Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my dx on saturday, rode about 600 miles till today. Everything is fine but the suspension. Since I'm a heavy boy :dance: , I think I've to change something on the suspension. I know, I can adjust the rear suspension but I'm not shure, if it's enough. But what about the frontsuspension ?
Has anyone progressive springs in his forks installed ? What is the difference ?

·
knit whit
1,413 Posts
Stock sucks! Huge difference with Progressive over stock! Isn't as 'spongy'.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know alot of people think the stock shocks suck (they're right), but just get a spanner wrench and adjust the rears. The rears are set from factory for 180 lb. rider on notch 2. I'm 200 lb. and moved setting to notch 3. For me it made a big difference with absorbtion. Rebound still not great, but the extra comfort I got with buying a $10 dollar wrench was well worth it and will prolong the inevitable and expensive complete suspension upgrade.

·
knit whit
1,413 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Pete7539 said:
I know alot of people think the stock shocks suck (they're right), but just get a spanner wrench and adjust the rears. The rears are set from factory for 180 lb. rider on notch 2. I'm 200 lb. and moved setting to notch 3. For me it made a big difference with absorbtion. Rebound still not great, but the extra comfort I got with buying a $10 dollar wrench was well worth it and will prolong the inevitable and expensive complete suspension upgrade.
:them: I figure that will do until the weight comes off :laugh:

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'll have to do mine too... 180 pound setting with my 220 pound ass?

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Pete7539 said:
Well.. when they say they suck, they just aren't expressing the real issue well enough. The fact is, the stock "shocks" don't have any real dampening. So besides the springs being maybe a bit soft for some people, that won't give the same (even close) ride that a good set of REAL shocks can provide.

As far as the front springs in the forks.. Again, there isn't any real dampening and the springs are way soft. The stock springs in the fork were measured at about 1/2 the rate I really needed (I'm 210). So, I replaced them with Race Tech springs and gold valve emulators (which give you good dampening). Now the front can absorb the roughest of bumps without bottoming and if it does bottom, it isn't a "CLUNK".

The ride is so much better that you can't even compare it.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I'm 195 lbs and I have them set on 4. If you like to go fast anything less is too mushy causing the bike to get squirrelly and now when I hit a bump I don't get tossed in the air.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts