Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. The new "SLEEP Act". No aftermarket mufflers louder than original. No removeable baffles. No drilled OEM mufflers.

Bought MY VRSCR in 2016 with Supertrapp mufflers on it. These are now illegal in NYS. I did not get the stock mufflers with it.

Did NYS just take my bike away from me? I've looked across the internet and cannot find unmodified stock mufflers.

NYS sucks...

·
Registered
2006 VRSCR
43 Posts
Mine are original. No changes.
Not sure I want to sell at this time.

Have you tried www.vpartsinc.com?
I've had good luck getting NOS for my R there.

Joe
So. The new "SLEEP Act". No aftermarket mufflers louder than original. No removeable baffles. No drilled OEM mufflers.

Bought MY VRSCR in 2016 with Supertrapp mufflers on it. These are now illegal in NYS. I did not get the stock mufflers with it.

Did NYS just take my bike away from me? I've looked across the internet and cannot find unmodified stock mufflers.

NYS sucks...
I checked vintage for both PN and no joy.

I did run both partnumbers and supposedly they are at knobtowncycle in Kansas city.

Top 65215-06
Bottom 65226-06

Give them a shot.

Joe

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

NYS sucks...
You ain't looking hard enough, I found several NOS sets in 3 minutes.

Can be had new on E-bay

Harley Davidson VRSCR muffler kit 65039-05 NOS | eBay

NEW Genuine Harley Davidson VRSCR/D Slip-on Muffler Full Kit 65039-05 | eBay

New Harley Davidson Chrome V-Rod Muffler Kit 65039-05 VRSCR VRSCRD mufflers | eBay

Harley Davidson V Rod VRSCR/D Slip-on Muffler Full Kit 65039-05 - NEW IN BOX | eBay

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for these links. I hadn't dug down to the part number level in searching. Perhaps $300 - $400 will keep me riding. As long as these pass muster for NYS inspection purposes.

I'll save my supertrapps for when I move to a free state.

I will add, that because I had to pay to buy new mufflers, instead of idling out of my neighborhood quietly, I will now rev the ever-loving shit out of the bike @full 80db leaving at 4:15am every morning instead of much quieter on the now illegal mufflers... Good job NYS.

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
I keep going back to the RUSH song "Red Barchetta" driving / riding the machine after the "motor laws" outlaw them - we're sneaking up on that now the weenies will eventually cut the nuts off all of our rides trying to turn US into weenies - I'm in FL so good for now but I'll move if I have to - having said that I was pretty impressed with the " hollow point " mufflers on the stock 2-1-2 exhaust on my R Model when I bought it - they flowed pretty well but yes, maybe too quiet, but hey if it's legal and keeps you riding - (y):cool:

·
Registered
104 Posts
you're really worried about NYSI when the state failed to send out registration reminders (oh yeah, all motorcycle registrations in NY run out tomorrow 4/30) ........ doubt many, if any inspection station stations will fail you for that they'll just say you changed after the inspection ...... been a mechanic in NY since 1983, NYS inspection still requires them to check for the little flap in the filler neck to the gas tank (lots of vehicles produced that don't have them from the factory ..... besides, how are the police going to ticket you for that, other than Laconia bike week, I don't hear of troopers running around with decibel meters ....... "it's only illegal if you get caught" "Illegal is a sick bird"
Don't mind me, have sold my house in NY and bought property in Tennessee ..............

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you're really worried about NYSI when the state failed to send out registration reminders (oh yeah, all motorcycle registrations in NY run out tomorrow 4/30) ........ doubt many, if any inspection station stations will fail you for that they'll just say you changed after the inspection ...... been a mechanic in NY since 1983, NYS inspection still requires them to check for the little flap in the filler neck to the gas tank (lots of vehicles produced that don't have them from the factory ..... besides, how are the police going to ticket you for that, other than Laconia bike week, I don't hear of troopers running around with decibel meters ....... "it's only illegal if you get caught" "Illegal is a sick bird"
Don't mind me, have sold my house in NY and bought property in Tennessee ..............
My local HD Dealer said they wouldn't pass my bike because it had removable baffles. I almost became a dedicated cager after that conversation. Hence my desperation in finding a solution...

I have no doubt my local deputies would never ticket me, but when a NYS inspection station takes this stance, it's serious.

And yeah, my registration took 7 weeks to get to me after renewal. I just got it the other day after renewing mid-March.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here's another thought......... you don't have to live in Vermont to register a vehicle there, forms are online ...... I registered My new RV and 24ft enclosed there to save 2% in sales taxes ........ they mailed me the plates and registration to NY

·
Registered Insane
Two 2003 VRSCA's: CTHULHU is Black/Sterling, N/A ; EVIL TWIN is Anodized and S/C
1,044 Posts
You can register in Vermont. It will save you in sales tax. You won't need an inspection sticker. But the cops can still pull you for loud exhaust no matter where your bike is from and issue a road-side fine of "up to" $1000 here in New York State now due to the SLEEP Act. It doesn't JUST affect whether or not you can get an inspection. I now have 2 outlawed V-Rods and an outlawed RAM. Just like that...

·
Registered
104 Posts
not seeing it happen, but cops ride harleys too .... there's laws on the books they don't enforce now, like any lights higher than headlights must be covered while on public highways .......... I haven't put a cat back on my 2021 ram 2500..... yet ........

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Not to be that guy but yea, so 45 years ago I drove the U Haul truck by my high school and picked up my yearbook, tossed it on the front seat and left Taxachusetts for Florida. Never looked back - great place to grow up, really loved it but when you get older and have to start paying all the sky high taxes and see the bridges and roads falling apart and wonder where the hell all the money is going and the weather totally sucks it's time to leave. I really enjoy going back for a visit but that's it. Here in FL we have no vehicle inspections and everyone is still pretty safe - yes you can get an excessive noise ticket but generally unless your throttle hand is being an idiot in town they leave you alone. And it's not $1000 like N.Y. that's just highway robbery for the state revenue slush fund.
Personally I don't like obnoxiously loud vehicles just a nice exhaust note so I know the engines running, and maybe my R Model echo's off of overpasses when I spank it underneath passing thru, but is still pretty quiet in cruising. That's the key to exhaust - keep the noise level reasonable - some guys have taken the stock mufflers and cut them almost in half, and put them back together with the EPA/DOT/MFG stamps still visible for the inspectors - that might be an option for you guys dealing with the Noise Nazi's. SuperTrapps would be quieter as well and tunable, for sound and power - quiet for inspection, maybe a little louder after, but baffles are screwed in - they might gig you on that.(y):cool:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
A possible way around the "removable baffle" issue could be installing tamper resistant/proof hardware that can be used and is available?

Reactions: streetrodracer

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not to be that guy but yea, so 45 years ago I drove the U Haul truck by my high school and picked up my yearbook, tossed it on the front seat and left Taxachusetts for Florida. Never looked back - great place to grow up, really loved it but when you get older and have to start paying all the sky high taxes and see the bridges and roads falling apart and wonder where the hell all the money is going and the weather totally sucks it's time to leave. I really enjoy going back for a visit but that's it. Here in FL we have no vehicle inspections and everyone is still pretty safe - yes you can get an excessive noise ticket but generally unless your throttle hand is being an idiot in town they leave you alone. And it's not $1000 like N.Y. that's just highway robbery for the state revenue slush fund.
Personally I don't like obnoxiously loud vehicles just a nice exhaust note so I know the engines running, and maybe my R Model echo's off of overpasses when I spank it underneath passing thru, but is still pretty quiet in cruising. That's the key to exhaust - keep the noise level reasonable - some guys have taken the stock mufflers and cut them almost in half, and put them back together with the EPA/DOT/MFG stamps still visible for the inspectors - that might be an option for you guys dealing with the Noise Nazi's. SuperTrapps would be quieter as well and tunable, for sound and power - quiet for inspection, maybe a little louder after, but baffles are screwed in - they might gig you on that.(y):cool:
Yeah that's the issue though. I have Supertrapps installed. With 5 discs each. They are pretty quiet, but because they are tunable and the baffles and end plate can be removed they fail in NYS. I bought some stock OEM HD mufflers and will just figure on installing them once a year for inspection, then remove them as soon as they cool off getting back home.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah that's the issue though. I have Supertrapps installed. With 5 discs each. They are pretty quiet, but because they are tunable and the baffles and end plate can be removed they fail in NYS. I bought some stock OEM HD mufflers and will just figure on installing them once a year for inspection, then remove them as soon as they cool off getting back home.
I never quelled for a loud exhaust. The Supertrapps were what was on it as a "certified pre-owned" HD bought from a HD dealer. I'm almost convinced the stock mufflers will be louder, but I'll find out here shortly.

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Stock mufflers are really quiet Mossimo70 - when I put a set of Tab slash cut on first thing I thought was " well there's her voice " ! But that was at idle, she was pretty damn loud romping down the street, same as my Bub7 - it took a set of Supertrapp conical end caps on the Tabs and a 4" BMW M3 resonator on the Bub7 to get the noise under control - think you got the right thought put stock on then remove after inspection, just watch it with the loud ones Johnny Law wants your ticket revenue ! :(

1 - 20 of 70 Posts