Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While out riding to day I heard a tick (sound like a spark from a coil wire) when I get on the throttle at 45 mph.

I was 2 up and there was a bogg on the engine when I cracked the throtle open.

I never had this tick before...When we got home I tried it just by myself...I still got the tick. It only ticks one time and as the rpms come up the bogg goes away and it accelerates fine.

Bogg is me running it in 4th or 5th gear low rpm by myself to get the engine to bogg when I get on the throttle.

I have tried this at differnent rpms and gears and the tick is there.

When I run through the gears easy or hard the tick is not there.
I first thought that the Moded baffles might be the problem... took baffles out and the tick is still there.

Man I forgot how loud the 2-2 reinharts are running wide open...lol
that sound is just amazing.

Could this be a valve opening hard?
Could this just be the nature of the best when bogged down at low rpm's?
Is this like when you get engine knock in your car from cheap gas and you puch it? haha
Any suggestions or help!

Thanks
rod.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
You mention throttle at 45mph in high gear, are you running belt guards? You can look in them and see if the belt has been hitting but at the rpm you mention the belt is terrible about vibrating and hitting the guards if not tight enough. Your also lugging the engine at that rpm, you could very well be getting ping if you have a lot of heat right now.

valves opening hard? Never heard that one.
nature of the beast? Any engine lugged is subject to ping from what I have seen.
Knock from cheap gas? That is what poor gas and advanced timing do so it could very well be ping. Are you running a custom map or pc III?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Max,
I get the tick in differnt gears and different speeds I pulled the airbox cover off to help identify where the tick is coming from. It is coming from the top of the engine.
The engine is warm the fans came on while running through the different rpms and gears pulling the baffles out.
I have a pc111 on with stock map in it. I even pulled the pc111 out and It was still there.
I am going tuesday to have it tuned right.(advanced dyno).
I am running 93 oct.
I guess it is just the ping from the lugging of the engine.
I even ran the rpms up while in neutral... up and down and no tick just under a heavy load conditions.
Thanks
Rod

1 - 3 of 3 Posts