Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired an OEM windshield and brackets for a 2003 Vrod! THANKS DAVE!

However, it appears that my bike has a custom headlight frame. The dude who originally bought it had everything that could be upgraded...upgraded. The frame of the headlight is flush up against the forks for the entire height of the headlight and there is no room for the removable windshield clamp to fit in.

So...do I cut a notch into the frame so I can attach the windshield, OR, is this headlight frame super valuable and everyone is going to beg me to sell it to them?

I'd need to open a small hole in the sides of the headlight frame to allow the clamp to fit around the fork.

Is the one I have considered a "don't mess with it, heirloom"? Honestly, this bike is so old that I don't think it would matter much if there is a small hole in the side of the headlight frame next to the fork. If someone out there has the OEM fixture that wants to swap me for this one, I'd be open to it as I don't want to ruin this one if it is valuable (unless I find out this is a priceless classic and highly desired artifact worth thousands) :cool:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would loosen the bolts on the headlight bracket enough to get the clamps on and retighten the bracket. See if there is enough room without cutting anything. It may be more of a PITA to take the shield on and off. But you probably won't be taking it off much once you ride with it anyway.

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noechamp, it's tighter than a duck's butt. If by the end of the day I don't get any feedback that I'm a damn fool for modifying the cover, I'm just going to modify it. It will barely show at all. I only need to remove about 3mm.

·
Registered
642 Posts
You’re a fool!
actually…. I have no idea, I’m just chiming in! But- I would like to see the headlight in question- maybe post a full pic? You may get better answers as to what you have.

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You’re a fool!
actually…. I have no idea, I’m just chiming in! But- I would like to see the headlight in question- maybe post a full pic? You may get better answers as to what you have.
HA!
No doubt. Fool even if I don't cut into it!

Here's a pic of the lamp. It's really shiny so it is not easy to see that the entire space between the lamp and the forks is filled in. It also has the 100 anniversary badge on it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
That is a good looking bracket/visor. But it is definitely tight there. Your windshield works best when it is all the way down with the lower clamp just above the lower triple tree. A lot less buffeting coming up your sides. Looks like you will have no adjustment to it. It will be all the way up. Noticeable difference in buffeting. I saw a stock chrome bracket on ebay for around $50 I believe. Something to think about anyway.

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw a stock chrome bracket on ebay for around $50
Yea. I saw that too. I tried searching for a custom frame like the one I have to see if I can get an approximate value of it. I have a feeling there aren't a lot of them out there and none for sale at this time. I think I'll just purchase one and keep this one undamaged. If I hack it up, I'll prolly regret it someday. I'm so spoiled by Amazon Prime, I was hoping to find one there that would get to me in a couple days. I will have to wait until the 9th to get one from either ebay or amazon. Damn! I want it NOW!!! :) I was hoping to do a two hour (each way) trip on the NYS Thruway this weekend and I won't do it unless I have a windshield. I would get beat to hell. So...patience is a virtue.

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The unit is a full replacement of the stock bracket. The whole lamp "chassis" is one solid chunk of metal. I ordered the standard bracket from ebay. I'll just have to wait to do my road trip.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
That looks like the 2005 Screamin Eagle CVO headlight bracket that someone added the anniversary badge to. And if so, is ultra rare one year only and very desirable.

69772-04BRACKET KIT, headlight mounting, w/ 966M & 69246-05 (chrome)VRSCSE

Reactions: Wingloader

·
Premium Member
10,815 Posts
Best plan, get a stock one that works with the windshield. Keep that CVO. Getting rare.

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
That looks like the 2005 Screamin Eagle CVO headlight bracket that someone added the anniversary badge to. And if so, is ultra rare one year only and very desirable.

View attachment 607916

Just to clarify the part you have us actually available in the Parts & Accessories catalog in 2006. They only came in chrome. The one referred to above is the same except they came painted to match in the three colors of the 2006 VRSCSE2. I recently purchased one like yours on eBay brand new in the box but it took me months to find one. I would not cut that one up but instead just get a stock bracket.

Reactions: michael morgan

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The 2005 CVO was the only year that was chromed. 69246-05 (chrome)

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took all y'alls advice. I'm just replacing it with a stock bracket. I'll keep it nice and pristine. I'm hoping I might be able to move the anniversary badge to the new bracket. I don't think it has a flat enough area for it though. When searching for a stock bracket I saw some original 2003 anniversary badges for 300 bucks! Holy crap!

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts

Sold a nib SE chrome bracket months ago, went down to France, sold within minutes, buyer prepaid without a question.
Well, can`t hoard all time... can`t we?

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sold a nib SE chrome bracket months ago, went down to France, sold within minutes, buyer prepaid without a question.
Well, can`t hoard all time... can`t we?
LOL! As soon as I get the standard bracket installed and I am happy with it, I'll put the other one up for sale. The CVO bracket is WAY cooler than the standard bracket but I'd rather it go to a good home with someone who would appreciate it.

As soon as I figure out what seat this is, I'll be selling it too. It is a butt buster but is looks dang cool. I plan to ride two up with the wifey so I put the original seat back on it.

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The original seat isn't much better, looks cool but also a butt buster after 80-100 miles. Research the Sundowner Seat. They use to call it the "couch" and thought it was ugly because it was wider than the frame. Those that ride considerable distances swear by the Sundowner, myself included. I have done several 1500 mile weekend trips. Along with a 2500+ mile trip and never regretted installing the "couch" aka "The Castro Convertible"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts