Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been riding around town, never out of town like a trip to the mall (1 hr away) or such...

So I simply turn the iginition switch off, technically speaking, yeah, someone could steal my bike if they were so inclined... well, that's what insurance if for I guess?

Anyway, I abought the chrome Skull key, I wear it around my neck on a black nylon string when I ride... I've never locked my bike up yet.

Just curious if any of you do?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I only use it when I am leaving the bike outside somehere. I NEVER give it to the dealer if I bring the bike in for something.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I use it occasionally... when I dont feel comfortable with the area my bike is in... otherwise... no.

·
Living Free...
11,581 Posts
I have an 06 with keyless start, and Digital Guard Dog. What's a key??? :)

I just have my fob(s)--digital guard dog fob, and alarm fob...

·
Banned
579 Posts
I only use my key when I walk 10ft away from my bike and get that weird ehh I dont trust people today feeling.

·
iTrader Technician
4,467 Posts
CUPCAKE said:
keyless start, and Digital Guard Dog. What's a key??? :)

I just have my fob(s)--digital guard dog fob
:them:

Thanks RJ!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
CUPCAKE said:
I have an 06 with keyless start, and Digital Guard Dog. What's a key??? :)

I just have my fob(s)--digital guard dog fob, and alarm fob...
:stupid: Key's are SO last century.

·
Living Free...
11,581 Posts
rjrivero said:
:stupid: Key's are SO last century.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO last century! Like, ohmuhgod!:D

·
Registered
597 Posts
I lock mine up when I am at work (I don't trust some of the people here at work) or when I am going to be away from the bike in a public place for more than a couple hours. The thing is, even if your bike is locked up if they want it bad enough they will still take it. That is what issurance, gap issurance and theft protection coverage is for. Go ahead, steal my bike, I will just end up with $6,000 to go put down on a new bike.

·
06 SE V-Rod
189 Posts
I always lock mine, except at work I leave the alarm off as the parking deck would shake a bit too much as cars go in and out and set the alarm off.

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
dschminkey said:
I only use my key when I walk 10ft away from my bike and get that weird ehh I dont trust people today feeling.
:them:

·
Registered
161 Posts
louballs said:
when you say "use your key" do you mean lock the fork? If not how can you not use your key to function the bike?? Am i missing something
I don't know about the other V-Rods, but my '07 DX (as is Mark's) can be started without using a key. You need the key to lock the ignition switch so it can't be turned on and then the starter button pressed. Really weird setup that not many people I've run into know about... so no, I rarely use the key to lock the ignition unless things just don't feel right. I always carry it when I'm riding though.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
pacanis said:
I don't know about the other V-Rods, but my '07 DX (as is Mark's) can be started without using a key. You need the key to lock the ignition switch so it can't be turned on and then the starter button pressed. Really weird setup that not many people I've run into know about... so no, I rarely use the key to lock the ignition unless things just don't feel right. I always carry it when I'm riding though.
I think anyone with a softail, or touring bike is intimately familiar with that setup.

·
Registered
161 Posts
rjrivero said:
I think anyone with a softail, or touring bike is intimately familiar with that setup.
I guess that doesn't include louballs, me, or my buddies :) Who BTW quite a few have softails and touring bikes.... circa 1990's. When did this ignition setup first find its way onto bikes?

·
speed enthusiast
291 Posts
I also installed the digital gard dawg and keyless harness on mine, I have not even been able to find my keys since then.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
pacanis said:
I guess that doesn't include louballs, me, or my buddies :) Who BTW quite a few have softails and touring bikes.... circa 1990's. When did this ignition setup first find its way onto bikes?
Good question. I'm not sure when they started.

·
Registered
964 Posts
The SE bikes had this ignition that does not need a key now the dx does (perhaps other 07 models too)

I know my buddy has a 03 duece and same ignition, I had an 06 rk custom with it too...no key needed

·
Out to Lunch
801 Posts
Like the rest, I only lock it when I'm in a place that I'm not comfortable with. I thought about getting the skull key - but I'd use so little and nobody would see it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts