Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
3001... my figuring is that it took 99 years to go from air cooled to water cooled so another 99 to get that "fancy"...

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
I thought direct injection had maintenance issues, as in, it needs a lot of it?

I'd like to see the ECM have direct control of the valves, using solenoids rather than cams.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

I'd like to see the ECM have direct control of the valves, using solenoids rather than cams.
Talk about maintenance issues... the automotive world experimented with that years ago for cams and the failure rate was tremendous.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
some diesel engines in road tractors have solenoids operating the valves, but i don't remember which ones.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts

DI is seeing a LOT of issues with EXCESSIVE carbon build up on the intake valves and in the intact tract. Seems no one thought about what would happen when you remove the gasoline with its cleaners from showering the valves.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Talk about maintenance issues... the automotive world experimented with that years ago for cams and the failure rate was tremendous.
I recall reading a bit about it. It still sounds like a great idea to me. We could change our cam timing and duration, spark advance, and fuel map. The absolute ultimate in tune-ability.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
electronic control of the valves was too expensive for formula 1 ,, i would bet it will be awhile before it is affordable enough for the masses

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
3001... my figuring is that it took 99 years to go from air cooled to water cooled so another 99 to get that "fancy"...
They run on 1985 technology as it is.
Like I said in the other thread,Harley is deep into the new world of Chindia manufacturing,as is most of the world.When the Chinese,India and Brazil force new technology onto Harley,then and only then will they start using it.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I recall reading a bit about it. It still sounds like a great idea to me. We could change our cam timing and duration, spark advance, and fuel map. The absolute ultimate in tune-ability.
Ford and Chrysler experimented with solenoids years ago.I saw some heads at Mopar school.They work very similar to some of the control bodys in todays Ford transmissions.
The Mopar 604 was one of the first to pulse width modulate each shift solenoid,instead of one PWM pressure control solenoid with multiple open and close shift solenoids.
Maybe we will see some new cylinder head technology now that Mazda is out of Fords picture.I'll bet Mazda has some pretty fancy ideas.
I've always been intrigued with the rotary valve systems.Throw some electronic controls into a rotary system and variable timing with some of these setups is almost infinite,but they still lack in durability.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wouldn't that make it 2110 since the 2011 bikes are out now? I think that you figured it for 990 years instead of 99.

Nevertheless, direct fuel injection has catapulted automotive engines into a new era of fuel efficiency and increased performance. Usually, motorcycles get the newest performance technology first but there are already several different automotive manufacturers using GDI (Gasoline Direct Injection) this year (Ecoboost by Ford as an example). The only motorcycle engine with GDI that I could find so far is the Motus V4.

And what a beauty it is.

Too bad that it is a push-rod, two-valve motor.

Motus MST-01. Made in America.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
How bout we just dump the internal combustion engine all together and just run a turbo jet :)... Then all you have is a green button and a red button... Push the green and your face looks like Joan Rivers on steroids, push the red button and your face looks like an Orangatang :)...

·
Flat Broke
282 Posts
How bout we just dump the internal combustion engine all together and just run a turbo jet :)... Then all you have is a green button and a red button... Push the green and your face looks like Joan Rivers on steroids, push the red button and your face looks like an Orangatang :)...
:them:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Maybe we will see some new cylinder head technology now that Mazda is out of Fords picture.I'll bet Mazda has some pretty fancy ideas.
My '09 Mazda Speed is direct injected.....heard the same about the intake valves getting carboned but we just did an engine inspection with a bore camera and they are all clean. Also there are a couple of powersports models out there that have been direct injected for awhile without issues.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
My '09 Mazda Speed is direct injected.....heard the same about the intake valves getting carboned but we just did an engine inspection with a bore camera and they are all clean. Also there are a couple of powersports models out there that have been direct injected for awhile without issues.
Could be from the alcohol mix in Alaska fuel.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Could be from the alcohol mix in Alaska fuel.
That is the great thing about Alaska.......No additives or blends here. No MTBE, no Ethanol, no Alcohol. So those of us that still run 2 stroke stuff no longer have to search out stations without additives in their fuel.

The biggest reason is because there was no advantage and actually caused more problems because of shipping/length of storage. When we had ethanol in our fuel back in the late 90's and early on in 2000's water was a huge problem and you could not store fuel very long before it spoiled. Also I think one of the reasons they rate our premium fuel at 90 r/m is because of storage length.

The closest thing to Ak fuel having any additives is Shell and their Nitrogen additive, but I do not use Shell fuel.

The funny thing is to hear these car salesman pushing flex fuel vehicles but these fuels are not available in Alaska.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
the GM LNF engine is direct inject turbo, never heard of carbon build up yet.....

·
It's Only Money
1,321 Posts
I think that the Audi R8 is a direct injection set up. I haven't heard of any problems with them as of yet.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Gasoline direct injection has been in production engines since the mid 1990's, first with Mitsubishi, but later with Nissan, Toyota and VW. Now pretty much every major manufacturer sells direct injection engines including GM. It is a proven and thoroughly reliable technology today. Interestingly AMC was fooling around with the idea in the 1970's but didn't have the technology back then to make it reliable.

Direct injection for automotive diesels had to wait for the development of piezoelectric injectors capable of operatiing at the much higher fuel pressures required for direct injection into a diesel engine. With gasoline direct injection, the injection even occurs during the intake stroke, so fuel pressure does not have to overcome combustion chamber pressure, although today there are piezoelectric gasoline injectors that can even add fuel during the combustion event if necessary for power.
With diesel direct injection, fuel in injected near the top of the compression stroke, when the intake air is compressed and hot, hot enough to burn diesel fuel. This requires pressures upwards of 22,000 psi (compared to the 30-35 psi of most gas common rail injection pressures). In heavy duty diesel engines up through the 1990's, these pressures were generated in the injector by a pushrod operated off the engine's camshaft, much like a valve. Fuel was metered to the injector, but it required mechanical force to generate the pressure necessary to atomize the fuel and overcome combustion chamber pressure.
Modern piezoelectric injectors can achieve these pressures electroncally, and with electronic engine management, permit more than one injection of fuel per combustion event, allowing the flame front to be very carefully managed to improve power and reduce noise and emissions.
These are very reliable systems. I don't understand where the stories of problems come from. I'm in the Audi Club, all modern Audi engines have direct injection and there are no problems associated with it. Dead reliable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts