Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
Can anyone tell me if its worth buying the diagnostic manual ? I have the factory service manual but have a chance to buy this one as well. I,m not sure if I really need both and your advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Moto

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
I'll give it my vote. It's a very good manual that pretty much covers all things electrical and how to fix them.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
The manual uses flow charts for troubleshooting. They are easy to follow and lead you to the problem. It reminds me very much of the work packages on military equipment, with a list of necessary tools, the usual warnings and then a step by step of the procedure. If you have an electrical or a drivability problem, or any diagnostic trouble code, you will need to reference the Diagnostic Manual to fix the problem. Look up the code or the problem, find the flow chart and follow the steps. Very straightforward.
What is nice is that the great majority of the problems can be diagnosed with a good Volt-Ohm Meter and some patience. HD has these neat breakout boxes and adapters that plug into the harness to facilitate easy trouble shooting, but if you are careful you can identify the individual wires you need to test and poke a probe into the back of a connector to obtain the same result without the breakout box (dealer unobtainum and very expensive at that). Only a handfull of procedures require use of the Digital Technician, so the manual is well worth having.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
manual

Thanks for your help guys , it helped make up my mind . I bought it at auction on ebay this morning at the starting price of £15 . It will have cost me around $32 including shipping for a new manual . Not a bad score I think.

Cheers

Moto

1 - 4 of 4 Posts