Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm driving a 2010 and a 2016 Nightrod. The 2010 has Dunlop tires (D419 back and D208F front) and the 2016 has Michelin Scorcher 11 on it.

Now: There is a real big difference in handling of those two bikes and I wonder if it's because of the tires.

I'm curious to read what your experiences are in this case.

Thanks in advance,

Marcel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Could also be the riding position, seat, bars, wind protection, suspension setup, power mods, etc. Anything else different between the two? In what environment/conditions do you ride?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I only drive with good weather conditions. There is a difference between the bikes for sure, I just trying to get some experience-replies for the two different tires. Are there noticeable differences in handling?
The 2010 NIghtrod is a bit lower than the 2016, 2010 has upside up frontfork, 2016 has upside down frontfork. Maybe new Michelins on the 2010 improve the handling a bit, that's the answer I'm looking for....
Just for the record: The 2016 handles far better than the 2010....

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts
Tires can be a "personal preference" type of thing but if you search the forum, you'll find that the OEM Dunlops are not at the top of choices.

Short answer to your original question, yeah it's the tires. (and the USD forks. )

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
Dunlop: Bad, as in "they're gonna kill you if there was a sprinkle three states over".

Metzler: Good, as in "They're gonna kill you because you're riding way, waaaaaay beyond what you should be, but you're having a hoot of a time."

·
VRSCF
1,289 Posts
Yes it can be the tires. Just the weight of the tires can make a noticeable difference. the profile too....especially if one tire is worn more than the other.

Fit a new tire and it alwasy feels great compared to a squared off older tire.

Some of us had OE Dunlops in 240 and went to Metzeler 260 and the turn in is so much better, but then the Metz profile was new and the tire is 3lb lighter.

A lot is personal preference and if you find something you like that works well you stick with it. Ive been on 260 Metz 880 since the first OE Dunlop wore out - had 5 of them now, last about 5-6k miles on the rear with "spirited" twisty road riding.

Not tried the mich Scorcher II, it was supposed to be a good improvement over the first generation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts