Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of curiosity, does the V-Rod become more difficult to ride after installing a 300 or 360 rear tire? I really like how they look, but I have never ridden any motorcycle with such fat tires. What's it like trying to turn the bike 90 degrees onto a street? Or riding curvy back roads at 40-50 mph?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Never tried one before, but i heard it's a bit tricky to handle it cause the mass dont allow you to incline it more like you do on a normal drive in curves at low speed. :/ Hope anyone talk from his experience.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Another example of Form over Function, a 180 rear on a Street rod with pulled back rake is the best turning V Rod while a 360 on any other V Rod with the kicked out rake will be the worst turning V Rod. It looks really wild & cool but the weight slows the bike down so you end up with a V Rod that looks really cool but won't turn and doesn't go fast - if that's what you want -

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am definitely not going down this road. I'll be happy with the stock tires. I am trying to imagine how you can lean the V-Rod with a 300+ tire! That tire has the maneuverability of a bulldozer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How about this bad boy for sale on FB?

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motorcycle fairing Automotive exterior
Orange Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I first looked at these photos, I thought I was looking at a small diecast model of a custom bike. Then I went to their web site and see this behemoth on sale!

Although I truly appreciate the aesthetics, how could anyone ride that bike? When roads inevitable begins to curve and you have to make a 90-degree turn, how do you turn with those gargantuan tires?

Anyone on this forum ever try riding *any* motorcycle with extra wide tires? I am not in the market for one (unless I win Powerball), but I am curious what the actual riding experience is like.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When I first looked at these photos, I thought I was looking at a small diecast model of a custom bike. Then I went to their web site and see this behemoth on sale!

Although I truly appreciate the aesthetics, how could anyone ride that bike? When roads inevitable begins to curve and you have to make a 90-degree turn, how do you turn with those gargantuan tires?

Anyone on this forum ever try riding *any* motorcycle with extra wide tires? I am not in the market for one (unless I win Powerball), but I am curious what the actual riding experience is like.
Yeah that bike is crazy. I would love to try it, but assume it rides terrible.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yeah that bike is crazy. I would love to try it, but assume it rides terrible.

If they offer test rides, I think I will stop by that dealership the next time I am driving thru NC.

·
Cabeca de Ferro
431 Posts
rideability depends on the size of the tires and wheels.280 rear tires on a 10" or 10,5" wheels are not as terrible as people think, the bike suffers from external influences such as some stones on the ground or defects on the asphalt. These influences pushes the bike to the other side taking the bike out of it's trajetory at low speeds,but in normal speeds it's ride like a 240 tire with a bit more body movement to put the bike where you want it. The 330 on a 12" wheel starts to making things weird because you need to move your body a lot more to make turns.The feeling of the weight is much more pronounced and I see a lot of guys throwing the bike to the side of the curve and the body on opposite direction. The 360 on a 13" or 14" wheel is a trash, the tire is not very rounded and does not to want to change direction,the weight in the corners is absurd and it changes it's direction from a moment to other. 360 on rear and 300 front is the worst case scenario you can imagine, it looks like you are riding a bike on ice.Look at this video of a bike I built some years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Form way over Function -

Nice build Cabeca de Ferro ! I Can't imagine spending that kinda money just for the look - and only to get harder to ride, much slower (without the blower), and actually dangerous in curves. My Streetrod with 180 rear takes constant care in the mountains to setup properly for turns, braking points, exit and power off & on points - even compared to my Triumph Triple which reads your mind and falls into turns. I would never take that bike to the mountains it would be an almost a guaranteed get -off painful or even deadly M/C accident - imagine doing S turns at speed ? Looks very cool though ! To each their own - to guys that value looks over performance it's there for them - and if you can make a living giving them what they want it's all good ! I'm thinking 240-260 rear is all you really need on a V rod to look cool, on a bike that's expected to ride & turn somewhat like a "normal" M/C - anything beyond that you get into a wholly different vehicle, requiring wholly different riding techniques. :blahblah: :D

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
It's not as big of a deal as some make it out to be. At first it may seem a little different but if you ride a lot you get used to it and I'm guessing any changes you make while riding become subconscious over time. Disclaimer: I went from a 180mm to a 300mm tire so I don't have actual experience with a 360mm.

·
Cabeca de Ferro
431 Posts
Nice build Cabeca de Ferro ! I Can't imagine spending that kinda money just for the look - and only to get harder to ride, much slower (without the blower), and actually dangerous in curves. My Streetrod with 180 rear takes constant care in the mountains to setup properly for turns, braking points, exit and power off & on points - even compared to my Triumph Triple which reads your mind and falls into turns. I would never take that bike to the mountains it would be an almost a guaranteed get -off painful or even deadly M/C accident - imagine doing S turns at speed ? Looks very cool though ! To each their own - to guys that value looks over performance it's there for them - and if you can make a living giving them what they want it's all good ! I'm thinking 240-260 rear is all you really need on a V rod to look cool, on a bike that's expected to ride & turn somewhat like a "normal" M/C - anything beyond that you get into a wholly different vehicle, requiring wholly different riding techniques. :blahblah: :D

I agree with you, 240 is a huge and nimble tire considering its dimensions. 180 is a really good and efficient tire "but" skinnier for the look of the bike.Appearance should never take precedence over form, but the customization process is a laboratory for discovering new concepts and this gives us the freedom to "experiment" with new things, even if it doesn't work optimally. They are objects to show the power of some over others (my bike is bigger, more expensive and more powerful than yours). On the other hand, it is exciting to see what we can do by hand, it is a work of art on wheels, that is its function.I am installing a 300 tire on my 06 A right now because I am making this kit for sale.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I agree with you, 240 is a huge and nimble tire considering its dimensions. 180 is a really good and efficient tire "but" skinnier for the look of the bike.Appearance should never take precedence over form, but the customization process is a laboratory for discovering new concepts and this gives us the freedom to "experiment" with new things, even if it doesn't work optimally. They are objects to show the power of some over others (my bike is bigger, more expensive and more powerful than yours). On the other hand, it is exciting to see what we can do by hand, it is a work of art on wheels, that is its function.I am installing a 300 tire on my 06 A right now because I am making this kit for sale.
Yup, the market wants a 300, give them a 300. Good for sales.
Ron

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I said in an earlier post, I truly appreciate the aesthetics. I also applaud your time and effort in experimenting with new ideas, spending the time, money, and effort, into developing an idea into a prototype that will, hopefully, lead to a kit that anyone can install. That innovative thinking and dogged determination is a key reason why we can enjoy riding the kinds of motorcycles that we have today.

If I can offer you a challenge...maybe you can create a cruiser-type motorcycle like the V-Rod whereby you can add 300+ tires and, at the same time, retain the nimbleness and maneuverability of a 240 tire. Yes...that would most likely require designing a new motorcycle from scratch. However, I have learned throughout my career as a college professor that if you plant enough ideas, or "seeds", into the talented innovators we meet throughout our lives, some of these people will sometimes create something that was once considered impossible.

That's one of the reasons why I admire the V-Rod so much. Between 1995 and 2001, Harley Davidson truly created a technologically superior motorcycle, and (in my opinion) an aesthetically true work of art. Although today we have motorcycles that exceed the power and technology of the V-Rod, I have no desire to buy any other cruiser (or sport-cruiser).

I sincerely hope we have an opportunity to see a 2nd generation V-Rod in the future.

·
Registered
336 Posts
As someone who actually has a 300 rear tire I speak from experience that it isnt near as bad as people-who have never ridden one- are saying. It is barely noticable difference from a 240. Personally I dont find it in any way more difficult to ride. The feel is slightly different but no trouble getting it to lean as far as I want. I have absolutely no regrets going with a 300. I have no experience with a 360.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Steam Rollin' on the V !

I just barely got into the V Rod arena with the Street Rod due to it's semi sporty capabilities for limited mountain twisty work 1 & 2 up so I'm not into the city style double big steam roller tire setups, but I do like the look and understand why the greater V Rod community embraces them. Having said that I'd love to go 240 rear for the look and the Muscle or Anniversary wheels are really affordable as well but I'm looking at some Colorado Customs "Cyko" split 10 spoke wheels now in the stock widths do keep the wheels & tires lighter and the bike more nimble. There is no performance advantage to these huge wheels & tires, actually they are a big performance disadvantage so really it's all appearance - but that's most of the V Rod's appeal is for most owners so yea, I get it. :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this post is a trade on the old side ..I I'm days away from ordering a 330 tire kit for my 2014 night ride. I'm getting hammered by my riding buddy's about it's no good and turns at speeds. If I want turns I can hop on my zx7 . Is putting the big tire on the bike that much demon that I have to say 10 hail Mary's and go to confession...
Real advice need on this one

·
Cabeca de Ferro
431 Posts
I know this post is a trade on the old side ..I I'm days away from ordering a 330 tire kit for my 2014 night ride. I'm getting hammered by my riding buddy's about it's no good and turns at speeds. If I want turns I can hop on my zx7 . Is putting the big tire on the bike that much demon that I have to say 10 hail Mary's and go to confession...
Real advice need on this one
The 330 kit does not differ much from the 300, despite being larger in width, it uses a 17 "rim, which makes it very" agile "because the tire maintains the curvature closer to the original. This is the correct theory, because the more the wider the tire, the smaller the wheel diameter must be. The problem is that you will have only one model and brand of tire available on the market. I really don't like the 360, as it has a lot of flat contact area making it very difficult to turn. I have the 300 on my motorcycle and in "civilized" riding there is almost no difference compared to the 240, but there is greater movement of the body and counter-stress to make the turns more aggressively and quickly.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
There is no performance advantage to these huge wheels & tires, actually they are a big performance disadvantage so really it's all appearance - but that's most of the V Rod's appeal is for most owners so yea, I get it.
So there ya go Airman15 if you value Form over Function go for it - and you've got another bike to do what the V Rod won't do with a 330 which is turn well. You'll be turning the bike into a slow rider if any serious curves are encountered because at speed if you don't have the skills in your bag of tricks you may not be able to negotiate the turns, especially the S turns where the bike must be leaned, brought upright and then leaned the other direction - any delay in hitting the proper apex on the turn due to excessive speed for the 330 can result in going off the road trying to turn the bike - this happened to me on an R Model until I learned it's limitations - if it had a 330 I'd probably still be dead. So all I can say is if you do the 330 Mod learn to ride it and it's limitations so you don't end up in the ditch all busted up, ride it in it's restricted capability of Form over Function, and don't try to keep up with your buddies on faster more nimble bikes and you'll be fine

1 - 20 of 22 Posts