't, but mine always has. I note your bike is about the same age as mine. Mine is behaving oddly because the battery is stuffed (modern bikes do that). It still works and I'm busy, so I'll fix it next week.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the bike normally needs to be running to get a map. I suspect if your battery is really new and shiny it doesn't, but mine always has. I note your bike is about the same age as mine. Mine is behaving oddly because the battery is stuffed (modern bikes do that). It still works and I'm busy, so I'll fix it next week.
Louis- Thanks. Yeah I tried running the bike and pulling the map but keep getting the error cannot get map. I ordered a new cable for the power commander and will see if it works. If not, I bet the power commander is dead. I wil also check the wiring just to make sure the unit is getting power.

Bob

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Louis- Thanks. Yeah I tried running the bike and pulling the map but keep getting the error cannot get map. I ordered a new cable for the power commander and will see if it works. If not, I bet the power commander is dead. I wil also check the wiring just to make sure the unit is getting power.

Bob
Power commander cable is a standard USB to mini USB. Pick 'em anywhere, but I'm sure you have one lying around (one probabaly came with your phone / camera / whatever). Very, very unlikely to be the cable. Do you have the right map on the PC? If so can you push the map back over the top?

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Power commander cable is a standard USB to mini USB. Pick 'em anywhere, but I'm sure you have one lying around (one probabaly came with your phone / camera / whatever). Very, very unlikely to be the cable. Do you have the right map on the PC? If so can you push the map back over the top?
I'm an idiot! I thought it was unique to the PC3. I might have one laying around the house. Let me look. I need to see if any lights come on the PC3 (it's tucked under the seat area). Can the bike still run if the PC3 has failed? It's odd.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
I'm an idiot! I thought it was unique to the PC3. I might have one laying around the house. Let me look. I need to see if any lights come on the PC3 (it's tucked under the seat area). Can the bike still run if the PC3 has failed? It's odd.
I've never HAD a failed PC3 so I don't know. But if a failed one just acts a pass through, then it will run like pants. Which is what you have, right? I suspect the map is corrupted and if you re-load all will be well.

But really, you know as much as me now :D

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never HAD a failed PC3 so I don't know. But if a failed one just acts a pass through, then it will run like pants. Which is what you have, right? I suspect the map is corrupted and if you re-load all will be well.

But really, you know as much as me now :D
I am thinking the same thing. I will post back once I try another cable and look at the unit.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

I am not getting any power to the Power Commander as the lights do not come on. If I connect up a 9-volt battery, the unit appears to come on. How can this be possible when the bike still runs? Blown fuse on the bike?

Bob

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Hmm.

I'd have to look, but I don't think any lights come on on mine.

If you connect the battery, can you then get the map?

Mine came as a bare unit, so I can't connect a battery.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm.

No, I connect the 9-volt and the unit flashes the lights then one green light stays on. I tried to get the map but it still cannot communicate with it. I will disconnect it from the bike and then try it with the laptop.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm.

Off the bike, the power commander worked! I was able to read the
map and it looks fine. I went ahead and sent the known good map
back to the unit and it saved. I put back on the bike and still no lights
but maybe that is normal. It's 100 out and I will test ride it another day.

Bob

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i think you don`t have power on the bike to the power comander.. it should light up when the bike is running.it is possible you have a problem with the harness plugs..check for contacts backed out or a possible broken wire in the pwr cmdr harness..

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
On my 2007 VRSCX with PCIII USB, I turn on the ignition and the green "Fuel" lights rotate up and down a couple of times. THE PCIII will NOT communicate with the laptop unless the engine is running. According to the install documents some bikes have to be running some do not. I don't know why the difference.

The PCIII will accept maps using just a 9 volt battery.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will check the harness today and the plugs. The whole thing is very
odd since the bike still runs - just not well.

Will check the fuses too.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Power Commander

The Power Commander must be powered up in order to communicate with the software. Normally
this is done with the unit connected to the bike and the ignition switch in the on position and the kill
switch in the “run” position. The light on the front of the Power Commander must be lit in order to
communicate. Sometimes if the bike is in gear the power is shut off to the Power Commander. Make
sure the bike is in neutral.
Due to the wiring design on certain bikes, the bike must be running in order to communicate with the
Power Commander (PCIII and PCIIIr models only). A list of these bikes follows.
Aprilia Mille
Ducati 748 & 996
Suzuki GSXR600, 750 (2002 model), GSXR1000 & Hayabusa (2002 model)
Triumph Models
Yamaha R1 & Road Star Warrior
If you wish to program the unit without it connected to a bike we do offer a 9-volt “power up” adapter.
This adapter supplies power to the Power Commander so that you can program it on your desk.

This was from Dynojets website
Donald

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Power Commander must be powered up in order to communicate with the software. Normally
this is done with the unit connected to the bike and the ignition switch in the on position and the kill
switch in the “run” position. The light on the front of the Power Commander must be lit in order to
communicate. Sometimes if the bike is in gear the power is shut off to the Power Commander. Make
sure the bike is in neutral.
Due to the wiring design on certain bikes, the bike must be running in order to communicate with the
Power Commander (PCIII and PCIIIr models only). A list of these bikes follows.
Aprilia Mille
Ducati 748 & 996
Suzuki GSXR600, 750 (2002 model), GSXR1000 & Hayabusa (2002 model)
Triumph Models
Yamaha R1 & Road Star Warrior
If you wish to program the unit without it connected to a bike we do offer a 9-volt “power up” adapter.
This adapter supplies power to the Power Commander so that you can program it on your desk.

This was from Dynojets website
Donald
Yeah I kicked it into neutral after I had connected the PC3....I just removed it all together.... so maybe the weekend I will try and mess with it. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I removed the PC3 from the bike and it works just fine (with laptop and 9-volt). On the bike it has no power. I checked the fuses and all.....So, long story short, I completetly removed the PC3 and the bike appears to run well. So I conclude my story by saying my PC3 must be defective after my short 3 years of usage. At this point I'm not sure if I will replace it.

Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts