Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Chaps and Chapettes.

I need to buy a couple of coil assemblies for my bike. Warrs tell me it wont be covered by the warranty because my bike is modified so i will do it myself. its only a 20 minute job.

I want to get the parts from jersey HD and they charge £55 each.

Does anyone have a discount voucher code i can use?

thanks,
Ben

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
Hi Chaps and Chapettes.

I need to buy a couple of coil assemblies for my bike. Warrs tell me it wont be covered by the warranty because my bike is modified so i will do it myself. its only a 20 minute job.

I want to get the parts from jersey HD and they charge £55 each.

Does anyone have a discount voucher code i can use?

thanks,
Ben
I don't think dealer can get away with that, unless you've modified the actual coils?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i stretched the springs last night to make better contact between the coil and the spark plug as i read that can sometimes help. I expect they will use that as an excuse. I am sure I can tighten them back againso the dont protrude.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
I don't think dealer can get away with that, unless you've modified the actual coils?
Nope , they can't. The modified part(s) must directly result in a components failure for it to be refused under warranty.
Simply replacing an exhaust or adding a Powercommander has no relation to the coils and thus cannot be refused.
Get them to put the refusal in writing Ben , and then tell them you will take it up with the OFT , who have already made a ruling on this issue (Regulation 1/2003/EC)

PS - are you sure its the coils? I'd be surprised if both failed at the same time....

Steve

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am not sure its the coils but from what i have read and the syptoms it has all points to the coils. I think it is the front coil. the back coil seems ok but if i replace one i may as well replace both at the same time. The front coil has brown stuff oozing out of the top. I have just ordered some NGK Iridium plugs so i'll stick them in when they arrive and see if that helps.

If its not the coil then i dont have a clue what it is. I cant see how it would be related to the exhaust and power commander.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
i am not sure its the coils but from what i have read and the syptoms it has all points to the coils. I think it is the front coil. the back coil seems ok but if i replace one i may as well replace both at the same time. The front coil has brown stuff oozing out of the top. I have just ordered some NGK Iridium plugs so i'll stick them in when they arrive and see if that helps.

If its not the coil then i dont have a clue what it is. I cant see how it would be related to the exhaust and power commander.
Should be an easy check - disconnect the front coil and start the bike - is the rear cylinder hot when you touch it?
Reconnect the front coil and start the bike - does the front cylinder get hot when you touch it? If not swap the rear coil to the front and leave the rear disconnected - does the front now get hot when you touch it?
If both cyinders get hot with both coils connected then its firing OK....

Steve

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
i'm not sure about techy bits but i've found my local dealer cheaper than jersey on accessories.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
took your advice Steve and swapped the coils and checked the temperature of the cylinders. definitley one of the coils. that must be covered under waranty so i'll let Warrs look at it.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
took your advice Steve and swapped the coils and checked the temperature of the cylinders. definitley one of the coils. that must be covered under waranty so i'll let Warrs look at it.
Excellent - if it turns out you have to pay for it yourself let me know and i'll give you the details of a guy I sold a lot of parts to including coils - he drag races his v-rod so has quite a parts stash!

Steve

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok cool. much appreciated

·
Registered
404 Posts
So did you get it fixed?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my coils arrived today so i'll stick them on tonight and hopefully that will be it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fixed!!

swapped out the coil and shes as good as new. It is great when you manage to diagnose and fix a problem yourself.

This is the offending part - not sure what the brown shit is that seems to have creeped through rubber sealent.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts