Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got me freshly powdercoated lower leg installed. my mechanic told me he uses brake cleaner and apparently it messes up the finish as pictured. he said a powdercoated parts shoud stand the brake cleaner. that scratch are made by fingernal.

when i talked to my powdercoater, he said it is because of the brake cleaner that soften the paint.

so I dont know much about powdercoating, but i know there are tons of people PC their lower legs, swingarm, etc: parts that are commonly exposed to brake cleaner. so I cant be the first guy to find out that "brake cleaner is bad for powdercoat"

so, waht do you think? is it indeed the brake cleaner, or just the bad quality of the powdercoating job?

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
Brake cleaner is the culprit. There is a reason it says not to get overspray on painted parts on the can of brake cleaner.......ask your mechanic if you can spray a can of it on his car if he thinks its ok.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brake cleaner is the culprit. There is a reason it says not to get overspray on painted parts on the can of brake cleaner.......ask your mechanic if you can spray a can of it on his car if he thinks its ok.
paint I agree, but powdercoated?

what is the stock HD black frame painted of then? i recall when i had 00 softail i used brake cleaner to clean caliper and swingarm from brake dust. isn't caliper powdercoated too?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
There was 2 types of brake cleaner, the non-chlorinated is different than the chlorinated brake cleaner. CRC brake cleaner had a red can and a green can. The green can (non-chlorinated) use to destroy paint and powdercoating, plastics and the red can was safe. I used to get cases of the red can brake clean for a buddie in Ca. because he couldn't get it anymore in Cali.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
There was 2 types of brake cleaner, the non-chlorinated is different than the chlorinated brake cleaner. CRC brake cleaner had a red can and a green can. The green can (non-chlorinated) use to destroy paint and powdercoating, plastics and paint and the red can was safe. I used to get cases of the red can brake clean for a buddie in Ca. because he couldn't get it anymore in Cali.
Kind of funny that the "safe" green can stuff is what causes all the damage. I LOVE the CRC Red Can for everything.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just did a test using this red can CRC Brakleen. the can says "non chlorinated". i sprayed a couple drop on the leg and then press thumb and voila, there is my thumbprint. the cleaner just melt the powdercoat paint within seconds. is this really the case of harsh cleaner? how does caliper stand it?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hal, I just re-read your post again and I got you wrong. So the non-chlorinated is the harsh one, the one i am using now.

I am still wondering how a caliper can stand that cleaner.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
On my 06 the calipers look more like anodized not powdwercoated

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I use a lot of brake cleaner.Cases and cases and cases of brake cleaner every month.

If the can reads non chlorinated,extremely flammable and it will kill you,do NOT use it on painted parts.Powder coat is paint.
If the can reads water base,non flammable,or it's bought in California,don't waste your money because environmentally safe products do not work.

·
2" of dangling death
10,933 Posts
Im pretty sure the calipers are not powder coated, Ive done a few and they media blast off way too easy. Powder coating is basicly a powdered paint just baked on, you can buy powder in urethane, epoxy, polyester. I wouldnt recomend useing any solvents on paint or powder

·
Can U See me now
1,672 Posts
Hi Andy,
Mr Brake cleaner is wrong. No solvents.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, so I talked to a another powdercoater near my office, did some test and the verdict: brake cleaner does eat powdercoated paint. he says brake cleaner is potent and should not be used on painted or PCed surfaces. Note that cleaner we use in California may be different than that is avail in other states.

note for brett: the PC guy told me to watch the content: if it has acetone then it is a no-no. my CRC red can has acetone in it. so, be careful.

I asked my mechanic why he uses brake cleaner, and he said he needed to use that to clean build-up rust inside the lower leg. I told him that it is very careless of him doing so, knowing the risk and still doing it. needles to say he wont get business from me anymore.

Now I owe my powdercoater an apology. I will contact him to clear this up. I hope others can learn from my bad experience and NOT doing the same mistake :D oh well, live and learn!

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
I just did a test using this red can CRC Brakleen. the can says "non chlorinated". i sprayed a couple drop on the leg and then press thumb and voila, there is my thumbprint. the cleaner just melt the powdercoat paint within seconds. is this really the case of harsh cleaner? how does caliper stand it?

That is your problem. CA makes everything so difficult with their corruption on what can be used or sold in that state. Non-chlorinated should NOT be used for anything as far as I am concern. Unfortunately CA is hurting you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts