Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
slave to the grind
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding a good bit this weekend at the Myrtle Beach rally and out of no where, my signals and security system started acting crazy. Every time I hit one of my signals, the four-way flashers would come on. They will go off if I hit the button again or go around a turn, just like a turn signal would. Also, when I click my fob one time to arm the security system, the lights normally flash once and the system is armed. Now, when I click the fob once the signals flash twice and when I click the fob twice to disarm it, it will flash once. basically its acting opposite of what it normally should.

I checked to make sure I didn't have any bare wires in the signal lines and everything checked out okay. So, is my TSSM bad?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Roger

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
... Every time I hit one of my signals, the four-way flashers would come on. They will go off if I hit the button again or go around a turn, just like a turn signal would. Also, when I click my fob one time to arm the security system, the lights normally flash once and the system is armed. Now, when I click the fob once the signals flash twice and when I click the fob twice to disarm it, it will flash once. basically its acting opposite of what it normally should.

I checked to make sure I didn't have any bare wires in the signal lines and everything checked out okay. So, is my TSSM bad?
Do you have any trouble codes? The security light will stay on if you have a current trouble code in the TSM/TSSM, e.g. B1121 or B1122. See checking codes.

Have you done any work on the bike involving the hand controls or wiring in the bars?

What you describe implies a problem with one of the turn signal switches being "stuck" in the on state. This could also be pinched wires.

·
slave to the grind
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The security light does not stay on once the bike is started. Wouldn't the turn signal stay on constantly if it was stuck in the on position? I have not messed with the wiring on this bike for at least 10 months now and everything worked fine up until Saturday. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
The security light does not stay on once the bike is started. Wouldn't the turn signal stay on constantly if it was stuck in the on position? I have not messed with the wiring on this bike for at least 10 months now and everything worked fine up until Saturday. Any other ideas?
It's possible that the TSM/TSSM is bad but I'd check for wiring/connector problems first.

The TSM/TSSM activates the turn signals and warning lights from a 12 V signal that comes from each hand control switch. The right switch 12 V trigger is on the white with brown stripe wire (pin #5 on the right hand control connector, pin #7 on the TSM/TSSM). The left switch 12 V trigger is on the white with violet stripe wire (pin #5 on the left hand control connector, pin #8 on the TSM/TSSM). If these two wires are shorted then a 12 V signal on one could activate both and warning lights would go on.

I'd double check the wiring in your bars and those going to the TSM/TSSM.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Water caught in the grips may cause issues with the turn signal buttons. May be worth a look.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
I had some screwy problems with my bike including turn signal failures among other things.
Turns out the ignition switch needed cleaning out. The TSSM gets its power source from the ignition switch through the accessory fuse, White/Orange wire.

There is also a procedure to "reprogram" the TSSM in the 2007 Electrical diagnostics manual page 3-6 titled "Power disruption and configuring".
I tried the procedure on my 2003 and the TSSM reacted the same as it does on my 2007

Here is the procedure:

With the RUN switch OFF

Turn the ignition switch ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
Click the left turn signal switch twice.

After a few seconds, both turn signal indicators should flash a few times.

Hope this helps.

·
slave to the grind
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had some screwy problems with my bike including turn signal failures among other things.
Turns out the ignition switch needed cleaning out. The TSSM gets its power source from the ignition switch through the accessory fuse, White/Orange wire.

There is also a procedure to "reprogram" the TSSM in the 2007 Electrical diagnostics manual page 3-6 titled "Power disruption and configuring".
I tried the procedure on my 2003 and the TSSM reacted the same as it does on my 2007

Here is the procedure:

With the RUN switch OFF

Hope this helps.

I wonder how I could do this since I use the keyless mod? RJ, any ideas!?!?!?!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Sorry, I'm not RJ, but if you've installed the "Keyless Ignition" you need to pull the "IGNITION" fuse first (this simulates having the RUN switch in the OFF position.) Then proceed with the TSSM "configuration" procedure.
You don't have to do this. You can use the run/stop switch to do this even with the Keyless mod. This would be the same for the ones I made in the past from individual components, as well as the DGD-KIM unit. It *should* work with the one Max outlined using a single realy as well, but I haven't verified it.

RJ

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
You don't have to do this. You can use the run/stop switch to do this even with the Keyless mod. This would be the same for the ones I made in the past from individual components, as well as the DGD-KIM unit. It *should* work with the one Max outlined using a single realy as well, but I haven't verified it. ...
Yes, the "Keyless" setup can be used, if you pull the ignition fuse. Otherwise, since the "Keyless" setup uses the run switch to activate the relay you won't be able to set the run switch "OFF".

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Yes, the "Keyless" setup can be used, if you pull the ignition fuse. Otherwise, since the "Keyless" setup uses the run switch to activate the relay you won't be able to set the run switch "OFF".
Here's the long version:

The Keyless Ignition Module, which ever variation you use, powers the ignition. The grey wire, the power to the run/stop switch comes directly off the Red with Black wire from the ignition.

The Run/Stop switch activates the relay, which in turn energizes the red with black wire, which activates the ignition circuit.

It doesn't matter if you pull the fuse, or flip the run/stop switch 3 times. It powers the same ciruit.

The TSSM receives power from two sources.

Pin 1. Gets power from the battery directly. It is always powered, even when the bike is off. It goes to the security fuse and draws power off the RED battery wire.

Pin 2. Comes from the grey wire. It is the ignition circuit and is from the Red with Black stripe wire.

The short Version:

The run/stop switch can be used to do this procedure, just as if the igniton was in the on position. You don't have to pull the fuse to do this procedure.

When you NEED to pull the Igntion Fuse: This is off topic, but I think it should be said:

When you are using the SINGLE RELAY that Max outlined in his procedure, if you need to run the accessory circuit only, you would need to pull the igntion fuse. For instance, manually entering the alarm disarm code with the turn signals. You need to pull the igntion fuse to enter accessory mode.

With the DGD-KIM, or the version I made of individual components, just push the accessory button which was included with the kit to enter accessory mode and leave the run/stop switch in the stop position.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Here's the long version:

The Keyless Ignition Module, which ever variation you use, powers the ignition. The grey wire, the power to the run/stop switch comes directly off the Red with Black wire from the ignition.

The Run/Stop switch activates the relay, which in turn energizes the red with black wire, which activates the ignition circuit.

It doesn't matter if you pull the fuse, or flip the run/stop switch 3 times. It powers the same ciruit.

The short Version:

The run/stop switch can be used to do this procedure, just as if the igniton was in the on position. You don't have to pull the fuse to do this procedure.
RJ, sorry, you're right, it's not the IGNITION fuse that needs to be pulled. I was looking at that RUN/STOP circuit backwards. My EDM reads: "Set run switch to OFF" for this TSSM configuration procedure. This would disconnect power from the Black with White striped wire (SWICHED POWER) going to ECM pin #13. It may not be necessary to disconnect this wire (and I don't see an easy way to do it.) I'll try it this evening.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
RJ, sorry, you're right, it's not the IGNITION fuse that needs to be pulled. I was looking at that RUN/STOP circuit backwards. My EDM reads: "Set run switch to OFF" for this TSSM configuration procedure. This would disconnect power from the Black with White striped wire (SWICHED POWER) going to ECM pin #13. It may not be necessary to disconnect this wire (and I don't see an easy way to do it.) I'll try it this evening.
No need to apologize. There are instances where you may need to pull the ignition fuse, and I added it to the post above.

To be perfectly honest, I ran to the garage to try it on both the 2003 and the 2006. It works for both. :cheers:

·
slave to the grind
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Here is the procedure:

With the RUN switch OFF

Hope this helps.
I tried to reprogram and it didn't work. I guess I'll take the control covers off this weekend and see if there's anything obvious. other than that, I don't know what else to do. Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I tried to reprogram and it didn't work. I guess I'll take the control covers off this weekend and see if there's anything obvious. other than that, I don't know what else to do. Anyone have any other ideas?
when you did this the left turn signal didn't work at all?

The issue is either the switch or the wires to the left turn signal.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
I was riding a good bit this weekend at the Myrtle Beach rally and out of no where, my signals and security system started acting crazy. Every time I hit one of my signals, the four-way flashers would come on. They will go off if I hit the button again or go around a turn, just like a turn signal would. Also, when I click my fob one time to arm the security system, the lights normally flash once and the system is armed. Now, when I click the fob once the signals flash twice and when I click the fob twice to disarm it, it will flash once. basically its acting opposite of what it normally should.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Roger
EDITED after posting this. If you have the keyless ignition mod things may work differently than what is posted below. I am not familiar with this mod.

Testing on my '03 which has the security system factory installed with the optional alarm.

To activate the system Click and hold the FOB button. After a second or two the alarm will chirp and the turn signals will flash twice.

To Deactivate click the FOB button twice. The turn signal lights will flash once.

This sounds like yours are working normally. At least the activate/deactivate is working like mine does.

The turn signals both flashing when you hit a switch indicates something is not right (DUH). Check out your bulbs. Make sure they are all working properly.
The front are double element, the back are single element. USUALLY when a bulb burns out when you hit a button, the turn signals will blink very rapidly indicating a burned out bulb but you never know.

When the ignition switch is on, the front should have one element burning. When you hit a turn signal switch the other element should light up in addition to the first element staying lit.

Sounds like you have a wiring error of some sort, maybe pinched or shorted.
Try disconnecting the front ones and see if symptoms change
Try disconnecting the rear ones next.

I thought I had a bad TSSM once. Turned out its supply voltage was bad. The ignition switch was dirty and I cleaned it up to fix the problem.

·
slave to the grind
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The lights work, but the problem is when I hit either one of my turn signals, both sides will light up like four-way flashers. They will turn off if I lean the bike or hit the signal button again. Just like a signal should, but its activating both signals not just the one I actually hit.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts