Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
My 04 vrscb (rineharts w/ stage 1 remap, pingel electrick shifter)is on its way to the dealer for its 1000 mile maint... (1040 actual)
I've had a high speed 'wobble' starting around 85 mph that gets down right scary at 120+, some say their vrod is smooth past 100, what gives? I also have a loud klunk when i go up a ramp to a driveway? Could the nut on the steering head fix both problems? also... around 980 miles I noticed a small decrease in 'smoothness' during 0-60 runs, will the oil change get me back to a "pop-free" ride, or does it need to be tuned? Very Small (gear fluid?) leak near left front started after last ride... will the checkup tighten the case up and eliminate it? BTW, please dont tell me to get used to the wobble... this my fourth bike,combined with my love for speed tells me that no bike should be this unsettling above 100 mph I know a windshiel and open wheels would make a dif, but the bike should be smoth without them. Any help or thoughts are greatly

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
Ive been up to 130 with no unusual vibration. But maybe it was because I had a death grip on the bars. Maybe its your tire balance. Certainly nothing near 60. Should be fixed.

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I am going to ask the dealer to pull the front wheel off for a quick ballance

·
Registered
218 Posts
No it's not normal with my data point of one V-Rod. The front wheel "fall away" check is a service check which could point to a steering head bearing problem as Greenham said. Might want to check the pinch bolts also as someone else has recommended. I had mine going 140 and still pulling (before I decided I didn't want to die that day) and it was rock steady. I did that about 500 miles after break-in, have 9000 on it now. IMHO the V-Rod seems to get more stable at higher speeds especially on windy days when the solid wheels react to crosswinds at lower speeds. I wonder how that 'reason' will fly with a state trooper? "officer, I was holding her steady at 110mph for better control & safety!"

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Hotfoot. At the 1k service, the mechanic checked all the fork measurements. found that the sliders were not set up equally. I also had the clunking, and he fixed that too. The vibration sounds like you lost a wheel weight somewhere. Can happen with the stick on weights we use. Best of luck
Greg

·
Registered
393 Posts
The stick on weights throw pretty easily. I dropped one when polishing the wheels. Put it back on with two sided tape. Holding so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts