Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting a motor cycle for years but I always talk myself out of it by saying they are too dangerous. I am however a very very good driver in autos. Never been in a accident, very defensive, always think someone is out to get me. Wife says I'm too paranoid but shes the one with all the accidents, not me.

I have 3 kids. I feel in love with the Vrod the first day I saw one a few years back. I want one so bad but I feel selfish getting one due to the fact motor cycles are very deadly. Would hate to have 3 kids grow up with out a father. I know, you can die from anything but in a big city riding one of these I would say I am really putting myself at high risk.

How do you justify this? Anyone know any % of people that own bikes and wreck them? or % of people that own them vs dying on one? For instance USA statitics say 10% of people that own motor cycles die ect?

Any input would be great. I also have never met anyone that rides a motor cycle thats never wrecked it! Go figure. It seems like its not really a matter of IF you wreck it but a matter of WHEN you wreck it.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
I don't have any kids, but I know that many of the members here do. Yes riding a MC can be dangerous, but you can't let that prevent you from doing it. If you want to do something and really enjoy doing it then you owe it to yourself to do it. JMHO

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have three kids too, the youngest one being 5. I also would hate for my kids to grow up without their dad BUT I gotta live too. I have made sure that if I am gone they will be taken care of financially. I am careful and would not be honest if I said I did not think about it though. I can not wait until they are done with me as they never will be. I could be killed in a car wreck too but still plan to drive my car. Refuse to live my life afraid of the what ifs. Anyway thats my:2cents:

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
texrod said:
I have three kids too, the youngest one being 5. I also would hate for my kids to grow up without their dad BUT I gotta live too. I have made sure that if I am gone they will be taken care of financially. I am careful and would not be honest if I said I did not think about it though. I can not wait until they are done with me as they never will be. I could be killed in a car wreck too but still plan to drive my car. Refuse to live my life afraid of the what ifs. Anyway thats my:2cents:
What Tex said. I have 2 kids & he pretty much sums it up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have kids and I ride. Knock on virtual wood, but I've never wrecked a bike. Well... I have wrecked while riding motocross, but that's expected every once in a while. I've never been in a street wreck, and I've been riding since I was 16.

I too am paranoid when I'm driving. Which is why my insurance company thinks very kindly of me. I'm especially paranoid on a bike. I do ride with my kids, but never in high traffic areas, and always at a nice easy cruising speed.

So go buy that VROD and enjoy.

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Get a small bike like an enduro of some sort to learn on. You WILL drop it as you learn. I got my first bike at 12 and have been riding since then, but I crashed that bike many times as I learned. Just my :2cents:

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
I have two teenage boys and am a daily rider for work and pleasure. my whole family knows what it means to me, and if it takes me from them they'll know I went doing something I love. on the other hand, I am very cautious and keep in mind that I want to see my kids grow up, so they keep me safe.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have 2 daughters shyenne 9 and Kirstin 11 .I have been ridding most of my life .Knock on wood and thanks be to God I have never been down on the street .My girls love to be on the back of the-D

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
yep

Pondo said:
Get a small bike like an enduro of some sort to learn on. You WILL drop it as you learn. I got my first bike at 12 and have been riding since then, but I crashed that bike many times as I learned. Just my :2cents:
:them:
starting out on a older small bike like a enduro or like a honda shadow,you can pick up a 10 yr old bike for less than a couple grand and your right... its not if, its when, you will wreck.you want to see dangerous get one of then little scooters( i call them liquior cycles) that won't but 35mph now thats dangerous :moped: oh yea i don't have any kids but i do take care of my father and i have ins. plans to cover everything.

·
O5' CVO - $12,000
707 Posts
H-m-m,

That had me caged for past few years as well. I have 4 kids, a 6yr daughter, two 3.5yr twin boys & a 5mo old son. I purchased my bike 3 months ago. Life at home is just a plain nut-house. I needed something that I could go out and do alone to get my mind off of all the commotion at home. Whether it be a 15 min ride to the store or an all afternoon ride. It is a form of therapy for me.

I think about safety all the time. It sucks to get those wake up call reminders when you hear of accidents like last months Brian Raguso aka 4Play and this months Falconfire. These two incidents really made me think about the way I ride and more importantly where I ride. Falconfire had his daughter on the back when he was struck and his bike was totaled. Both are OK, thank the Lord. Brian was not as fortunate. I was just reviewing some of his photo's from that tragic day. There was a couple of pictures of him showing off his new tattoo that he got on his back in mid June. All I can say is that I had tears in my eyes, yeah it even chokes me up right now as I right this.

So, why ride? Because it is a free feeling that not much else could produce. Well maybe hang gliding, but that has it's dangers too. I ride for enjoyment and not as a form of commuter transportation. I choose where I want to ride and when. That allows me to avoid a whole lot of adverse conditions that could hinder my enjoyment or increase the probability of an accident.

Ride to Live and Live to Ride!

So, go buy your V-Rod and hang out on this forum and enjoy the fellowship and the free wheeling fun that awaits you. Do it safely and always remember these threads.

·
DuPage County
419 Posts
Life itself is dangerous. You can do everything right and BOOM! brain aneurism takes you out.

Look, if motorcycles were crazy dangerous, a lot of people wouldn't be riding them -- but a lot of people do. People much more attached to life than me (I think). So, that tells me they must be OK. As an average biker, you'll be fine. If you wanna run 150 mph on a Hayabusa at 4 AM, that increases the danger level a bit...But even THAT results in very few accidents based on the number of riders I see doing 100+ at 4AM and the few news stories I see regarding them disintergrating into a bridge pillar...

Hell, even things like race driving, base jumping, and skydidving are relatively safe nowadays... I think the most dangerous activities statistically are like crab fisherman and driving a taxi, although being on Iraq's national police force seems to be bad as well. You know who says motorcycles are dangerous? The media and the uninformed.

Do what YOU wanna do. Live life like you want to. If the reaper comes calling, he comes...you can't stop that, not even by sitting still in a concrete box.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
My kids like to ride ok :D

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I have two kids and I am one of two kids. Both my parents ride and both have been in an accident. Not all are deadly or debilitating. My Mom ran into the side of a car an was back in work a few weeks later. My Dad ran over a nail and rear tire went down and he got bruised and banged up back at work a week later. I got run off the road and endoed and was back to work a few days later. One of the ladys in our HOG group lost control and id banged up but no one died. I think your fear is your stop and not your kids. Death on a bike is higher than in a car but its not the only thing that happens when you wreck. Besides dont worry about it the new ones have ABS and a kickstand cutoff. LOL Really the truth is you can get hurt and if you ride its a good chance, but death can happen while you sleep, so stay up all night.

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
parks71 said:
I have been wanting a motor cycle for years but I always talk myself out of it by saying they are too dangerous. I am however a very very good driver in autos. Never been in a accident, very defensive, always think someone is out to get me. Wife says I'm too paranoid but shes the one with all the accidents, not me.

I have 3 kids. I feel in love with the Vrod the first day I saw one a few years back. I want one so bad but I feel selfish getting one due to the fact motor cycles are very deadly. Would hate to have 3 kids grow up with out a father. I know, you can die from anything but in a big city riding one of these I would say I am really putting myself at high risk.

How do you justify this? Anyone know any % of people that own bikes and wreck them? or % of people that own them vs dying on one? For instance USA statitics say 10% of people that own motor cycles die ect?

Any input would be great. I also have never met anyone that rides a motor cycle thats never wrecked it! Go figure. It seems like its not really a matter of IF you wreck it but a matter of WHEN you wreck it.

Parks:
I have 3 kids myself. 17, 10 and 8. I know riding a bike is dangerous, but getting in a car can be just as dangerous. I had a co worker who was heading to a McDonalds one day during the clock for breakfast, he was killed crossing the street less than a block from our office! So ANYTHING can be dangerous. I say if you have always wanted a bike, to go out and do it. I would definitely tell you to go and take the MSF course in your area. I was self taught in my backyard in the early 80's and when I took the course in 1999, I learned I was doing lots of things wrong. If you take the course from the beginning, you won't get bad habits. I would tell you to leave the HD mentality outside and ride suited up each and everytime. I can't tell you how many loyal, diehard HD folk comment (negatively, I may add) about me riding in a full face (Nolan flip up) and or with leathers (with padding and reflection) and or padded jeans.
Telling me how I must be sweating to death and not enjoying the ride. There is NOTHING between you and the road if your ARE'NT suited up, you need to protect yourself. Think about it!

·
Registered
164 Posts
It is all about RISK MANAGEMENT.There is nothing "safe" about motorcycling. Educate yourself, keep on educating yourself then educate yourself some more. Ride with the right gear, at the right speeds, on the right roads, at the right times, and anticipate, anticipate, anticipate. Do all of those things and never ever lose respect for the machine you are controlling and the environment in which you ride and you can bring the risk way down... to a level that is worth the payoff. There will always be the "other guy" factor which regardless of what you do will always be there to some degree. Hardly a day goes by that I don't see a biker who is taking far more risk than an intelligent person would ever consider. The risks some are willing to take to be cool is simply amazing. Just this past Friday afternoon I was heading to a meeting in my car on a local freeway and a biker caught my eye as he changed lanes after a toll booth and came over in front of me. The bike looked very different and had a dealer tag with "scooters" written on it. I tried to pull up beside the guy to check it out further but he was going close to 80 and my exit was coming up quickly. I watched him as I got off the freeway, still trying to figure out the make bike he was on.To my amazement he kept turning his head to the side as he had no eye protection at all...not to mention the sneakers t-shirt, no gloves and minimal helmet. I have no idea how he could see where he was going from the wind, never mind the debris in the eyes. I must admit that is the first and hopefully last time I ever see that program but it just goes to show you how stupid people are. I don't know what else to call it! Another guy died in ATL on the freeway over the weekend...paper said he came upon another accident and was unable to slow down in time to avoid colliding with the wreck. Once again...speed kills. Don't know the specifics but if he was going 15-20mph slower bet he would probably have been around to go riding today. I am a firm believer that some people just lack the common sense/motor skills to operate a motorcycle or a car or a lawnmower. I have a neighbor who crashed his boat into an island on a lake near here with his son...no alcohol involved:confused: He sees me ride all the time and wants to get a bike...I cringe to think about it. Trust your gut and if you go for it, do it responsibly and you will be kicking yourself for not having started riding years ago...there is nothing like it! Good luck!!!!!:moped:

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have 2 sons and they grew up riding with dad on the bike and now they are ready to ride one them selves, are you experienced in riding ? are you a reasonably wise person? do you have reasonable agility? if you answered yes to all but experienced then you can get training and learn to ride. worry will keep you from enjoying life, do not spend your life worrying about things just make an informed decision and move on with life. My best friend died in his sleep at the age of 28 so don't fear how you will die it will come as God allows it and be sure you are prepared because you might not wake up in the morning and God does not give you a second chance to be ready for eternity.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sorry, got carried away and didn't answer the question...yes I have kids. Sometimes I ride bitch with no eye protection and let them drive (can't see the near misses with no eye protection!) Wooohoooo!!!!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts