Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Submariner
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After chroming everything up front I'm at a loss on the best way/place to adhere my DOD sticker.

How is everyone else addressing this? Anyone know of something similar to Max's plate he mounted for the inspection sticker that would mount on the front axle?

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
THis has been addressed in a couple previous threads, but without much success. I've seen a guy that has a chromed plate that attached to the left side of the front wheel bolt (the plate was behind the front fork, parallel to it.) My idea, if the cops ever actually ask me to put a sticker on my bike, is to mount a plate under the triple tree that is hinged. I will use velcro to hold it up out of sight when not on base, but will be able to flip it so it hangs down when entering the base. Another guy I know keeps his stickers in an ID holder around his neck. The cops have never given him a hard time about them not being on the bike (yet). Others have put them directly on the forks, widshields, helmets, etc...but that is unacceptable to me at this point.
[If you ask me, the military could save a lot of money by getting rid of the base decals. They are a potential security hazzard, creating a false sense of who is actually in the vehicle as well as identifying military members' vehicles (not to mention the enormous amount of bureaucracy involved in keeping the stickers current).]

BTW - if I were forced to mount the decals on the fork, I would first put down some clear protective tape so that the decal could be removed easier (I know that is a bit contrary to what the military wants)

·
4,638 Posts
ubetyerazz said:
After chroming everything up front I'm at a loss on the best way/place to adhere my DOD sticker.

How is everyone else addressing this? Anyone know of something similar to Max's plate he mounted for the inspection sticker that would mount on the front axle?
As long as you have your DOD sticker in a ID card holder around your neck you will have no problems....
I am stationed at FT. Hood Tx. The largest Military Instillation in the world and as a Military Policeman I can promise you that you will not be turned around at the gate for not having the sticker on your bike.... A little inside note we the Military Police do not have the authority to make you put the sticker on your bike or car to enter the post....I have checked at the PMO and have not found one case in refrence to this subject and we have over 65 thousand soldiers on this post

·
Have Gun Will Travel
1,008 Posts
Maybe the MPs have no authority to put a sticker on a bike or a car but........here at Fort Bragg if you don't have a sticker, you will wait in line to have your vehicle searched. Not wanting to get in an hour before PT, I am not willing to do that.

I have solved the problem simply. I put the decal on the fork. It will come off with a heat gun when I need to take it off. I am not worried about that.

Larry

·
4,638 Posts
larry273 said:
Maybe the MPs have no authority to put a sticker on a bike or a car but........here at Fort Bragg if you don't have a sticker, you will wait in line to have your vehicle searched. Not wanting to get in an hour before PT, I am not willing to do that.

I have solved the problem simply. I put the decal on the fork. It will come off with a heat gun when I need to take it off. I am not worried about that.

Larry
Larry,
Do you have MP'S on the gate or has Bragg turned the gates over to civilian contract?...Either way they must have their head up there ass.... If they are checking vehicles with no DOD stickers then they have their SOP at the gates all dicked up...A vehicle with no DOD sticker should not be allowed to enter they should turn them around....And If you try to enter the Gate on a motorcycle with a DOD sticker in a ID card holder and they still give you a hard time then you are dealing with an idiot.......CSM Bannerman is at FT. Bragg and he is aware of the policy.....

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Ricky G - what is the actual requirement per military regulations? Do we simply have to have the decals, or do they have to be permanently affixed to the vehicle. Dealing w/ some of the young SPs at the AF bases, I realize that they do not always know the true regs..only what they have seen from others. Thanks - Crash

·
Registered
156 Posts
Gents:

I suppose it depends on what type of base you're trying to gain access...my experience with the Navy/Marine Corps currently is no sticker/base pass, no admittance. For example here on Guam, if you don't have a pass/decal you are politely turned around and directed to "Pass and Decal" located outside the gate to get a pass (doesn't matter if you got that O-6 on the ID). Temporary base pass is good for 24 hours. Decals must be "permanently" affixed to the vehicle...they even place the decals on the vehicle for you...no messin' around...strict requirements to get one also.

My solution on my Fat Boy was to make a bracket that was "permanently" affixed to the bike (screwed onto the frame, under the triple tree. I painted it black so that it looked "part of the frame"). The MAA's/MP's don't seem to have a problem with it. Other solutions I've seen included placing the decals on the windshield, on the fork or frame, along with various brackets placed on the bike. No easy answer if you want to ride on base here. :banghead:

I'm transferring to Camp Pendleton in July and I'll have to see what their new regs are. Haven't been stationed there in a few years...they didn't mess around back then either! :whack:

·
Submariner
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here at the sub base if it isn't permanently affixed, you're not getting on base. A few guys tried putting their stickers on a magnet that they could easily remove, which bit them in the a$$ at the gate. One parking/traffic infraction here and you have to see "Judge Judy", who in their cases revoked their base stickers.

If you saw the thread Max posted about the TX inspection sticker plate, that's what I'm looking for, but for the front. I may try and fashion something to mount in place of the reflector on the fork slider.

Crash - I agree, they should do away with them all together and do ID checks regardless.

·
4,638 Posts
Crash said:
Ricky G - what is the actual requirement per military regulations? Do we simply have to have the decals, or do they have to be permanently affixed to the vehicle. Dealing w/ some of the young SPs at the AF bases, I realize that they do not always know the true regs..only what they have seen from others. Thanks - Crash
Hears the Deal......
Yes the DOD sticker program is the same for all branches of the service. But however due to each Military Instillation having their own Provost Marshall (Military term for Chief of Police) The DOD sticker program falls apart and becomes a pain in the ass. Each Provost Marshall has a SOP (Standard Operation Procedure) for their Instillation drawn up by his office and dictates how,where,and when you will place the DOD sticker...Again each Instillation dose it different and it pisses people off to the max....Alot of post require that you attend the Motorcycle Safety Course to gain access and get the sticker to ride your bike on post but that program has GONE AWAY....at FT. Hood and will be fazed out army wide within the next 2 years due to ledgal matters.
To answer a few questions....If the soldier or civilian working at the front pass and ID section puts the sticker on your vehicle THEY ARE WRONG !!! THE STICKER IS TO BE PLACED BY THE OWNER OF THE VEHICLE... Also another big problem is that when you sell your car you are by regulation to scrape the sticker of and turn it in to the PMO.(MP Station) Good luck nobody dose that also the army is looking into doing away with the entire program due to all the inconsistencies from post to post. And with most post going over to civilian contract at the gate they will just check ID cards.....

·
Have Gun Will Travel
1,008 Posts
Here at Bragg, we have gone to civilians at the gate. Great improvement since now, National Guard soldiers do not ahve to be a way from their homes to guard the gates and it gives a lot of the local retirees a good job.

They still require the safety course for a decal for a motorcycle. Since they offer it free of charge and it is given during the duty day, it is within the garrison commander's right to enforce.

The owner of the vehicle places the sticker on the vehicle here, and same thing, you are required to turn in the old one when you sell the vehicle. No one ver does.

Here in Fayetteville, everyone has a sticker. It would be easier to give the three non-military families in the city a sticker instead.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I work at Fort Belvoir and I have my sticker mounted on a polished aluminum plate bolted to lower front caliper bolts on the left side. I have my state inspection sticker above it on one plate and I pop riveted another plate to it for my DoD pass. I have never had a problems gaining access regardless if MP's or civilians were working the gates.

If any one is interested I can forward a pic to you and I would be willing to go pick up a plate for anyone that maybe interested. My local Dealers stocks them, I think they get around $9 or so for one. Just write me directly at [email protected] and I'll help you out

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
601 Posts
I know, if I knew how I would. I sent out a couple of pics yesterday. I'll have to get it back together to move it outside before I get more pics. I took the back tire off yesterday so I can get the tire changed should have it back together tonight.

Dave

·
Gruntman
49 Posts
DoD Sticker on the V-Rod

I have my DoD sticker mounted on a metal plate I picked up from my HD dealer under one of the brake caliper bolts on the left side of the bike similar to the State Inspection/County Sticker plate on the right side of the bike. I also carry my retired ID in a nylon neck carrier around my neck that I have had for years. You can pick one up at the Clothing Sales Store or outdoor outfitter. I have been to Quantico, Fort Belvoir, Fort Myer, HQMC, etc. and when stopped by the sentry at the gate, I show them the DoD sticker and my ID. No problems entering these installations have been encountered! Also, every installation requires you to wear the reflective vest!

Thanks,

Edman

Remember: Rangers Lead The Way!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hay Edman,

Next time your up here let me know and well get together for lunch.

Oh they also require gloves, shoes that cover the ankles, long sleeves. I have one of those traffic vests and had a reflective Harley bar and shield sewn on the back.

Dave

P.S. If anyone wants pics I have gotten my new rear tire on the bike now and can move it outside the garage. Just write me directly and I'll send them to you. I even rode it into work yesterday, new tire is a bit slick, gota get a few miles on it to knock off the shine.

·
Submariner
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Solved my problem

Picked up a piece of 1/16" polished stainless and formed it into a L-bracket 6"L x 2"W for the DoD decal, and 1.25"L x 1"W for mounting on bike. Put adhesive-backed foam on the back to protect the frame, and attached it using an M6 x 1.0 x 20 hex socket head screw (vice the M6 x 1.0 x 16 which is normally there). Now I have the option of removing it without damaging the sticker or my chrome.

http://www.v-rodforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1280

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Chris and Crash...
Both systems look great! Since Aberdeen Proving Grounds is a DOD instalation vs a Military post things are a bit more laxed here! Must have the MCSC (safety course)but aren't required to have a sticker! An ID card will get you on to post! And no reflective vest requirement either! Ft Leavenworth this summer is going to spin my head!
Mike

·
Registered
150 Posts
tbaransk said:
I'm transferring to Camp Pendleton in July and I'll have to see what their new regs are. Haven't been stationed there in a few years...they didn't mess around back then either! :whack:
Just left pendleton, To ride on base you have to go to the MSF course on base, or have a current card. Bike has to pass their safety requirements. (on my rice rocket I had to change my turn signals back to stock. I ended up selling my old chopper, never would pass inspection and it would cost to much to meet the requirments) Oh and the sticker has to go on the left front fork. no exceptions.

Crash's solution would work best on pendleton.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts