Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have those of you who have reduced your rear shock lengths in order to lower the rear end seen any affect to the handling or overall ride of the bike? And how much is everybody reducing by - 1", 1.5", 2"...?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I reduced the installed length by 1.5 inches and see no problems what so ever.

·
Registered
696 Posts
FWIW
If you ride very aggressive through the corners I'd be careful with how much you lower the rear and ignore the front. This will change the balance of the bike and make the front lite which would cause your tire to loose traction.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
It also reduces ground clearance and makes dragging things easier.

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
Mine are down 1" and notice a difference when entering the corner. It's not bad, just different than before. Starting to get used to it.

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
I lowered mine 1.5 inches with Progressive. Gave up a tad of clearance but didn't really notice a major difference in handling. The Progressive setup is quite a bit better than stock though.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Manhorse said:
I lowered mine 1.5 inches with Progressive. Gave up a tad of clearance but didn't really notice a major difference in handling. The Progressive setup is quite a bit better than stock though.
Same here. No dragging and looks much better!

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
keithlee21,
Yes, I sent mine to skullman. No, I didn't lower the front. I really like this combo.

In the photo gallery do a search using my user name.

picture "here it is" before lowered shocks
picture "winter mods" after lowered shocks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Manhorse said:
Did you use the progressive 440? and are they 11.5 inches?

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
Lowering the rear will "slow down" low speed turns but may actually improve handling at higher speeds. If you're going to lower the rear, you should lower the front accordingly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts